Old 09-15-2008, 02:31 PM
Michael Sullivan

Default Is there a way to automate rsync of updated portage tree across multiple boxes without each having to pull it down from a gentoo mirror

On Mon, 2008-09-15 at 16:17 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> On Monday 15 September 2008 16:09:42 Michael Sullivan wrote:
> > Is there a way to do this? The problem with my
> > theories on how to do this fall apart when I get to the part where a
> > password has to be entered for rsync/scp.
>
> ssh keys.
>
> To avoid running more than one sync at a time, have the clients pull the tree
> from the server in a cron spaced 30 minutes or an hour apart. Make sure you
> pull the entire tree, and if you use eix to run update-eix afterwards on the
> clients

Create ssh keys without passphrases? That's not recommended...

Old 09-15-2008, 02:54 PM
Aniruddha

On Mon, 2008-09-15 at 09:09 -0500, Michael Sullivan wrote:
> I've got three PCs. I want to only have to have one run emerge --sync,
> but for the box running the emerge --sync to be able to rsync the tree
> to the other two boxes automatically (like in the middle of the night
> while I'm asleep). Is there a way to do this? The problem with my
> theories on how to do this fall apart when I get to the part where a
> password has to be entered for rsync/scp. I used to do this with NFS,
> but the box that will be running emerge --sync has a history of locking
> up if there is more than one semi-heavy process going on it at a time,
> so I want each box to have its own copy of the tree. Is there a way to
> do this?

Just setup two boxes to rsync to you primary "emerge --sync box" using
cron. See: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/rsync.xml

Regards,

Aniruddha