Old 09-15-2008, 02:17 PM
Michael Sullivan

Default revdep-rebuild wants to emerge packages that don't exist anymore

Is it safe to attempt to emerge current versions of packages to replace
old versions that aren't available anymore?

Old 09-15-2008, 02:29 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 09:17:24 -0500, Michael Sullivan wrote:

> Is it safe to attempt to emerge current versions of packages to replace
> old versions that aren't available anymore?

Yes, but beware of slotted packages and make sure you emerge a version
for the same SLOT.

--
Neil Bothwick

Men who have playful kittens shouldn't sleep in the nude.

Old 09-15-2008, 02:32 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Monday 15 September 2008 16:17:24 Michael Sullivan wrote:
> Is it safe to attempt to emerge current versions of packages to replace
> old versions that aren't available anymore?

If they have security issues, probably no

Otherwise probably yes

It all depends on the extact reason why the package is not in portage anymore

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 09-15-2008, 05:55 PM
Francesco Talamona

On Monday 15 September 2008, Michael Sullivan wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-09-15 at 16:32 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> > On Monday 15 September 2008 16:17:24 Michael Sullivan wrote:
> > > Is it safe to attempt to emerge current versions of packages to
> > > replace old versions that aren't available anymore?
> >
> > If they have security issues, probably no
> >
> > Otherwise probably yes
> >
> > It all depends on the extact reason why the package is not in
> > portage anymore
>
> Well, based on the files in the /home/michael directory, I'd say
> they're not in portage anymore since this box hasn't been updated
> since around May of 2007...

Beware of libexpat, then!

Ciao
Francesco

--
Linux Version 2.6.26-gentoo-r1, Compiled #2 PREEMPT Fri Aug 15 09:40:53
CEST 2008

Old 09-16-2008, 01:18 AM
Iain Buchanan

Michael Sullivan wrote:

Is it safe to attempt to emerge current versions of packages to replace
old versions that aren't available anymore?

The stable version of revdep-rebuild used to use the last installed
version of a package when rebuilding. You could change this with the -X
option to use the latest available version.

The unstable version of revdep-rebuild did this by default. I'm not
sure if that version has made it to stable yet - probably not by the
sounds of things, so try specifying -X.

He who is known as an early riser need not get up until noon.