Old 09-14-2008, 09:33 PM
Michael Sullivan

Default passwd won't work

I think this is the same problem that wouldn't let me use su -.

michael@bullet ~ $ passwd
passwd: Authentication token manipulation error

I'd like to change my password, but I can't. Any thoughts?

Old 09-14-2008, 09:35 PM
Pintér Tibor

Michael Sullivan írta:
I think this is the same problem that wouldn't let me use su -.

michael@bullet ~ $ passwd
passwd: Authentication token manipulation error

I'd like to change my password, but I can't. Any thoughts?

readonly filesystem?
missing suid?

Old 09-14-2008, 09:38 PM
Michael Sullivan

On Sun, 2008-09-14 at 23:35 +0200, Pintér Tibor wrote:
> Michael Sullivan írta:
> > I think this is the same problem that wouldn't let me use su -.
> >
> > michael@bullet ~ $ passwd
> > passwd: Authentication token manipulation error
> >
> > I'd like to change my password, but I can't. Any thoughts?
>
> readonly filesystem?
> missing suid?

And how would I check for/fix that?

Old 09-14-2008, 09:49 PM
Michael Sullivan

On Sun, 2008-09-14 at 23:35 +0200, Pintér Tibor wrote:
> Michael Sullivan írta:
> > I think this is the same problem that wouldn't let me use su -.
> >
> > michael@bullet ~ $ passwd
> > passwd: Authentication token manipulation error
> >
> > I'd like to change my password, but I can't. Any thoughts?
>
> readonly filesystem?
> missing suid?

What package would I have to emerge to get getresuid? When I did
'apropos suid' it came up with getresuid among others, but I can't seem
to find how to install it. I've got man pages for it, but I can't seem
to find the binary...

Old 09-14-2008, 10:13 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Sunday 14 September 2008 23:38:08 Michael Sullivan wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-09-14 at 23:35 +0200, Pintér Tibor wrote:
> > Michael Sullivan írta:
> > > I think this is the same problem that wouldn't let me use su -.
> > >
> > > michael@bullet ~ $ passwd
> > > passwd: Authentication token manipulation error
> > >
> > > I'd like to change my password, but I can't. Any thoughts?
> >
> > readonly filesystem?
> > missing suid?

> And how would I check for/fix that?

the passwd program is installed in /bin, so run 'mount' and check the options
it displays for the filesystem mounted at '/' and will look like this:

/dev/root on / type reiserfs (rw,noatime,notail)

You too should have 'rw' in the brackets

suid: this is not a program, it is an attribute that you can set for a program
file. I can see from your general comments that you are new to this game, so
I won't try just yet to explain what suid means. Just
run 'ls -al /usr/bin/passwd' and check that the first column looks like mine:

-rws--x--x 1 root root 38464 Aug 4 02:42 /bin/passwd

The 's' is vital, passwd will not work without it.

In another post you mentioned getresuid(). Pretend you never saw this - it is
a system call used by programmers when writing code. A user will never use
it. You already have the ability to make programs suid - it's built into the
kernel and the user programs that switch it on and off are part of a package
called coreutils. I 100% guarantee that it is installed on your machine.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 09-14-2008, 10:29 PM
Michael Sullivan

On Mon, 2008-09-15 at 00:13 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> On Sunday 14 September 2008 23:38:08 Michael Sullivan wrote:

> > > readonly filesystem?
> > > missing suid?

> > And how would I check for/fix that?
>
> the passwd program is installed in /bin, so run 'mount' and check the options
> it displays for the filesystem mounted at '/' and will look like this:
>
> /dev/root on / type reiserfs (rw,noatime,notail)
>
> You too should have 'rw' in the brackets
>
> suid: this is not a program, it is an attribute that you can set for a program
> file. I can see from your general comments that you are new to this game, so
> I won't try just yet to explain what suid means. Just
> run 'ls -al /usr/bin/passwd' and check that the first column looks like mine:
>
> -rws--x--x 1 root root 38464 Aug 4 02:42 /bin/passwd
>
> The 's' is vital, passwd will not work without it.
>
> In another post you mentioned getresuid(). Pretend you never saw this - it is
> a system call used by programmers when writing code. A user will never use
> it. You already have the ability to make programs suid - it's built into the
> kernel and the user programs that switch it on and off are part of a package
> called coreutils. I 100% guarantee that it is installed on your machine.

michael@bullet ~ $ sudo mount
Password:
/dev/hdc on / type ext3 (rw,noatime)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec)
udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,size=10240k,mode=755)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,nosuid,noexec,gid=5,mode=620)
none on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
usbfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs
(rw,noexec,nosuid,devmode=0664,devgid=85)
nfsd on /proc/fs/nfs type nfsd (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
michael@bullet ~ $ ls -al /usr/bin/passwd
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 11 May 16 14:08 /usr/bin/passwd -> /bin/passwd
michael@bullet ~ $ ls -l /bin/passwd
-rws--x--x 1 root root 28712 May 16 14:08 /bin/passwd