Old 09-14-2008, 04:36 AM
Michael Sullivan

Default SSH fixed; now su doesn't work

On Sat, 2008-09-13 at 23:27 -0500, Michael Sullivan wrote:
> I can ssh over to the old box now, but my su command doesn't work:
>

> michael@bullet ~ $ su -
> su: Authentication failure
>
> >From /var/log/messages:
>
> Sep 13 23:23:07 bullet sshd[24134]: pam_unix(sshd:session): session
> opened for user michael by (uid=0)
> Sep 13 23:23:10 bullet su[24142]: FAILED su for root by michael
> Sep 13 23:23:10 bullet su[24142]: - pts/1 michael:root
>
> At first, I thought I might not be in the wheel group, so I checked:
>
> bullet log # grep wheel /etc/group
> wheel:x:10:root,michael,amy
>
> What have I done wrong this time? (I know somebody's going to gripe at
> me about using the root account this way; don't bother. There are far
> too many tasks I do every day that require root privileges to configure
> them all for sudo...)

Please disregard what I said about sudo. I was misinformed. I was told
that every command I wanted to use as a regular user that required root
privileges had to be listed in /etc/sudoers. Now I see that that is not
true. I apologize for my ignorance...

Old 09-14-2008, 04:40 AM
Daniel Beecham

On Sat, 2008-09-13 at 23:36 -0500, Michael Sullivan wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-09-13 at 23:27 -0500, Michael Sullivan wrote:
> > I can ssh over to the old box now, but my su command doesn't work:
> >

> > michael@bullet ~ $ su -
> > su: Authentication failure
> >
> > >From /var/log/messages:
> >
> > Sep 13 23:23:07 bullet sshd[24134]: pam_unix(sshd:session): session
> > opened for user michael by (uid=0)
> > Sep 13 23:23:10 bullet su[24142]: FAILED su for root by michael
> > Sep 13 23:23:10 bullet su[24142]: - pts/1 michael:root
> >
> > At first, I thought I might not be in the wheel group, so I checked:
> >
> > bullet log # grep wheel /etc/group
> > wheel:x:10:root,michael,amy
> >
> > What have I done wrong this time? (I know somebody's going to gripe at
> > me about using the root account this way; don't bother. There are far
> > too many tasks I do every day that require root privileges to configure
> > them all for sudo...)
> >

> Please disregard what I said about sudo. I was misinformed. I was told
> that every command I wanted to use as a regular user that required root
> privileges had to be listed in /etc/sudoers. Now I see that that is not
> true. I apologize for my ignorance...

Or you could do sudo -i or sudo -s...
But that's not a good solution, up to fix su!
(Although, I can't help you. The info you gave us is not much, but I
can't help getting any more...)
:-)

--
Daniel.

Old 09-14-2008, 07:19 AM
Dirk Heinrichs

Am Sonntag, 14. September 2008 06:27:05 schrieb Michael Sullivan:
> I can ssh over to the old box now, but my su command doesn't work:
>

> michael@bullet ~ $ su -
> su: Authentication failure
>
> >From /var/log/messages:
>
> Sep 13 23:23:07 bullet sshd[24134]: pam_unix(sshd:session): session
> opened for user michael by (uid=0)
> Sep 13 23:23:10 bullet su[24142]: FAILED su for root by michael
> Sep 13 23:23:10 bullet su[24142]: - pts/1 michael:root
>
> At first, I thought I might not be in the wheel group, so I checked:
>
> bullet log # grep wheel /etc/group
> wheel:x:10:root,michael,amy
>
> What have I done wrong this time?

Forgot to comment/uncomment the appropriate lines in /etc/pam.d/su?

HTH...

Dirk

Old 09-15-2008, 02:21 AM
Iain Buchanan

Michael Sullivan wrote:

I can ssh over to the old box now, but my su command doesn't work:

michael@bullet ~ $ su -
su: Authentication failure

From /var/log/messages:

Sep 13 23:23:07 bullet sshd[24134]: pam_unix(sshd:session): session
opened for user michael by (uid=0)
Sep 13 23:23:10 bullet su[24142]: FAILED su for root by michael
Sep 13 23:23:10 bullet su[24142]: - pts/1 michael:root

At first, I thought I might not be in the wheel group, so I checked:

bullet log # grep wheel /etc/group
wheel:x:10:root,michael,amy

What have I done wrong this time? (I know somebody's going to gripe at
me about using the root account this way; don't bother. There are far
too many tasks I do every day that require root privileges to configure
them all for sudo...)

does "sudo su -" work? A bit round-about but if su works from sudo,
then it probably isn't a pam issue...

And as much as you might like sudo, sometimes it just ain't suitable.

eg:

sudo echo performance > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq
scaling_governor

won't work because the redirection is done as the user

I have a friend whose a billionaire. He invented Cliff's notes. When
I asked him how he got such a great idea he said, "Well first I...
I just... to make a long story short..."
-- Steven Wright

Old 09-15-2008, 03:20 AM
Norberto Bensa

Quoting Iain Buchanan <iaindb@netspace.net.au>:

sudo echo performance > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq scaling_governor

won't work because the redirection is done as the user

echo performace | sudo tee /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq
scaling_governor

now it does :-P

Old 09-15-2008, 03:52 AM
Iain Buchanan

Norberto Bensa wrote:

Quoting Iain Buchanan <iaindb@netspace.net.au>:

sudo echo performance > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq
scaling_governor

won't work because the redirection is done as the user

echo performace | sudo tee /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq
scaling_governor

now it does :-P

neat, thanks!

innovate, v.: