Old 09-14-2008, 04:27 AM
Michael Sullivan

Default SSH fixed; now su doesn't work

I can ssh over to the old box now, but my su command doesn't work:

michael@bullet ~ $ su -
su: Authentication failure

>From /var/log/messages:

Sep 13 23:23:07 bullet sshd[24134]: pam_unix(sshd:session): session
opened for user michael by (uid=0)
Sep 13 23:23:10 bullet su[24142]: FAILED su for root by michael
Sep 13 23:23:10 bullet su[24142]: - pts/1 michael:root

At first, I thought I might not be in the wheel group, so I checked:

bullet log # grep wheel /etc/group
wheel:x:10:root,michael,amy

What have I done wrong this time? (I know somebody's going to gripe at
me about using the root account this way; don't bother. There are far
too many tasks I do every day that require root privileges to configure
them all for sudo...)