Old 09-13-2008, 06:47 PM
Bob

Default totem-gstreamer: poor performance with all video

Hi,

All sorts of videos work fine with mplayer, xine and vlc, but gnome seems hell bent on using totem for everything with only the gstreamer backend.

As is, I get unwatchable performance using the totem-gstreamer combo, video is choppy and even short videos take a good number of seconds to load.

In the past I have used totem-xine and it was perfect, all I needed really, but there is not the option to use the xine backend anymore

- I have tried setting the video out options in gstreamer-properties to all sorts with no change in results.
- I have tried both the open source ati driver and the proprietary fglrx one.
- I even tried installing Ubuntu but get exactly the same results there.

Nothing seems to change the situation, and am not sure where to go from here.

Does anyone else have similar problems? I can't help but think gstreamer has it in for me...

Any advice or sympathy would be appreciated.

Cheers