Old 09-13-2008, 08:32 AM
"Hilco Wijbenga"

Default How to minimise resource usage during emerge

I have a very small virtual server (just 64MB RAM, no swap) where I'm
trying to install Gentoo. It fails to emerge binutils due to out of
memory. According to the handbook I need 64MB RAM and 256MB swap as a
bare minimum so this result is not entirely unexpected.

Given that I can't add a swapfile (simply not possible in this virtual
server) is the only option more RAM? If yes, then what is the minimum?
Are there ways to reduce the amount of memory used by emerge?

Cheers,
Hilco

Old 09-13-2008, 08:49 AM
Nikos Chantziaras

Hilco Wijbenga wrote:

I have a very small virtual server (just 64MB RAM, no swap) where I'm
trying to install Gentoo. It fails to emerge binutils due to out of
memory. According to the handbook I need 64MB RAM and 256MB swap as a
bare minimum so this result is not entirely unexpected.

Given that I can't add a swapfile (simply not possible in this virtual
server) is the only option more RAM? If yes, then what is the minimum?
Are there ways to reduce the amount of memory used by emerge?

64MB is not enough, not by any stretch of the imagination. Not for
running the system, but for emerge. 512MB should be there for building
with -O2. At *least* 384MB. You'll have a hard time compiling the
compiler itself though; RAM usage with -O2 goes up to 700MB.

With that being said, you can minimize RAM usage by using -O1, or even
-O0 to switch off the optimizer completely. The runtime speed of the
built programs won't be to your liking though.

The only real option is to get more RAM.

Old 09-13-2008, 08:51 AM
Nikos Chantziaras

Nikos Chantziaras wrote:

[...]
The only real option is to get more RAM.

Another option is to emerge on another machine, build binary packages
and emerge those in the embedded system.

Old 09-13-2008, 09:10 AM
Justin

Nikos Chantziaras schrieb:

Nikos Chantziaras wrote:

[...]
The only real option is to get more RAM.

Another option is to emerge on another machine, build binary packages
and emerge those in the embedded system.

Or mount / as nfs on another machine, chroot in that and compile. This
skips the whole extraction part on the embedded system.

What about temporary giving the VM more resources?

Old 09-13-2008, 09:24 AM
Erik Hahn

You could get a bit more memory with compcache, but I doubt it would be
sufficent.

-Erik

Old 09-13-2008, 11:09 AM
Alan McKinnon

On Saturday 13 September 2008 10:32:20 Hilco Wijbenga wrote:
> I have a very small virtual server (just 64MB RAM, no swap) where I'm
> trying to install Gentoo. It fails to emerge binutils due to out of
> memory. According to the handbook I need 64MB RAM and 256MB swap as a
> bare minimum so this result is not entirely unexpected.
>
> Given that I can't add a swapfile (simply not possible in this virtual
> server) is the only option more RAM? If yes, then what is the minimum?
> Are there ways to reduce the amount of memory used by emerge?
>
> Cheers,
> Hilco

Do you have another more powerful gentoo machine available where you can build
the packages there and install just binaries on the virtual server?

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 09-13-2008, 11:25 AM
Simon

Yup, and on mine, here's what I do:
I emerge all on one machine, which uses distcc on 2 other machines. Once
machine1 is up2date, i rsync the binpkgs to machine2 and emerge using -k this
time, all are installed by binary, those that are not found are emerged
normally. Same process on last machine and bingo!

This is more how to maximize resource usage, in a way.

Nikos Chantziaras wrote:

[...]

Old 09-13-2008, 02:10 PM
Justin

Alan McKinnon schrieb:

I have a very small virtual server (just 64MB RAM, no swap) where I'm
trying to install Gentoo. It fails to emerge binutils due to out of
memory. According to the handbook I need 64MB RAM and 256MB swap as a
bare minimum so this result is not entirely unexpected.

Given that I can't add a swapfile (simply not possible in this virtual
server) is the only option more RAM? If yes, then what is the minimum?
Are there ways to reduce the amount of memory used by emerge?

Cheers,
Hilco

Do you have another more powerful gentoo machine available where you can build
the packages there and install just binaries on the virtual server?

Thats exactly what Nikos suggested!!!

Old 09-13-2008, 03:01 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Saturday 13 September 2008 16:10:02 Justin wrote:

> > Do you have another more powerful gentoo machine available where you can
> > build the packages there and install just binaries on the virtual server?
>
> Thats exactly what Nikos suggested!!!

Yeah, funny that. Maybe you can write the new RFC to synchronize all reply
mail to all other replies anywhere in the world.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 09-13-2008, 04:41 PM
"Hilco Wijbenga"

On Sat, Sep 13, 2008 at 01:49, Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@arcor.de> wrote:
> Hilco Wijbenga wrote:
>> I have a very small virtual server (just 64MB RAM, no swap) where I'm
>> trying to install Gentoo. It fails to emerge binutils due to out of
>> memory. According to the handbook I need 64MB RAM and 256MB swap as a
>> bare minimum so this result is not entirely unexpected.
>>
>> Given that I can't add a swapfile (simply not possible in this virtual
>> server) is the only option more RAM? If yes, then what is the minimum?
>> Are there ways to reduce the amount of memory used by emerge?
>
> 64MB is not enough, not by any stretch of the imagination. Not for running
> the system, but for emerge. 512MB should be there for building with -O2.
> At *least* 384MB. You'll have a hard time compiling the compiler itself
> though; RAM usage with -O2 goes up to 700MB.

I assume you mean RAM + swap? Because I have a virtual machine
(VirtualBox) on my home box with 256MB which works perfectly
(including compiling GCC multiple times). It does have lots of swap,
though.

> With that being said, you can minimize RAM usage by using -O1, or even -O0
> to switch off the optimizer completely. The runtime speed of the built
> programs won't be to your liking though.

I've never tried not using -O2. Is the difference really that noticeable?

> The only real option is to get more RAM.

That means paying more. :-) I don't want to do that until I'm sure
this virtual box satisfies my requirements.