Old 09-13-2008, 04:45 PM
"Hilco Wijbenga"

Default How to minimise resource usage during emerge

On Sat, Sep 13, 2008 at 02:10, Justin <justin@j-schmitz.net> wrote:
> Nikos Chantziaras schrieb:
>>
>> Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
>>>
>>> [...]
>>> The only real option is to get more RAM.
>>
>> Another option is to emerge on another machine, build binary packages and
>> emerge those in the embedded system.

Yeah, it looks like this is the way to go. I've never used binary
packages so this will be an interesting exercise.

> Or mount / as nfs on another machine, chroot in that and compile. This skips
> the whole extraction part on the embedded system.

Interesting. I'm not sure if I can, though. I don't have control of
the kernel. I'll investigate.

> What about temporary giving the VM more resources?

Nope, not possible unless I pay more. I had intended to simply use a
big swap file but even that doesn't work. This virtual box doesn't
support it.

Old 09-13-2008, 06:04 PM
Nikos Chantziaras