Old 09-12-2008, 06:47 PM
Alan Mackenzie

Default Network configuration: looking up URLs is very slow; how can I fix this?

Hi, Gentoo!

I bought a new hard drive on Wednesday, and am seriously getting Gentoo
installed (after doing a trial installation in July).

However.... looking up URL's is very, very slow. This is most
noticeable when running emerge. It is very also noticeable running
Firefox; the looking up is _much_ slower than on my existing Debian
sarge system.

Presumably, I need to configure some sort of DNS cache, or proxy, or
whatever it might be called. I've looked in
<http://www.gentoo.org/doc/>, but couldn't find a network configuration
manual there.

Would somebody give me a pointer, please? Thanks!

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).