Old 09-12-2008, 11:30 AM
"Daniel Pielmeier"

Default user & group

2008/9/12 Hinko Kocevar <hinko.kocevar@cetrtapot.si>:
> Hi,
>
> When I create a new user on my machine the user belongs to its own group - and not the group 'users'. Also when creating directory the user creates it with its group name instead of users group. How can this be fixed, so that user belongs to users group by default and hence all the files it created belong to users group as well?

You may take a look at the useradd man page especially the -g and the -n option.

Regards,

Daniel

Old 09-12-2008, 11:34 AM
Alan McKinnon

On Friday 12 September 2008 13:18:02 Hinko Kocevar wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When I create a new user on my machine the user belongs to its own group -
> and not the group 'users'. Also when creating directory the user creates it
> with its group name instead of users group. How can this be fixed, so that
> user belongs to users group by default

man useradd
cat /etc/defaults/useradd

> and hence all the files it created
> belong to users group as well?

change the primary group in /etc/passwd to be that of the users group

It's also in /etc/default/useradd, I think

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 09-12-2008, 11:36 AM
Dirk Heinrichs

Am Freitag 12 September 2008 13:18:02 schrieb ext Hinko Kocevar:

> When I create a new user on my machine the user belongs to its own group -
> and not the group 'users'. Also when creating directory the user creates it
> with its group name instead of users group. How can this be fixed, so that
> user belongs to users group by default and hence all the files it created
> belong to users group as well?

useradd -N is what you want. See man 8 useradd.

HTH...

Dirk
--
Dirk Heinrichs | Tel: +49 (0)162 234 3408
D-40468 Düsseldorf | ICQ#: 110037733