Old 09-12-2008, 12:51 AM
Dale

Default dial-up, switching isp's and other thoughts.

Hi,

Since I only use Linux, this is basically the only place I get
help/advice so here I go.

As some may know, I have been waiting on DSL for years here. Always
being promised that it is coming but found out today, through a informal
FCC complaint, that it is not coming any time soon. They lied though
their teeth in my opinion. What else can be said about AT&T. Yea, we
got the DSL box up the street but no DSL. Not real sure how that
works. Well, here is the deal in a nutshell. I am switching from AT&T
to save some cash and because they got me pissed off. I am currently
using AT&T for email and everything which means I will have to change my
email address during the switch to a new ISP and this is getting
boring. Keep in mind through this that I am disabled so keeping it in
budget is important. My plan is something like this:

Get a Yahoo email account and pay for POP access, about $20.00 a year I
think. I think this will make it so that I never have to change email
addresses when I switch ISPs and will get the same service regardless of
who I connect to the internet with in the future. This is a long term
fix to my email switching issue.

I have checked on basicisp.com and a couple others and ran into a couple
"issues". 1: They have a 4 hour connect limit which is not good but
possible. 2: They limit you to 200 hours a month. This sucks. They
claim "unlimited access" then limit you in the fine print. Does anyone
know of a reasonably priced dial-up ISP that does not have a monthly
limit?

After getting things switched over, I hope this will make things easier
in the future if I need to switch ISPs or something. My questions are:
1: Does anyone know of a reasonably priced dial-up ISP that does not
have a monthly limit? Does anyone see anything wrong/weird with my
plan? Maybe something I need to add in?

Thanks for the help/advice.

Dale

:-) :-)

P.S. I can't afford the satellite thing. I wish I could tho. No cable
here either. Hmmm, may go talk to the cable company about putting cable
out here and we can get internet, TV and Vonage then. That would be cool.

Old 09-12-2008, 06:42 AM
Alan McKinnon

On Friday 12 September 2008 02:51:21 Dale wrote:
> Get a Yahoo email account and pay for POP access, about $20.00 a year I
> think. *I think this will make it so that I never have to change email
> addresses when I switch ISPs and will get the same service regardless of
> who I connect to the internet with in the future. *This is a long term
> fix to my email switching issue.

Use Gmail rather. It's cheaper - can't get cheaper than free - and just works
better. Plus their anti-spam measures are very very good. I get about 1000
spams a month and average about 2 or 3 false positives and false negatives a
month.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 09-12-2008, 07:39 AM
Dale

Alan McKinnon wrote:

Get a Yahoo email account and pay for POP access, about $20.00 a year I
think. I think this will make it so that I never have to change email
addresses when I switch ISPs and will get the same service regardless of
who I connect to the internet with in the future. This is a long term
fix to my email switching issue.

Use Gmail rather. It's cheaper - can't get cheaper than free - and just works
better. Plus their anti-spam measures are very very good. I get about 1000
spams a month and average about 2 or 3 false positives and false negatives a
month.

So Gmail has free POP access? I like to keep my email locally like I do
with AT&T. So far I have saved almost 27,000 emails from this list
alone. I'm a pack rat. LOL

I also found a interesting ISP. http://localnet.com/ I sent a email
to check on any time limits they may have. No reply yet but it was a
bit late when I sent it.

Dang I wish I had broadband out here. < sighs >

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 09-12-2008, 07:54 AM
Alan McKinnon

On Friday 12 September 2008 09:39:25 Dale wrote:
> So Gmail has free POP access? *I like to keep my email locally like I do
> with AT&T. *So far I have saved almost 27,000 emails from this list
> alone. *I'm a pack rat. *LOL

gmail has pop - you can leave the mails on the srever, remove them.
imap - leave them there, shift them off to the local machine.

it's all good it all works. I use the method you do - pop it off google's
servers and read it locally. Except I'm ruthless with deleting mail - stuff
gets nuked after 14 days and after that I use google to find a thread on an
archive somewhere

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 09-12-2008, 08:04 AM
Dale

Alan McKinnon wrote:

So Gmail has free POP access? I like to keep my email locally like I do
with AT&T. So far I have saved almost 27,000 emails from this list
alone. I'm a pack rat. LOL

gmail has pop - you can leave the mails on the srever, remove them.
imap - leave them there, shift them off to the local machine.

it's all good it all works. I use the method you do - pop it off google's
servers and read it locally. Except I'm ruthless with deleting mail - stuff
gets nuked after 14 days and after that I use google to find a thread on an
archive somewhere

I just set it up. I haven't been on gmail in a long while. I'm glad my
password manager remembered the password. Anyway, after checking on the
website and finding the instructions and settings, it was a breeze. I'm
soooo glad I asked for advise here. I had no clue GMail had this for
free. What's up with Yahoo? Last I saw they charge for this.

Now to go test sending emails. I have never done that with anything but
my ISP before. If I disappear for a few days, I screwed it up bad.
LOL For future reference, my gmail is rdalek1967@gmail.com just in case
you see a nut posting with that email address.

Thanks again.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 09-12-2008, 10:55 AM
Robert Bridge

On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 08:42:09 +0200
Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Friday 12 September 2008 02:51:21 Dale wrote:
> > Get a Yahoo email account and pay for POP access, about $20.00 a
> > year I think. *I think this will make it so that I never have to
> > change email addresses when I switch ISPs and will get the same
> > service regardless of who I connect to the internet with in the
> > future. *This is a long term fix to my email switching issue.
>
> Use Gmail rather. It's cheaper - can't get cheaper than free - and
> just works better. Plus their anti-spam measures are very very good.
> I get about 1000 spams a month and average about 2 or 3 false
> positives and false negatives a month.

I second the Gmail suggestion, though Yahoo does provide free POP
access as it happens (I have it).

My logic for seconding the suggestion is I have recently experienced
e-mails from my server going missing after entering the Yahoo system.
They are the ONLY email provider where this has happened to me.

Just my 2 cents,
Rob.

Old 09-12-2008, 11:12 AM
Dale

Robert Bridge wrote:

[...]

Oh this is so cool. I'm switching EVERYTHING over to gmail. If Google
blows up, I'm soooo screwed. LOL

If I can get me a good ISP now, I'm going to be as happy as I can be and
still not have broadband.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 09-12-2008, 11:21 AM
Patric

On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 19:51:21 -0500
Dale <dalek1967@bellsouth.net> wrote:

Hi Dale,

> After getting things switched over, I hope this will make things
> easier in the future if I need to switch ISPs or something. My
> questions are: 1: Does anyone know of a reasonably priced dial-up ISP
> that does not have a monthly limit? Does anyone see anything
> wrong/weird with my plan? Maybe something I need to add in?

I tried both AOL and GMail and both annoy me to some extend. They both
provide free IMAP access, and work "fairly well". I always felt the AOL
servers to be pretty slow (when using imap), and i hate the way
googlemail saves your E-Mail thrice in it's own, duplicate folder
structure (which doubles or triples the size of your local imap cache).
This might be reasonable for people accessing the service only through
their webinterface, but is annoying when using an external client.

The thing that most irritated me after a while are the free provider's
privacy terms. Google may archive and index *all* your mail (read:
SPAM, everything) for eternity. AIM (as well as google) claims all
content to be submitted via their services as their intellectual
property (this counts for ICQ also, btw, use jabber!). This is
laughable from a juristic point of view, but i find the attempt in
itself reason enough not to use their services. There was this funny
article linked on slashdot last week
(http://valleywag.com/5044902/the-5-most-laughable-terms-of-service-on-the-net).

I don't know about Yahoo! specifically in this respect, but I don't
expect them to be any better.

After some search i stumbled upon the relatively new freemail provider
Lavabit (http://lavabit.com). Their service is very promising, privacy
is most important. Connections to their server exclusively use
authenticated SMTP and they offer pop3 and imap over SSL. There are
free, free with ads, and two paid ($6 or $18 p. year) service models,
each with their own limits. Most important for me was their free IMAP
support. You might want to check out their page wether it suits you.

I am very content with their service, even if you don't get an
unlimited storage space at their servers. Google does this because
they can afford it (wasting our precious resources) and in turn mines
all that data for personalized ads, search, and whatnot.

Regards,
Patric

Old 09-13-2008, 08:28 AM
Christian Franke