Old 09-11-2008, 07:13 PM
pk

Default Portage mirrors difference???

Hello,

I have two machines with gentoo here. Unfortunately I've been too lazy
to setup local portage mirroring (will do it in the not-so-distant
future). But right now I'm sync'ing both machines to Gentoos portage
mirrors. However they are slightly differently configured; one is set to
sync to the european mirrors (rsync.europe.gentoo.org - european
rotation server) and the other one is not set so it sync's to whatever
the default rotation rsync server points to. Otherwise they are
similarly configured (both are used as workstations and powered on only
when I use them).

Right now I have a GLSA warning on the european configured one:
200808-12 [N] Postfix: local...

On the other one there is no GLSA warning, although both wants to
upgrade to postfix 2.5.5 (I only run them as local mta, using unix
socket only and I'm the only user of the machines - no public services
are running). This has been like this for about a week now. Does anyone
know why this difference occurs? I'm just curious...

Best regards

Peter K

Old 09-11-2008, 11:46 PM
Iain Buchanan

pk wrote:

Hello,

[snip]

Right now I have a GLSA warning on the european configured one:
200808-12 [N] Postfix: local...

On the other one there is no GLSA warning, although both wants to
upgrade to postfix 2.5.5

how did you run glsa-check? With 'affected', 'all', or 'new'?

This has been like this for about a week now. Does anyone know why
this difference occurs? I'm just curious...

Have you synced both machines again recently? glsa-check only updates
it's information when you sync portage, so it could be that one rsync
server had the advisory before the other one, and you just synced while
they were different.

HTH,

"I'll carry your books, I'll carry a tune, I'll carry on, carry over,
carry forward, Cary Grant, cash & carry, Carry Me Back To Old Virginia,
I'll even Hara Kari if you show me how, but I will *not* carry a gun."
-- Hawkeye, M*A*S*H

Old 09-12-2008, 05:42 PM
pk

Iain Buchanan wrote:

pk wrote:

Hello,

[snip]

Right now I have a GLSA warning on the european configured one:
200808-12 [N] Postfix: local...

On the other one there is no GLSA warning, although both wants to
upgrade to postfix 2.5.5

how did you run glsa-check? With 'affected', 'all', or 'new'?

"glsa-check -l | grep -i '[n]'"

This has been like this for about a week now. Does anyone know why
this difference occurs? I'm just curious...

Have you synced both machines again recently? glsa-check only updates
it's information when you sync portage, so it could be that one rsync
server had the advisory before the other one, and you just synced while
they were different.

Well, just for the sake of it I tried it again (both machines are
sync'ed right now). The "european" shows the GLSA for Postfix. The other
one doesn't show anything.

When I do "emerge --with-bdeps y -DupN world", Portage wishes to upgrade
both machines to Postfix-2.5.5. Strange...

Thanks for answering!

Best regards

Peter K

Old 09-13-2008, 11:00 AM
Iain Buchanan

pk wrote:

Iain Buchanan wrote:

pk wrote:

Hello,

[snip]

[...]

OK, first lets see that both machines have the same advisory:

glsa-check -l | grep -i postfix

If so, perhaps the "non-affected" machine says [A] or [u]. Could you
have already applied an update? Perhaps the update was in a pre 2.5.5
version of postfix that you applied to one machine only?

Thanks for answering!

np! cya,

There's something different about us -- different from people of Europe,
Africa, Asia ... a deep and abiding belief in the Easter Bunny.
-- G. Gordon Liddy

Old 09-13-2008, 12:59 PM
pk

Iain Buchanan wrote:

OK, first lets see that both machines have the same advisory:

glsa-check -l | grep -i postfix

If so, perhaps the "non-affected" machine says [A] or [u]. Could you
have already applied an update? Perhaps the update was in a pre 2.5.5
version of postfix that you applied to one machine only?

Ah, yes. I've updated the european one to Postfix 2.4.9 but the other
one is still 2.4.7-r1. Strange though that 2.4.9 gives me the warning
and not 2.4.7-r1, but I guess that only the 2.4.9 version has the local
privilege escalation bug.

Ok, thanks for clearing this up!

Best regards

Peter K, missing his thinking cap... ;-)