Old 09-11-2008, 06:45 PM
Alan McKinnon

Default problem with a slow rsync server

On Thursday 11 September 2008 19:33:44 Ross Mansfield wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a rsync server on a older machine and I'm trying to emerge --sync
> another machine to the server. When I do this my emerge --sync times
> out. I'm pretty sure that it's because the rsync server is on an old
> machine (but I could be wrong) and was wondering does anyone knows how
> to increase the timeout time for emerge --sync?

PORTAGE_RSYNC_OPTS in man 5 make.conf

--timeout accepts a number of seconds, or 0 for no timeout

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 09-11-2008, 07:29 PM
Dale

Alan McKinnon wrote:

On Thursday 11 September 2008 19:33:44 Ross Mansfield wrote:

Hi,

I have a rsync server on a older machine and I'm trying to emerge --sync
another machine to the server. When I do this my emerge --sync times
out. I'm pretty sure that it's because the rsync server is on an old
machine (but I could be wrong) and was wondering does anyone knows how
to increase the timeout time for emerge --sync?

PORTAGE_RSYNC_OPTS in man 5 make.conf

--timeout accepts a number of seconds, or 0 for no timeout

Would 0 (zero) be advisable? Just curious if there would be a reason
not to set that to 0 (zero).

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 09-11-2008, 07:40 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Thursday 11 September 2008 21:29:38 Dale wrote:
> Alan McKinnon wrote:
> > On Thursday 11 September 2008 19:33:44 Ross Mansfield wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I have a rsync server on a older machine and I'm trying to emerge --sync
> >> another machine to the server. When I do this my emerge --sync times
> >> out. I'm pretty sure that it's because the rsync server is on an old
> >> machine (but I could be wrong) and was wondering does anyone knows how
> >> to increase the timeout time for emerge --sync?
> >
> > PORTAGE_RSYNC_OPTS in man 5 make.conf
> >
> > --timeout accepts a number of seconds, or 0 for no timeout
>
> Would 0 (zero) be advisable? Just curious if there would be a reason
> not to set that to 0 (zero).

Only reason I can think of is that if the rsync server isn't available the
emerge will eventually die so you don't have to kill it.

180 seconds is 5 minutes - if not one single byte has been sent in five
minutes, I reckon something is badly wrong with that connection

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 09-11-2008, 08:08 PM
BRM

Try checking the DNS resolution on the system.

I had been keeping my primary system up-to-date with a nightly rsync to the gentoo servers; however, the server stopped when a DHCP Client update knocked out my /etc/resolve.conf; I had to fix it by recreating my /etc/resolve.conf as /etc/resolve.conf.head. (I probably did something stupid somewhere with env-update; I don't know how long it went so I can't say if it was my fault, emerge's fault, or env-update's fault.)

Any how, once I got the DNS working again, it worked fine. Otherwise it just reported a timeout.

HTH,

Ben

Old 09-11-2008, 08:25 PM
Ross Mansfield

Hi again,

Thanks for the suggestions. I actually found this in the gentoo wiki
under the man page make.conf(5):

PORTAGE_RSYNC_INITIAL_TIMEOUT = integer
Used by emerge --sync as a timeout for the initial connection to an rsync server.
Defaults to 15 seconds.

I put this in my make.conf file with a 45 and it worked like a charm.

Thanks again!

Ross

Old 09-12-2008, 12:23 AM
Dale

Alan McKinnon wrote:

I have a rsync server on a older machine and I'm trying to emerge --sync
another machine to the server. When I do this my emerge --sync times
out. I'm pretty sure that it's because the rsync server is on an old
machine (but I could be wrong) and was wondering does anyone knows how
to increase the timeout time for emerge --sync?

PORTAGE_RSYNC_OPTS in man 5 make.conf

--timeout accepts a number of seconds, or 0 for no timeout

Would 0 (zero) be advisable? Just curious if there would be a reason
not to set that to 0 (zero).

Only reason I can think of is that if the rsync server isn't available the
emerge will eventually die so you don't have to kill it.

But would it leave that dead connection open and cause issues later?
I'm not a network expert.

180 seconds is 5 minutes - if not one single byte has been sent in five
minutes, I reckon something is badly wrong with that connection

Yea, if after 5 minutes its not doing anything, its not likely it ever will.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 09-12-2008, 06:03 PM
Francesco Talamona

On Thursday 11 September 2008, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> 180 seconds is 5 minutes

???

60*3 = 180

5 minutes are 300 seconds

:-)

Ciao
Francesco

--
Linux Version 2.6.26-gentoo-r1, Compiled #2 PREEMPT Fri Aug 15 09:40:53
CEST 2008

Old 09-12-2008, 07:55 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Friday 12 September 2008 20:03:38 Francesco Talamona wrote:
> On Thursday 11 September 2008, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> > 180 seconds is 5 minutes
>
> ???
>
> 60*3 = 180
>
> 5 minutes are 300 seconds