Old 09-10-2008, 09:49 PM
Mick

Default APIPA address

I keep getting this Class B subnet 169.254.0.0 in my routing table on my
laptop and I'm not sure why this is happening (for some months now).

# route -n
Kernel IP routing table
10.10.10.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 eth0
169.254.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.0.0 U 0 0 0 eth0
127.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.0.0.0 U 0 0 0 lo
0.0.0.0 10.10.10.1 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 eth0

Does it matter? I just don't want to have things configured without
understanding why they are so, especially when this is not a MSWindows
machine to use by design an APIPA scheme. Should I do anything about it?
Mick

Old 09-10-2008, 10:30 PM
Norberto Bensa

Quoting Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com>:

I keep getting this Class B subnet 169.254.0.0 in my routing table on my
laptop and I'm not sure why this is happening (for some months now).

perhaps you have zeroconf in USE (?)

Old 09-11-2008, 06:48 AM
Alan McKinnon

On Thursday 11 September 2008 00:30:29 Norberto Bensa wrote:
> Quoting Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com>:
> > I keep getting this Class B subnet 169.254.0.0 in my routing table on my
> > laptop and I'm not sure why this is happening (for some months now).
>
> perhaps you have zeroconf in USE (?)

There's a few more things to check, if APIPA annoys:

Presence of avahi, zerconf and/or mdnsresponder USE flags.

Avahi or mDNSResponder installed and running.

APIPA addresses are mostly harmless, it's just another IP address assigned to
an interface after the software is certain no other machine on the network is
using it. Some automagic configurations are cause for concern, but this is
not one of them.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 09-11-2008, 06:17 PM
Mick

On Thursday 11 September 2008, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> On Thursday 11 September 2008 00:30:29 Norberto Bensa wrote:
> > Quoting Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com>:
> > > I keep getting this Class B subnet 169.254.0.0 in my routing table on
> > > my laptop and I'm not sure why this is happening (for some months now).
> >
> > perhaps you have zeroconf in USE (?)
>
> There's a few more things to check, if APIPA annoys:
>
> Presence of avahi, zerconf and/or mdnsresponder USE flags.
>
> Avahi or mDNSResponder installed and running.
>
> APIPA addresses are mostly harmless, it's just another IP address assigned
> to an interface after the software is certain no other machine on the
> network is using it. Some automagic configurations are cause for concern,
> but this is not one of them.

Hmm, yep, I should have checked!

# emerge -pDv dhcpcd

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild R ] net-misc/dhcpcd-3.2.3 USE="vram zeroconf" 0 kB

From the manual:

"Even when dhcpcd obtains a proper lease, it will still add a Local Link route
(165.254.0.0/16) so that the host can communicate with clients using these
addresses."

I am not sure however, if dhcpcd will continue to probe every 10 seconds to
get an address without Zeroconf set?

I do not have avahi on this box, but do seem to have mDNSResponder for some
reason. It is not running though.
Mick