Old 09-10-2008, 02:41 PM

Default opensource arcade game alike ?

Hello. Is there an opensource arcade game that plays very similar to
old-school CPS1/CPS2 games, like "Captain Commando", "Cadillacs and
Dinosaurs", "Warriors of Fate", ""Final Fight" and ""Streets of Rage"?

This category of arcade game different from typical arcade "Super Mario"
that it features sideway movement (instead of only forward/backward),
combo attack (press "punch" continuously), special move (usually down +
up + punch) and a health slot (picking up food would add health back).

I played many opensource arcade games, but most are more "Super Mario"
like rather than CPS games. I haven't tried all games in
portage/games-arcade, but if someone already know some in that style...

Old 09-10-2008, 03:14 PM
Etaoin Shrdlu

On Wednesday 10 September 2008, 16:41, zhangweiwu@realss.com wrote:

> Hello. Is there an opensource arcade game that plays very similar to
> old-school CPS1/CPS2 games, like "Captain Commando", "Cadillacs and
> Dinosaurs", "Warriors of Fate", ""Final Fight" and ""Streets of Rage"?
>
> This category of arcade game different from typical arcade "Super
> Mario" that it features sideway movement (instead of only
> forward/backward), combo attack (press "punch" continuously), special
> move (usually down + up + punch) and a health slot (picking up food
> would add health back).
>
> I played many opensource arcade games, but most are more "Super Mario"
> like rather than CPS games. I haven't tried all games in
> portage/games-arcade, but if someone already know some in that
> style...

Maybe not what you're looking for, but don't those games run under MAME?

Old 09-10-2008, 03:36 PM
"Paul Hartman"

On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 9:41 AM, <zhangweiwu@realss.com> wrote:
> Hello. Is there an opensource arcade game that plays very similar to
> old-school CPS1/CPS2 games, like "Captain Commando", "Cadillacs and
> Dinosaurs", "Warriors of Fate", ""Final Fight" and ""Streets of Rage"?
>
> This category of arcade game different from typical arcade "Super Mario"
> that it features sideway movement (instead of only forward/backward),
> combo attack (press "punch" continuously), special move (usually down +
> up + punch) and a health slot (picking up food would add health back).
>
> I played many opensource arcade games, but most are more "Super Mario"
> like rather than CPS games. I haven't tried all games in
> portage/games-arcade, but if someone already know some in that style...

The style of game you're looking for is the "Beat 'Em Up" genre
(Double Dragon maybe was the first). CPS1/2 games are not limited to
this genre (Street Fighter 2 is an example), and not all of the games
you listed were CPS1/2 games (i think Streets of Rage was a home
console game only).

I think you may be interested in Beats of Rage:

http://www.senileteam.com/borinfo.php

Regards,
Paul

Old 09-10-2008, 03:51 PM

zhangweiwu@realss.com wrote:
> Hello. Is there an opensource arcade game that plays very similar to
> old-school CPS1/CPS2 games, like "Captain Commando", "Cadillacs and
> Dinosaurs", "Warriors of Fate", ""Final Fight" and ""Streets of Rage"?

After I learned this category of game is usually referred as "Beat 'em
up", I quickly become able to use google to answer my own question.
"Beats of Rage" runs on Linux, is opensource (but license was not
mentioned on their website, the corresponding project on sf.net suggest
it's BSD license). "Streets of Rage Remake" is another one in theory can
be built on Linux but nobody seems released source code of it or Linux
binary.

Old 09-11-2008, 04:58 AM

Etaoin Shrdlu wrote:

> Maybe not what you're looking for, but don't those games run under MAME?

Yes, but I want to read its source to see how it get made up And the
mame games are without source code.