Old 12-09-2007, 02:09 PM
Cahn Roger

Default Printer

Hi,

I think to buy the following printer:

EPSON Stylus Color D120 Ethernet or Wifi

Has anybody an (good) experience with it?
Thank you for your answers
Roger

Old 12-30-2007, 05:14 PM
Anton Tikhomirov

I need to install a printer that is on another computer. The other computer is running windows. In my old windows xp i would simply go to windows explorer, type the computers name in, then type the username and the password in and I could see that the shared printer was there. With linux I do not see this shared printer. How do I connect.???

Old 12-30-2007, 05:35 PM
Donn

> do not see this shared printer. How do I connect.???
I have no practical experience, but I think the answer is "CUPS". You can at
least start a search from that. Another option is SAMBA, but that's no party.

Old 12-30-2007, 05:49 PM
"Michael Bach (gmx)"

Anton Tikhomirov wrote:
> I need to install a printer that is on another computer. The other computer is running windows. In my old windows xp i would simply go to windows explorer, type the computers name in, then type the username and the password in and I could see that the shared printer was there. With linux I do not see this shared printer. How do I connect.???
> Share life as it happens with the new Windows Live.
> http://www.windowslive.com/share.html?ocid=TXT_TAGHM_Wave2_sharelife_122007

Hello Anton,
from the KDE-start-menu, go to "Settings"->"Peripherals"->"Printers".
In the window that appears you see all the printers already installed on
your system.
In the bottom of that window you will see a few buttons, one of them
switches to administrator mode, click this button and in the window that
appears type your password.
A red framed area in the window becomes apparent. In the top left corner
you find a button to add a printer (magic wand icon on the button).
Click this, and the wizard that shows up, the second step, asks what
kind of printer you would like to add. Choose the "SMB shared printer
(Windows)".
In the following steps you provide the data necessary to contact the
printer, similar to windows.

regards, Mike.

Old 12-30-2007, 07:03 PM
Gene Heskett

On Sunday 30 December 2007, Anton Tikhomirov wrote:
>I need to install a printer that is on another computer. The other computer
> is running windows. In my old windows xp i would simply go to windows
> explorer, type the computers name in, then type the username and the
> password in and I could see that the shared printer was there. With linux I
> do not see this shared printer. How do I connect.???

Ideally, you should send FF to localhost:631, which is the cups web page, and
do an add of a new printer which should be located at
ipp://address_of_winderz-box:631

I believe that xp supports the IPP protocol, so from there you should be able
to see the printer, and add it to your local resource list in that manner.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Old 12-30-2007, 09:29 PM
Arthur Dyck

Quoting Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@verizon.net>:

> On Sunday 30 December 2007, Anton Tikhomirov wrote:
>> I need to install a printer that is on another computer. The other computer
>> is running windows. In my old windows xp i would simply go to windows
>> explorer, type the computers name in, then type the username and the
>> password in and I could see that the shared printer was there. With linux I
>> do not see this shared printer. How do I connect.???
>
> Ideally, you should send FF to localhost:631, which is the cups web page, and
> do an add of a new printer which should be located at
> ipp://address_of_winderz-box:631
>
> I believe that xp supports the IPP protocol, so from there you should be able
> to see the printer, and add it to your local resource list in that manner.
>
> --
> Cheers, Gene

The way I have done it in the past is by going to System Settings and
the selecting Printers. You then have the option of adding a printer
and there is a wizard that takes you through the process. You need to
select the SMB shared printer (Windows) and then complete all of the
information requested by the wizard, ie. workgroup, address, etc.
Unfortunately,this has not always worked for me, depending on the
printer, its compatibility with Linux, drivers, etc. Good luck.

Arthur

Old 12-31-2007, 01:12 AM
Gene Heskett

On Sunday 30 December 2007, Arthur Dyck wrote:
>Quoting Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@verizon.net>:
>> On Sunday 30 December 2007, Anton Tikhomirov wrote:
>>> I need to install a printer that is on another computer. The other
>>> computer is running windows. In my old windows xp i would simply go to
>>> windows explorer, type the computers name in, then type the username and
>>> the password in and I could see that the shared printer was there. With
>>> linux I do not see this shared printer. How do I connect.???
>>
>> Ideally, you should send FF to localhost:631, which is the cups web page,
>> and do an add of a new printer which should be located at
>> ipp://address_of_winderz-box:631
>>
>> I believe that xp supports the IPP protocol, so from there you should be
>> able to see the printer, and add it to your local resource list in that
>> manner.
>>
>> --
>> Cheers, Gene
>
>The way I have done it in the past is by going to System Settings and
>the selecting Printers. You then have the option of adding a printer
>and there is a wizard that takes you through the process. You need to
>select the SMB shared printer (Windows) and then complete all of the
>information requested by the wizard, ie. workgroup, address, etc.
>Unfortunately,this has not always worked for me, depending on the
>printer, its compatibility with Linux, drivers, etc. Good luck.
>
>Arthur

My method bypasses the CIFS/Samba problems. However, if the particular
windows install doesn't do the IPP protocol, samba is probably the best bet,
but bring spare change, you'll need it for beer by the time it works right in
my rather limited experience.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Old 04-25-2008, 02:11 AM
"Craig A. Updegrove"

Why doesn’t my printer work it makes the sounds like
it is going to print but doesn’t . it is connected though a lan to a
router to a hp 5610

Old 04-28-2008, 02:18 AM
Harold Hartley

Craig A. Updegrove wrote:

> Why doesn’t my printer work it makes the sounds like it is going to
> print but doesn’t . it is connected though a lan to a router to a hp 5610

You may have to run the HPLIP Toolbox and the instructions.
If you don't have it on your computer, then you need to install the
hplip-gui.
Once installed, you will find it under System > Preferences ...

Harold

Old 03-18-2009, 12:48 PM
Raj Har

hello...

i have a window 98, printer installed on 98 system.i have
redhat 5 linux client.i waan share my printer for linux clients.

can i do this?