Old 04-29-2012, 10:16 PM
Dale

Default printer

Stephane Guedon wrote:
> Hi everyone
>
> I am now forced to replace my epson printer.
>
> Anyone think of a printer for which ink is quite cheap (contrary to the epson)
> and that allow to have status not only in windows ?
>
> Epson as an utility to have ink status in windows and linux, but I have my
> printer on a server and was in hope some could have ink status iin cups ...
>
> So, anyone that have a suggestion is welcome !

For my personal experience, I have yet to have a HP printer not work.
You can get the ink levels and such too. It has a GUI thingy for that
but I think it has a command line tool as well, in case it is hooked to
a server or something with no GUI.

The way I buy a printer, I find the cartridges first. Then I find a
printer that uses the cartridge. My current printer uses the 74XL and
75XL cartridge. Those are the high capacity ones. They print about 3
times the pages. I buy the generic ones and they are both cheaper and I
think they have more ink. They certainly last longer than the HP ones.
I did buy one set of HP XL ones since they were on sale locally.

If you can afford a laser printer up front, that is cheaper in the long
run, as others have already posted. Just keep the printer in a
relatively dry location. Read that as low humidity. If you have
humidity problems, turn it on and let it warm up a few times a week. I
did that at my friends business when the printers were in the basement.
Real humid in there. If left long enough, the print gets pretty bad.

Hope that helps. Lots of option.

Dale

:-) :-)

how you interpreted my words!

Miss the compile output? Hint:
EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"

Old 04-30-2012, 01:32 AM
Nilesh Govindrajan

On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 1:25 AM, Stephane Guedon <stephane@22decembre.eu> wrote:
> Hi everyone
>
> I am now forced to replace my epson printer.
>
> Anyone think of a printer for which ink is quite cheap (contrary to the epson)
> and that allow to have status not only in windows ?
>
> Epson as an utility to have ink status in windows and linux, but I have my
> printer on a server and was in hope some could have ink status iin cups ...
>
> So, anyone that have a suggestion is welcome !
> --
> Stéphane Guedon *| *www.22decembre.eu
>
> Protegez vos courriers sur internet aussi, utilisez gpg !
> http://www.22decembre.eu/2012/02/27/proteger-vos-courriels-avec-gpg/

Get an HP Inkjet printer and buy a cartridge refill kit from eBay for
about $10. Also, ink for about the same price. It's so damn cheap,
cheaper than laser. Go for laser if you want high speed printing.

Refilling voids warranty, but nothing happens to the printer. I've
been using refilled cartridges on my HP PSC 1410 for seven years now.

--
Nilesh Govindarajan
http://nileshgr.com

Old 04-30-2012, 04:59 AM

On Sun, 29 Apr 2012 21:55:08 +0200
Stephane Guedon <stephane@einstein.22decembre.eu> wrote:

> Hi everyone
>
> I am now forced to replace my epson printer.
>
> Anyone think of a printer for which ink is quite cheap (contrary to
> the epson) and that allow to have status not only in windows ?
>
> Epson as an utility to have ink status in windows and linux, but I
> have my printer on a server and was in hope some could have ink
> status iin cups ...
>
> So, anyone that have a suggestion is welcome !

Is it just me? There is a bad GPG signature (maybe it is due to the
accent character(s)).

Anyway, IMO hplip is much nicer than mtink (there is the command-line
tool hp-level included that displays ink level), and HP ink don't dry
up if you leave the printer idle for 2 weeks, unlike Epson. Of course,
if you print a lot you should consider laser printer.

Kerwin

Old 04-30-2012, 05:17 AM

On Mon, 30 Apr 2012 12:59:10 +0800
kwkhui@hkbn.net wrote:

> there is the command-line tool hp-level included that displays ink
> level

Oops, should be hp-levels, not hp-level.

Kerwin

Old 04-30-2012, 08:04 AM
Stephane Guedon

Le lundi 30 avril 2012 12:59:10 kwkhui@hkbn.net a écrit :
> On Sun, 29 Apr 2012 21:55:08 +0200
>
> Stephane Guedon <stephane@einstein.22decembre.eu> wrote:
> > Hi everyone
> >
> > I am now forced to replace my epson printer.
> >
> > Anyone think of a printer for which ink is quite cheap (contrary to
> > the epson) and that allow to have status not only in windows ?
> >
> > Epson as an utility to have ink status in windows and linux, but I
> > have my printer on a server and was in hope some could have ink
> > status iin cups ...
> >
> > So, anyone that have a suggestion is welcome !
>
> Is it just me? There is a bad GPG signature (maybe it is due to the
> accent character(s)).
>
> Anyway, IMO hplip is much nicer than mtink (there is the command-line
> tool hp-level included that displays ink level), and HP ink don't dry
> up if you leave the printer idle for 2 weeks, unlike Epson. Of course,
> if you print a lot you should consider laser printer.
>
> Kerwin

Anyway, I don't print so much, but I need one !

I don't know why you say I have a bad gpg. I think I put it on the gpg
servers, so It should be ok. Did you try to search for it ?

Thanks

Old 04-30-2012, 10:03 AM

On Mon, 30 Apr 2012 10:04:10 +0200
Stephane Guedon <stephane@einstein.22decembre.eu> wrote:

> Le lundi 30 avril 2012 12:59:10 kwkhui@hkbn.net a écrit :
> > On Sun, 29 Apr 2012 21:55:08 +0200
> >
> > Stephane Guedon <stephane@einstein.22decembre.eu> wrote:
> > > Hi everyone
> > >
> > > I am now forced to replace my epson printer.
> > >
> > > Anyone think of a printer for which ink is quite cheap (contrary
> > > to the epson) and that allow to have status not only in windows ?
> > >
> > > Epson as an utility to have ink status in windows and linux, but I
> > > have my printer on a server and was in hope some could have ink
> > > status iin cups ...
> > >
> > > So, anyone that have a suggestion is welcome !
> >
> > Is it just me? There is a bad GPG signature (maybe it is due to the
> > accent character(s)).
> >
> > Anyway, IMO hplip is much nicer than mtink (there is the
> > command-line tool hp-level included that displays ink level), and
> > HP ink don't dry up if you leave the printer idle for 2 weeks,
> > unlike Epson. Of course, if you print a lot you should consider
> > laser printer.
> >
> > Kerwin
>
> Anyway, I don't print so much, but I need one !
>
> I don't know why you say I have a bad gpg. I think I put it on the
> gpg servers, so It should be ok. Did you try to search for it ?
>
> Thanks

I got the key 0x0403A28B2D8DE8FB from zimmerman.mayfirst.org (one of
the keys.gnupg.net keyserver) but signature verification fails for
both messages.

Kerwin.

Old 05-28-2012, 07:23 PM
Richard Vickery

Hi Gang:
I no longer have the kernel panic at shut-down, and it's great! Thanks! However, Now the xqx driver for my HP P1005 won't go in correctly and so the printer doesn't work right now. In all likelihood, it is something I have done wrong; is it, or is it a programming in Fedora?

Old 05-29-2012, 09:25 AM
Jiri Popelka

I can't help with xqx driver, but you can try hpcups driver from hplip.
You also need to install the HP proprietary plugin with 'hp-plugin'.

--
Jiri

Old 05-29-2012, 09:32 AM
"Richard W.M. Jones"

On Mon, May 28, 2012 at 12:23:33PM -0700, Richard Vickery wrote:
> Hi Gang:
>
> I no longer have the kernel panic at shut-down, and it's great! Thanks!
> However, Now the xqx driver for my HP P1005 won't go in correctly and so
> the printer doesn't work right now. In all likelihood, it is something I
> have done wrong; is it, or is it a programming in Fedora?

Please ask users questrions on the users list:

Rich.