FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 09-08-2008, 11:49 PM
kashani
 
Default Exim, Outlook 2007, and Thunderbird

Michael Sullivan wrote:

dovecot doesn't seem to have a log. How do I turn on logging for
dovecot?


I'd suspect it's either logging to /var/log/mail* or /var/log/messages
Have you checked both?


I forgot:

camille log # netstat -ptln
Active Internet connections (only servers)
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address Foreign Address
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:143 0.0.0.0:*
LISTEN 4311/dovecot


And are you connecting via IMAP in your clients, the server addresses
are correct, you can telnet to your mail server on port 143, etc?

kashani
 
Old 09-09-2008, 12:33 AM
Michael Sullivan
 
Default Exim, Outlook 2007, and Thunderbird

On Mon, 2008-09-08 at 16:49 -0700, kashani wrote:
> Michael Sullivan wrote:
> >> dovecot doesn't seem to have a log. How do I turn on logging for
> >> dovecot?
>
> I'd suspect it's either logging to /var/log/mail* or /var/log/messages
> Have you checked both?
>
> > I forgot:
> >
> > camille log # netstat -ptln
> > Active Internet connections (only servers)
> > Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address Foreign Address
> > tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:143 0.0.0.0:*
> > LISTEN 4311/dovecot
>
> And are you connecting via IMAP in your clients, the server addresses
> are correct, you can telnet to your mail server on port 143, etc?
>
> kashani
>
>

I checked both /var/log/mail.log and /var/log/messages, yes

And I am connecting via IMAP.

My public IP address is 70.234.122.254

michael@camille ~ $ telnet 127.0.0.1 143
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to 127.0.0.1.
Escape character is '^]'.
* OK Dovecot ready.
^]

telnet> quit
Connection closed.
michael@camille ~ $ telnet 70.254.122.254 143
Trying 70.254.122.254...
telnet: connect to address 70.254.122.254: Connection refused
 
Old 09-09-2008, 12:47 AM
Dale
 
Default Exim, Outlook 2007, and Thunderbird

Michael Sullivan wrote:

On Mon, 2008-09-08 at 16:49 -0700, kashani wrote:


Michael Sullivan wrote:


dovecot doesn't seem to have a log. How do I turn on logging for
dovecot?


I'd suspect it's either logging to /var/log/mail* or /var/log/messages
Have you checked both?



I forgot:

camille log # netstat -ptln
Active Internet connections (only servers)
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address Foreign Address
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:143 0.0.0.0:*
LISTEN 4311/dovecot


And are you connecting via IMAP in your clients, the server addresses
are correct, you can telnet to your mail server on port 143, etc?

kashani





I checked both /var/log/mail.log and /var/log/messages, yes

And I am connecting via IMAP.


My public IP address is 70.234.122.254

michael@camille ~ $ telnet 127.0.0.1 143
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to 127.0.0.1.
Escape character is '^]'.
* OK Dovecot ready.
^]

telnet> quit
Connection closed.
michael@camille ~ $ telnet 70.254.122.254 143
Trying 70.254.122.254...
telnet: connect to address 70.254.122.254: Connection refused







This may be a typo but you posted your public IP address is
70.234.122.254 then tried to connect to 70.254.122.254. One is 234 and
the other is 254.


If not a typo, I thought only I could do something like that. LOL
Carry on.


Dale

:-) :-)
 
Old 09-09-2008, 01:24 AM
kashani
 
Default Exim, Outlook 2007, and Thunderbird

Michael Sullivan wrote:

My public IP address is 70.234.122.254

michael@camille ~ $ telnet 127.0.0.1 143
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to 127.0.0.1.
Escape character is '^]'.
* OK Dovecot ready.
^]

telnet> quit
Connection closed.
michael@camille ~ $ telnet 70.254.122.254 143
Trying 70.254.122.254...
telnet: connect to address 70.254.122.254: Connection refused


Are you port forwarding port 143 through your NAT if you're using NAT?
Are you allowing imap in your firewall rules?


I'd also try the suggesting of changing to listen = * suggested here.
http://gentoo-wiki.com/Dovecot#Configure

kashani
 
Old 09-09-2008, 01:33 AM
Michael Sullivan
 
Default Exim, Outlook 2007, and Thunderbird

On Mon, 2008-09-08 at 19:47 -0500, Dale wrote:
> Michael Sullivan wrote:
> > On Mon, 2008-09-08 at 16:49 -0700, kashani wrote:
> >
> >> Michael Sullivan wrote:
> >>
> >>>> dovecot doesn't seem to have a log. How do I turn on logging for
> >>>> dovecot?
> >>>>
> >> I'd suspect it's either logging to /var/log/mail* or /var/log/messages
> >> Have you checked both?
> >>
> >>
> >>> I forgot:
> >>>
> >>> camille log # netstat -ptln
> >>> Active Internet connections (only servers)
> >>> Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address Foreign Address
> >>> tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:143 0.0.0.0:*
> >>> LISTEN 4311/dovecot
> >>>
> >> And are you connecting via IMAP in your clients, the server addresses
> >> are correct, you can telnet to your mail server on port 143, etc?
> >>
> >> kashani
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >
> > I checked both /var/log/mail.log and /var/log/messages, yes
> >
> > And I am connecting via IMAP.
> >
> > My public IP address is 70.234.122.254
> >
> > michael@camille ~ $ telnet 127.0.0.1 143
> > Trying 127.0.0.1...
> > Connected to 127.0.0.1.
> > Escape character is '^]'.
> > * OK Dovecot ready.
> > ^]
> >
> > telnet> quit
> > Connection closed.
> > michael@camille ~ $ telnet 70.254.122.254 143
> > Trying 70.254.122.254...
> > telnet: connect to address 70.254.122.254: Connection refused
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
>
> This may be a typo but you posted your public IP address is
> 70.234.122.254 then tried to connect to 70.254.122.254. One is 234 and
> the other is 254.
>
> If not a typo, I thought only I could do something like that. LOL
> Carry on.
>
> Dale
>
> :-) :-)
>

You were right, when I try the correct IP address, it tries and tries
and tries...:

michael@camille ~ $ telnet 70.234.122.254 143
Trying 70.234.122.254...
 
Old 09-09-2008, 01:35 AM
Michael Sullivan
 
Default Exim, Outlook 2007, and Thunderbird

On Mon, 2008-09-08 at 18:24 -0700, kashani wrote:
> Michael Sullivan wrote:
> > My public IP address is 70.234.122.254
> >
> > michael@camille ~ $ telnet 127.0.0.1 143
> > Trying 127.0.0.1...
> > Connected to 127.0.0.1.
> > Escape character is '^]'.
> > * OK Dovecot ready.
> > ^]
> >
> > telnet> quit
> > Connection closed.
> > michael@camille ~ $ telnet 70.254.122.254 143
> > Trying 70.254.122.254...
> > telnet: connect to address 70.254.122.254: Connection refused
>
> Are you port forwarding port 143 through your NAT if you're using NAT?
> Are you allowing imap in your firewall rules?
>
> I'd also try the suggesting of changing to listen = * suggested here.
> http://gentoo-wiki.com/Dovecot#Configure
>
> kashani
>

>From nmap:

camille dovecot # nmap -T Aggressive -A -v 70.234.122.254

Starting Nmap 4.68 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2008-09-08 20:33 CDT
Initiating Ping Scan at 20:33
Scanning 70.234.122.254 [2 ports]
Completed Ping Scan at 20:33, 0.03s elapsed (1 total hosts)
Initiating Parallel DNS resolution of 1 host. at 20:33
Completed Parallel DNS resolution of 1 host. at 20:33, 0.25s elapsed
Initiating SYN Stealth Scan at 20:33
Scanning adsl-70-234-122-254.dsl.tul2ok.sbcglobal.net (70.234.122.254)
[1715 ports]
Discovered open port 22/tcp on 70.234.122.254
Discovered open port 25/tcp on 70.234.122.254
Discovered open port 80/tcp on 70.234.122.254
Completed SYN Stealth Scan at 20:33, 3.02s elapsed (1715 total ports)
Initiating Service scan at 20:33
Scanning 3 services on adsl-70-234-122-254.dsl.tul2ok.sbcglobal.net
(70.234.122.254)
Completed Service scan at 20:33, 6.17s elapsed (3 services on 1 host)
Initiating OS detection (try #1) against
adsl-70-234-122-254.dsl.tul2ok.sbcglobal.net (70.234.122.254)
Retrying OS detection (try #2) against
adsl-70-234-122-254.dsl.tul2ok.sbcglobal.net (70.234.122.254)
Initiating Traceroute at 20:33
70.234.122.254: guessing hop distance at 1
Completed Traceroute at 20:33, 0.01s elapsed
Host adsl-70-234-122-254.dsl.tul2ok.sbcglobal.net (70.234.122.254)
appears to be up ... good.
Interesting ports on adsl-70-234-122-254.dsl.tul2ok.sbcglobal.net
(70.234.122.254):
Not shown: 1708 closed ports
PORT STATE SERVICE VERSION
20/tcp filtered ftp-data
21/tcp filtered ftp
22/tcp open ssh OpenSSH 4.7 (protocol 2.0)
25/tcp open smtp Exim smtpd 4.69
80/tcp open http Apache httpd
143/tcp filtered imap
443/tcp filtered https
No OS matches for host
TCP Sequence Prediction: Difficulty=199 (Good luck!)
IP ID Sequence Generation: All zeros
Service Info: Host: camille.espersunited.com

TRACEROUTE (using port 22/tcp)
HOP RTT ADDRESS
1 2.47 adsl-70-234-122-254.dsl.tul2ok.sbcglobal.net (70.234.122.254)

Read data files from: /usr/share/nmap
OS and Service detection performed. Please report any incorrect results
at http://nmap.org/submit/ .
Nmap done: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 14.126 seconds
Raw packets sent: 1794 (82.336KB) | Rcvd: 1767 (81.820KB)

Also, my dovecot.conf has changed somewhat over the course of the
evening. Here's the current version:

camille dovecot # cat dovecot.conf | sed /#/d





protocols = imap imaps

listen = [::]
disable_plaintext_auth = no









ssl_disable = yes





















mail_location = maildir:~/.maildir















































protocol imap {

listen = *






}


protocol pop3 {









}


protocol lda {
postmaster_address = postmaster@espersunited.com




}

















auth default {
mechanisms = plain




passdb pam {
args = "*"
}










userdb passwd {
}







user = root





}




dict {
}


plugin {




}
 
Old 09-09-2008, 01:45 AM
kashani
 
Default Exim, Outlook 2007, and Thunderbird

Michael Sullivan wrote:
Are you port forwarding port 143 through your NAT if you're using NAT?
Are you allowing imap in your firewall rules?


I'd also try the suggesting of changing to listen = * suggested here.
http://gentoo-wiki.com/Dovecot#Configure

kashani




From nmap:

143/tcp filtered imap
443/tcp filtered https



So yes you have a firewall and you have not checked the rules? That's
generally what filtered means.


kashani
 
Old 09-09-2008, 01:54 AM
Dale
 
Default Exim, Outlook 2007, and Thunderbird

Michael Sullivan wrote:

On Mon, 2008-09-08 at 19:47 -0500, Dale wrote:


Michael Sullivan wrote:


On Mon, 2008-09-08 at 16:49 -0700, kashani wrote:



Michael Sullivan wrote:



dovecot doesn't seem to have a log. How do I turn on logging for
dovecot?



I'd suspect it's either logging to /var/log/mail* or /var/log/messages
Have you checked both?




I forgot:

camille log # netstat -ptln
Active Internet connections (only servers)
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address Foreign Address
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:143 0.0.0.0:*
LISTEN 4311/dovecot



And are you connecting via IMAP in your clients, the server addresses
are correct, you can telnet to your mail server on port 143, etc?

kashani





I checked both /var/log/mail.log and /var/log/messages, yes

And I am connecting via IMAP.


My public IP address is 70.234.122.254

michael@camille ~ $ telnet 127.0.0.1 143
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to 127.0.0.1.
Escape character is '^]'.
* OK Dovecot ready.
^]

telnet> quit
Connection closed.
michael@camille ~ $ telnet 70.254.122.254 143
Trying 70.254.122.254...
telnet: connect to address 70.254.122.254: Connection refused






This may be a typo but you posted your public IP address is
70.234.122.254 then tried to connect to 70.254.122.254. One is 234 and
the other is 254.


If not a typo, I thought only I could do something like that. LOL
Carry on.


Dale

:-) :-)




You were right, when I try the correct IP address, it tries and tries
and tries...:

michael@camille ~ $ telnet 70.234.122.254 143
Trying 70.234.122.254...





Well, I was hoping that using the correct address would get a woooo
hooooo but I guess not. Would be nice if it was that simple tho.


Dale

:-) :-)
 
Old 09-09-2008, 09:14 AM
Neil Bothwick
 
Default Exim, Outlook 2007, and Thunderbird

On Mon, 08 Sep 2008 17:51:47 -0500, Michael Sullivan wrote:

> dovecot doesn't seem to have a log. How do I turn on logging for
> dovecot?

It's explained in the config comments, but turned off by default

# Log file to use for error messages, instead of sending them to syslog.
# /dev/stderr can be used to log into stderr.
log_path = /var/log/dovecot


--
Neil Bothwick

Assassins do it from behind.
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 06:09 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org