Old 09-07-2008, 02:45 AM

Default ftp server software which supports a control connection?

Hello. I am looking for an FTP server software that let me monitor the
ftp activities on my notebook. Both server and the notebook runs Gentoo
Linux except the server doesn't have any X11 related stuff. The reason I
want to do this is because I offer my users file to download and I often
need to monitor what they are doing to make sure they gets connected.
This is especially useful when doing support on the phone, I can call my
user and instruct him to download file, at the meantime see he logged in
and doing the right thing.

I used pure-ftpd and pureadmin (a GUI for monitoring pure-ftpd).
Pureadmin has every feature I need (see who is logged in, see
activities) but it has to be run AFAIK on the same computer that runs
ftp server.

I used filezilla server which let me control it through a control
connection and see activities, but the server software doesn't have a
Linux version.

I used pro-ftpd and didn't see the option for it's GUI manager to
connect to a remote server.

What software in Linux world can do this?

As I am monitoring ftp through a wireless LAN which max at 300KB/s,
running X11-forwarding is not comfortable. running a desktop session on
the server and run vnc seems overkill.

Thanks for hints in advance!

Best regards

Old 09-07-2008, 03:35 AM

zhangweiwu@realss.com wrote:
> Hello. I am looking for an FTP server software that let me monitor the
> ftp activities of the FTP server on my notebook (ftp server and notebook
> are different hosts)

After homework on google it seems this feature is called "remote
administration". In Linux world only one ftp server I found support
this: "CrashFTP Server". Unfortunately the server is not opensource, and
doesn't have a powerpc binary release (which my server is).

--
Real Softservice

Huateng Tower, Unit 1788
Jia 302 3rd area of Jinsong, Chao Yang

Tel: +86 (10) 8773 0650 ext 603
Mobile: 159 1111 7382
http://www.realss.com

Old 09-07-2008, 08:26 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Sun, 07 Sep 2008 10:45:12 +0800, zhangweiwu@realss.com wrote:

> As I am monitoring ftp through a wireless LAN which max at 300KB/s,
> running X11-forwarding is not comfortable. running a desktop session on
> the server and run vnc seems overkill.

What's wrong with looking at the server's log file(s) in a standard SSH
session?

--
Neil Bothwick

If you only have a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail. *
Maslow

Old 09-07-2008, 12:26 PM
Zhang Weiwu

Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Sun, 07 Sep 2008 10:45:12 +0800, zhangweiwu@realss.com wrote:
>
>> As I am monitoring ftp through a wireless LAN which max at 300KB/s,
>> running X11-forwarding is not comfortable. running a desktop session on
>> the server and run vnc seems overkill.
>
> What's wrong with looking at the server's log file(s) in a standard SSH
> session?

Because that mess up with other user's ftp activities. Also because I
don't get the knowledge which folder the user I am watching is in (I
could tell this by looking at the log backwards and find his last 'cd'
command, but it's more convenient to look it just on the UI). There are
other functions that is convenient on the UI but not on the commandline,
e.g. number of concurrent connection a user have is directly on the UI
on Serv-U but with vsftpd I have to run some smart combination of
grep/sed/awk to get this info, and can be difficult to get it in real
time. Also consider information you cannot get from reading the log,
e.g. find out who is taking the biggest share of download badnwidth
right the moment your user complain being too slow.