Old 09-07-2008, 01:14 AM
Michael Sullivan

Default Recall info request on grub problem

Awhile back there was a thread about grub working but the menu not
showing up, and in that thread there was a setting suggested, something
like "vga=" or something like that. Can anyone refresh my memory as to
the name of that thread or the setting to make the menu show up?

Old 09-07-2008, 01:28 AM
Dale

Michael Sullivan wrote:

Awhile back there was a thread about grub working but the menu not
showing up, and in that thread there was a setting suggested, something
like "vga=" or something like that. Can anyone refresh my memory as to
the name of that thread or the setting to make the menu show up?

Was it this exchange?

Fri, 18 Jul 2008 12:47:52 +0000
dhk <dhkuhl@optonline.net> wrote:

> Sebastian GŁnther wrote:

> > * Andrew Tchernoivanov (tchernoivanov@gmail.com) [15.07.08 01:41]:

> >> Are the characters on the screen readable? I had this problem
> >> too, along with the black grub screen. If they aren't - try adding
> >> vga=0x31B to your grub.conf
> >>

> > Why should that help with grub? Did not found any hint, that ther
> > is a grub option called like that.
> >
> > There is a *kernel* option, called like that, but that won't help

> > with the grub issue.
> >
> > Please correct me if I'm wrong.
> >
> > Sebastian
> >

> So what is the solution to making grub visible again? I remember
> when it changed, I didn't understand the message displayed and I
> still don't know the fix.
>
> Running emerge --config grub doesn't work.
>
> Is it as simple as changing the path of the splash image to
> /usr/share/grub/ and running grub-install?
>
> Thanks,

> Dave

Just cp /usr/share/grub/splash.xpm.gz /boot/grub/

Or you could point to it in /usr, unless if you have /usr in lvm or
something else that grub wont be able to see

Dale

:-) :-)

Miika

Old 09-07-2008, 02:28 AM
Michael Sullivan

On Sat, 2008-09-06 at 20:28 -0500, Dale wrote:
> Michael Sullivan wrote:
> > Awhile back there was a thread about grub working but the menu not
> > showing up, and in that thread there was a setting suggested, something
> > like "vga=" or something like that. Can anyone refresh my memory as to
> > the name of that thread or the setting to make the menu show up?
> >

> Was it this exchange?
>
> Fri, 18 Jul 2008 12:47:52 +0000
> dhk <dhkuhl@optonline.net> wrote:

> > > So what is the solution to making grub visible again? I remember
> > > when it changed, I didn't understand the message displayed and I
> > > still don't know the fix.
> > >
> > > Running emerge --config grub doesn't work.
> > >
> > > Is it as simple as changing the path of the splash image to
> > > /usr/share/grub/ and running grub-install?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Dave
> >

> Just cp /usr/share/grub/splash.xpm.gz /boot/grub/
>
> Or you could point to it in /usr, unless if you have /usr in lvm or
> something else that grub wont be able to see
>

> Dale
>
> :-) :-)
>

> Miika

Yeah that's it. Does the vga line go in the general section (with variables like splashimage), or does it go on the /kernel line?

Old 09-07-2008, 02:35 AM
"Rob Rutherford"

Old 09-07-2008, 03:07 AM
Allan Gottlieb

At Sat, 06 Sep 2008 21:28:39 -0500 Michael Sullivan <michael@espersunited.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 2008-09-06 at 20:28 -0500, Dale wrote:
>> Michael Sullivan wrote:
>> > Awhile back there was a thread about grub working but the menu not
>> > showing up, and in that thread there was a setting suggested, something
>> > like "vga=" or something like that. Can anyone refresh my memory as to
>> > the name of that thread or the setting to make the menu show up?
>>
>> Was it this exchange?

>> Just cp /usr/share/grub/splash.xpm.gz /boot/grub/
>>
>> Or you could point to it in /usr, unless if you have /usr in lvm or
>> something else that grub wont be able to see
>>

> Yeah that's it. Does the vga line go in the general section (with
> variables like splashimage), or does it go on the /kernel line?

You don't need a vga line to fix the problem. Just make sure that the
splash.xpm.gz file is where /boot/grub/grub.conf says it is.
Either change grub.conf, or cp the file, or make a symlink, ...

hth,
allan