Old 09-06-2008, 08:46 PM
Dale

Default can't boot, "block device is not a valid root device"

Tamer Higazi wrote:

Hi people,
I have installed the latest gentoo linux distribution and I don't know
what I am missing in my installation, specially the last gentoo
installation worked for me fine.

At booting I recive the error message:

"Block device /dev/sda5 is not a valid root device."

Hard disk is a SATA one, with a Core2Duo machine.

What am I doing wrong?

for any help solving my problem, I would thank you kindly.

Tamer

content of my fstab and grub.conf:
http://rafb.net/p/Z9WNgO61.html

content of lspci:
http://rafb.net/p/VOtr9x33.html

Did you compile in the kernel the drivers for your chipset? Not as
modules but in the kernel, a Y not a M.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 09-07-2008, 07:22 AM
Dirk Heinrichs

Am Sonntag, 7. September 2008 07:45:35 schrieb Michele Schiavo:

> you need in .config kernel file
>
> CONFIG_ATA_PIIX=y
> CONFIG_EXT3_FS=y

According to his .config (posted in gentoo-user-de), both are in.

Bye...

Dirk