Old 09-05-2008, 07:55 PM
Neil Bothwick

Default Gentoo on Centrino 2 -- Have to wait?

On Fri, 05 Sep 2008 21:22:20 +0200, Jan Seeger wrote:

> If it is supported, how would I go about booting with a newer kernel?

Use the most recent live CD you can find. As long as it has rsync, tar
and chroot, you can use it to install Gentoo.

--
Neil Bothwick

"It compiled? The first screen came up? Ship it!" -- Bill Gates

Old 09-05-2008, 08:02 PM
"Paul Hartman"

On Fri, Sep 5, 2008 at 2:22 PM, Jan Seeger <jan.seeger@thenybble.de> wrote:
> Hey list,
>
> I have just received my new notebook, a Dell Latitude E6400. Of course, I
> now want to install linux on it. The problem is that the Gentoo minimal
> install cd recognizes neither the ethernet nor the wireless cards.
>
> Is the network card in this laptop (an Intel 82567LM Gigabit network
> controller) supported in the newest linux kernel or will I have to wait?
>
> If it is supported, how would I go about booting with a newer kernel?

If you can find any Linux boot CD (Ubuntu, Knoppix, etc) that can get
you attached to your network, then you can use that to install Gentoo.
Check "Alternative Installation Method" in the Gentoo installation
manual.

Alternatively, there should be a linux driver for your ethernet
controller on Intel's site. If you can download it on another machine
and copy it to your new one, maybe you can compile & load the module
during the installation.

Good luck!
Paul

Old 09-05-2008, 11:33 PM
7v5w7go9ub0o

Jan Seeger wrote:

Hey list,

I have just received my new notebook, a Dell Latitude E6400. Of course,
I now want to install linux on it. The problem is that the Gentoo
minimal install cd recognizes neither the ethernet nor the wireless cards.

Is the network card in this laptop (an Intel 82567LM Gigabit network
controller) supported in the newest linux kernel or will I have to wait?

If it is supported, how would I go about booting with a newer kernel?

FWIW, I use the same "box" on my desktop and notebook.

So I'd tweak the desktop kernel to include drivers and support
appropriate for the laptop and recompile it; I'd install the necessary
laptop stuff (e.g. special drivers, kismet, wpa_supplicant, etc.).

Once you have that done, back up your brand new notebook; load up a
"live" cd; use parted/gparted/qparted to resize the NTFS partition to an
appropriate size; create some partitions for linux use; use NFS to copy
your desktop OS to the LT; chroot into the notebook root partition and
re-run lilo/grub after tweaking lilo.conf, xorg.conf, fstab, net, and
perhaps syslog.conf; create a multi-boot option within the windows boot
loader to jump to your linux boot partition.

There are some real cons to this approach, but some real advantages as well:

1. you maintain only one OS, and copy it.
2. you have a second box "ready to go" if your primary breaks.
3. Why tear up a little laptop with the machinations necessary to
maintain a gentoo box?

HTH

Old 09-06-2008, 06:06 PM
Jan Seeger

Paul Hartman schrieb:

Is the network card in this laptop (an Intel 82567LM Gigabit network
controller) supported in the newest linux kernel or will I have to wait?

If it is supported, how would I go about booting with a newer kernel?
<snip>

Alternatively, there should be a linux driver for your ethernet
controller on Intel's site. If you can download it on another machine
and copy it to your new one, maybe you can compile & load the module
during the installation
I have downloaded the intel network driver and saved it on my usb
thumbdrive. The problem is that I
need a LiveCD with the kernel sources and gcc to compile the network
driver for the kernel.

I do have another linux machine here, but it's currently only accessible
via ssh (no graphics). Would that help me somehow?

Regards,
Jan Seeger

Old 09-06-2008, 06:21 PM
Dale

Jan Seeger wrote:

Paul Hartman schrieb:

[...]

Will a Knoppix CD see your network? You don't have to have a Gentoo CD
to install Gentoo. I did mine from a Mandrake OS. I have done it from
Knoppix and some other CD before. As long as your network works and you
can chroot, it should work fine. As long as memory isn't a issue.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 09-08-2008, 01:02 AM
"M. Sitorus"

SystemRescueCd is another alternative

--
Salam,

Marc

Old 09-08-2008, 04:13 PM
James

Jan Seeger <jan.seeger <at> thenybble.de> writes:

> Is the network card in this laptop (an Intel 82567LM Gigabit network
> controller) supported in the newest linux kernel or will I have to wait?

This may help (I googled for:
Intel 82567LM ethernet driver linux )

http://cateee.net/lkddb/web-lkddb/E1000E.html

# vendor: 8086 ("Intel Corporation"), device: 10bf
("82567LF Gigabit Network Connection")

hth,
James