Old 09-05-2008, 02:01 PM
Grant Edwards

Default openoffice only works as root

After my last "emerge -auvND world", openoffice stopped working
for non-root users. When I run

strace /usr/lib/openoffice/program/soffice -writer

I observe that the program hangs doing a waitpid() call on a
child that was forked to run /usr/lib/openoffice/program/oosplash.bin,
and oosplash.bin is hung waiting on this call:

connect(3, {sa_family=AF_FILE, path="/tmp/OSL_PIPE_1000_SingleOfficeIPC_353b22f3f3e79662742f 7b9c3463e52"}, 110

If I run oospalsh.bin from the command line, the same thing
happens, it hangs trying to connect to a Unix domain socket.

I've checked, and the socket does exist:

$ ls -l /tmp | grep 'OSL'
srwx------ 1 grante grante 0 Sep 3 23:03 OSL_PIPE_1000_SingleOfficeIPC_353b22f3f3e79662742f 7b9c3463e52

Any ideas on what to do next?

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! World War Three can
at be averted by adherence

Old 09-05-2008, 02:22 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Friday 05 September 2008 16:01:17 Grant Edwards wrote:
> After my last "emerge -auvND world", openoffice stopped working
> for non-root users. When I run
>
> strace /usr/lib/openoffice/program/soffice -writer
>
> I observe that the program hangs doing a waitpid() call on a
> child that was forked to run /usr/lib/openoffice/program/oosplash.bin,
> and oosplash.bin is hung waiting on this call:
>
> connect(3, {sa_family=AF_FILE,
> path="/tmp/OSL_PIPE_1000_SingleOfficeIPC_353b22f3f3e79662742f 7b9c3463e52"},
> 110
>
> If I run oospalsh.bin from the command line, the same thing
> happens, it hangs trying to connect to a Unix domain socket.
>
> I've checked, and the socket does exist:
>
> $ ls -l /tmp | grep 'OSL'
> srwx------ 1 grante grante 0 Sep 3 23:03
> OSL_PIPE_1000_SingleOfficeIPC_353b22f3f3e79662742f 7b9c3463e52
>
> Any ideas on what to do next?

so far everything looks right. Maybe check /tmp - what fs is it, and what are
the mount options you use?

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 09-05-2008, 02:24 PM
Grant Edwards

On 2008-09-05, Grant Edwards <grante@visi.com> wrote:
> After my last "emerge -auvND world", openoffice stopped working
> for non-root users. When I run
>
> strace /usr/lib/openoffice/program/soffice -writer
>
> I observe that the program hangs doing a waitpid() call on a
> child that was forked to run /usr/lib/openoffice/program/oosplash.bin,
> and oosplash.bin is hung waiting on this call:
>
> connect(3, {sa_family=AF_FILE, path="/tmp/OSL_PIPE_1000_SingleOfficeIPC_353b22f3f3e79662742f 7b9c3463e52"}, 110
>
> If I run oospalsh.bin from the command line, the same thing
> happens, it hangs trying to connect to a Unix domain socket.
>
> I've checked, and the socket does exist:
>
> $ ls -l /tmp | grep 'OSL'
> srwx------ 1 grante grante 0 Sep 3 23:03 OSL_PIPE_1000_SingleOfficeIPC_353b22f3f3e79662742f 7b9c3463e52
>
> Any ideas on what to do next?

After re-emerging openoffice and doing a "kill -9" on the hung
openoffice processes, it started working again. Dunno what was
wrong.

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! We have DIFFERENT
at amounts of HAIR --