Old 09-05-2008, 12:17 PM
William Kenworthy

Default gnome: "There was an error launching the application"

Ive just updated some 180 packages on my gnome desktop. I now have a
weird problem where if I click on a gnome program, it pops up a dialog
"There was an error launching the application."

The apps in question work fine if run from a terminal. Icons on the
taskbar seem to work ok (i.e., how I started the terminal). You can
click on an image on the desktop and gimp starts, but it fails if you
try and use its launch icon.

So what program or app within gnome launches programs when you click on
an icon?

revdep-rebuils says everything is fine - but its been lying through its
teeth on other systems of late so I dont trust it

BillK

--
William Kenworthy <billk@iinet.net.au>
Home in Perth!

Old 09-05-2008, 12:25 PM
"Mark Knecht"

On Fri, Sep 5, 2008 at 5:17 AM, William Kenworthy <billk@iinet.net.au> wrote:
> Ive just updated some 180 packages on my gnome desktop. I now have a
> weird problem where if I click on a gnome program, it pops up a dialog
> "There was an error launching the application."
>
> The apps in question work fine if run from a terminal. Icons on the
> taskbar seem to work ok (i.e., how I started the terminal). You can
> click on an image on the desktop and gimp starts, but it fails if you
> try and use its launch icon.
>
> So what program or app within gnome launches programs when you click on
> an icon?
>
> revdep-rebuils says everything is fine - but its been lying through its
> teeth on other systems of late so I dont trust it
>
> BillK

Bill,
Just went through the same update here on my wife's machine. I
didn't see this problem so at first blush it's not an endemic problem
with the code.

We have seen problems like this before with Gnome. The only
solution I've come up with is to delete the existing .gnome
directories. (All of them - 4 or 5 IIRC) Try creating a new user
account and testing Gnome in that account. If it doesn't have problems
then the existing account is getting hose by some incompatibility with
the older Gnome stuff and the (ugly) solution is to get rid of it.

Hope this helps,
Mark