Old 09-05-2008, 02:24 AM
"Wang, Baojun"

Default /etc/init.d/hwclock & /etc/init.d/ntp-client failed to start due to service dependency problem?

hi,

I'm using gentoo 2008.0 ~amd64 (and up-to-date). My kernel is compiled
with almost everything into modules (using initramfs of course) include
rtc-cmos.ko, which is required by hwclock to set time properly. If
rtc-coms is loaded, then hwclock will start with no error. but in the
depend section of /etc/init.d/hwclock, there is a line

before *

thus hwclock will start before modules (where I put rtc-cmos
in /etc/conf.d/modules), so it will always fail to ajust hwclock.

Besides, I'm using networkmanager (using gnome nm-applet) , so there
is no /etc/init.d/net.eth* stuff, but ntp-client have a section of

need net

but at that time when ntp-client start, there is no network avaliable (I
always get error will unable to reslove hostname XXX, so at least DNS is
not usable at that time, even I put after NetworkManager
in /etc/init.d/ntp-client).

Any hints? Thanks very much!

--
Wang, Baojun Lanzhou University