Old 09-04-2008, 05:39 PM
Konstantinos Agouros

Default migrate from 32 to 64bit...

Hi,

the mainboard on my main workbox needs a replacement (currently still an
athlon-xp based system). So I will go amd64 with that machine. Booting
a 64bit kernel on all the 32bit binaries works fine. What gives me a bit
of a headache is how to switch?

Thought a: create a directory /64 install everything there and then switch
lib, bin /usr

Thought b: create tbz2 of all the packages and then in one run replace
the 32 packages using emerge but i might run into library problems.

Anybody has a good and efficient idea, how to do this?

Regards,

Konstantin
--
Dipl-Inf. Konstantin Agouros aka Elwood Blues. Internet: elwood@agouros.de
Otkerstr. 28, 81547 Muenchen, Germany. Tel +49 89 69370185

Old 09-04-2008, 07:18 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Donnerstag, 4. September 2008, Konstantinos Agouros wrote:
> Hi,
>
> the mainboard on my main workbox needs a replacement (currently still an
> athlon-xp based system). So I will go amd64 with that machine. Booting
> a 64bit kernel on all the 32bit binaries works fine. What gives me a bit
> of a headache is how to switch?
>
> Thought a: create a directory /64 install everything there and then switch
> lib, bin /usr
>
> Thought b: create tbz2 of all the packages and then in one run replace
> the 32 packages using emerge but i might run into library problems.
>
> Anybody has a good and efficient idea, how to do this?
>
> Regards,
>
> Konstantin

a sounds good. b not. b is so much work that it would be faster to do a clean
new install. In fact, I recommend a clean new install - removes a lot of
cruft. You can backup /etc - that saves you from some setup trouble.

Old 09-04-2008, 07:24 PM
"Andrew MacKenzie"

+++ Konstantinos Agouros [gentoo-user] [Thu, Sep 04, 2008 at 05:39:20PM +0000]:
> Hi,
>
> the mainboard on my main workbox needs a replacement (currently still an
> athlon-xp based system). So I will go amd64 with that machine. Booting
> a 64bit kernel on all the 32bit binaries works fine. What gives me a bit
> of a headache is how to switch?
>
> Thought a: create a directory /64 install everything there and then switch
> lib, bin /usr
>
> Thought b: create tbz2 of all the packages and then in one run replace
> the 32 packages using emerge but i might run into library problems.
>
> Anybody has a good and efficient idea, how to do this?
I did this way back. I think there was some good instructions somewhere
but I can't seem to find them.

IIRC it involved doing something like an install. You boot from a CD,
install the stage tbz. Set your profile properly, and then do "emerge -ev
system; emerge -ev world".

--
// Andrew MacKenzie | http://www.edespot.com
// GPG public key: http://www.edespot.com/~amackenz/public.key