Old 09-04-2008, 01:34 PM

Default network drivers

Hi guys.
why while in livecd mode my ethernet device (Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation
NetXtreme BCM5751M Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express (rev 21) ) works perfectly out of the box,
in dhcp mode, but after installing gentoo, system says ' network interface eth0 does not exist'?
in kernel's .config file (2.6.25) I choose to install the drivers for broadcom NetXtreme II and
broadcom t3.there's something else I forgot to do?
thanks in advance
Giacomo

Old 09-04-2008, 01:44 PM
Dirk Heinrichs

Am Donnerstag, 4. September 2008 15:34:57 schrieb ext vetrocemento@gmail.com:
> Hi guys.
> why while in livecd mode my ethernet device (Ethernet controller: Broadcom
> Corporation NetXtreme BCM5751M Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express (rev 21) )
> works perfectly out of the box, in dhcp mode, but after installing gentoo,
> system says ' network interface eth0 does not exist'? in kernel's .config
> file (2.6.25) I choose to install the drivers for broadcom NetXtreme II
> and broadcom t3.there's something else I forgot to do?

If you compiled it as module, you should add an alias to

/etc/modules.d/aliases

for example: alias eth0 tg3

and run update-modules.

You may also have to add the module to /etc/conf.d/modules for loading at
boot.

Alternatively, you could just compile the driver(s) into the kernel ("Y" in
menuconfig).

HTH...

Dirk
--
Dirk Heinrichs | Tel: +49 (0)162 234 3408
D-40468 Düsseldorf | ICQ#: 110037733