Old 09-04-2008, 12:15 PM
luis jure

Default x264 flag on mplayer (amd64)

hello list,

i can't activate the x264 use flag an amd64 when trying to re-emerge
mplayer (with mencoder). (no problem on x86)

the funny thing is that i'm sure i had support for x264 until recently.
i still have some scripts i used not long ago, using x264 for encoding.

i googled trying to find out what is blocking x264 and why, without any
useful results. i also mucked the use.mask files in the profiles, but
nothing changed.

any hints greatly appreciated.

best,

lj

Old 09-04-2008, 02:16 PM
James

luis jure <ljc <at> internet.com.uy> writes:

> i can't activate the x264 use flag an amd64 when trying to re-emerge
> mplayer (with mencoder). (no problem on x86)

Well I have an amd64 (AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core)
with x264 flag set in make.conf. I have this version
of mplayer installed:
Installed versions: 1.0_rc2_p26753
with the x264 flag showing up as set.

Lost of folks have had recent problems with different
software pulling in different (conflicting) versions
of ffmpeg. I have this version of ffmpeg installed:
Installed versions: 0.4.9_p20070616-r3
with the x264 flag set (as we would expect).

My solution, which may or maynot be related to your issue,
was to remove all packages containing the keyword 'arts'.
All is fine, but, I have not robustly tested all
software that may be effected. When you update, look
for conflicting packages, and what they want to pull
in. Search the recent postings on this list for some
good information. Others have had similar related issues,
discussed in several threads.

hth,
James

Old 09-04-2008, 02:47 PM
Willie Wong

On Thu, Sep 04, 2008 at 09:15:44AM -0300, Penguin Lover luis jure squawked:
> i can't activate the x264 use flag an amd64 when trying to re-emerge
> mplayer (with mencoder). (no problem on x86)
>
> the funny thing is that i'm sure i had support for x264 until recently.
> i still have some scripts i used not long ago, using x264 for encoding.

Not quite sure what you mean. Please show:

emerge --info
emerge -pv mplayer
grep mplayer /etc/portage/package.use

When going on vacation, be sure to leave cans of dog food and a can opener
where your dog can easily reach them.
Sortir en Pantoufles: up 636 days, 13:24

Old 09-05-2008, 11:41 AM
luis jure

on 2008-09-04 at 10:47 Willie Wong wrote:

>Not quite sure what you mean. Please show:

sorry i didn't make myself clear the first time. the problem is that the
x264 flag appears parenthesized, meaning that it's not available and
can not be set.

this happens only on my amd64 laptop, not on my oldish x86 desktop. i
checked that the same happens with all packages that have a flag for
x264: mplayer, ffmpeg and libquicktime

duo ~ # emerge -pv mplayer
[ebuild R ] media-video/mplayer-1.0_rc2_p27458 USE="3dnow 3dnowext
X a52 aac aalib alsa cddb cdparanoia dv dvd encode esd gtk iconv jpeg
lzo mad mmx mmxext mp2 mp3 musepack opengl png quicktime rar real rtc
sdl srt sse sse2 theora truetype unicode v4l v4l2 vorbis xanim xv xvid
(-altivec) -amrnb -amrwb -arts -bidi -bindist -bl -cdio -cpudetection
-custom-cflags -custom-cpuopts -debug -dga -dirac -directfb -doc -dts
-dvb -dxr2 -dxr3 -enca -fbcon -ftp -ggi -gif -ipv6 -jack -joystick
-ladspa -libcaca -lirc -live -md5sum -nas -nemesi -openal -oss -pnm
-pulseaudio -pvr -radio -samba -schroedinger -speex -ssse3 (-svga)
-teletext -tga (-vidix) (-win32codecs) (-x264) -xinerama -xscreensaver
-xvmc -zoran" VIDEO_CARDS="-mga -s3virge -tdfx -vesa" 0 kB

similar for ffmpeg and libquicktime.

Old 09-05-2008, 12:10 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Friday 05 September 2008 13:41:39 luis jure wrote:
> on 2008-09-04 at 10:47 Willie Wong wrote:
> >Not quite sure what you mean. Please show:
>
> sorry i didn't make myself clear the first time. the problem is that the
> x264 flag appears parenthesized, meaning that it's not available and
> can not be set.
>
> this happens only on my amd64 laptop, not on my oldish x86 desktop. i
> checked that the same happens with all packages that have a flag for
> x264: mplayer, ffmpeg and libquicktime

That's strange as I have it installed here on this amd64 box:

alan@nazgul ~ $ ls -ald /etc/make.profile
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 57 Aug 3
17:49 /etc/make.profile -> /var/portage/profiles/default/linux/amd64/2008.0/desktop/

alan@nazgul ~ $ emerge -pv mplayer
Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild R ] media-video/mplayer-1.0_rc2_p27458 USE="3dnow 3dnowext X a52
aac aalib alsa cdparanoia dga doc dts dv dvb dvd encode ftp gif iconv jpeg
libcaca live lzo mad mmx mmxext mp3 musepack openal opengl png quicktime real
rtc samba sdl speex srt sse sse2 ssse3 theora truetype unicode v4l v4l2
vorbis x264 xanim xscreensaver xv xvid xvmc
(-altivec) -amrnb -amrwb -arts -bidi -bindist -bl -cddb -cdio -cpudetection -custom-cflags -custom-cpuopts -debug -dirac -directfb -dxr2 -dxr3 -enca -esd -fbcon -ggi -gtk -ipv6 -jack -joystick -ladspa -lirc -md5sum -mp2 -nas -nemesi -oss -pnm -pulseaudio -pvr -radio -rar -schroedinger
(-svga) -teletext -tga (-vidix) (-win32codecs) -xinerama -zoran"
VIDEO_CARDS="vesa -mga -s3virge -tdfx" 0 kB

All I did to get it was copy my portage configs over from the old 32 bit
machine.

x264 is masked out of the standard amd64 profile:
alan@nazgul ~ $ grep -r x264 /var/portage/profiles/* | grep amd64
/var/portage/profiles/arch/amd64/use.mask:# codec support x264
/var/portage/profiles/arch/amd64/use.mask:-x264
/var/portage/profiles/default-linux/amd64/use.mask:# codec support x264
/var/portage/profiles/default-linux/amd64/use.mask:-x264
/var/portage/profiles/hardened/amd64/use.mask:# codec support x264
/var/portage/profiles/hardened/amd64/use.mask:-x264

But I didnt override this in a profile, just put it in USE:
alan@nazgul ~ $ grep -r x264 /etc/portage/*
/etc/portage/package.use/package.use:media-video/mplayer 3dnow 3dnowext -bl
cdparanoia -gtk libcaca live lzo mmx mmxext musepack real rtc srt -tga x264
xanim xvmc

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot comg

Old 09-05-2008, 09:59 PM
luis jure

on 2008-09-05 at 14:10 Alan McKinnon wrote:

>On Friday 05 September 2008 13:41:39 luis jure wrote:
>> sorry i didn't make myself clear the first time. the problem is that
>> the x264 flag appears parenthesized, meaning that it's not available
>> and can not be set.

[..]

>That's strange as I have it installed here on this amd64 box:

well, i finally found out what's happening: somehow i was using the
selinux profile.

now, how and why on earth that happened, is beyond me. i never did
anything to change profiles. i returned to default amd64 profile and
x264 is now available again.

weird...