-   -   Weird df listing (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/152652-weird-df-listing.html)

Michael Sullivan 09-02-2008 11:51 AM

Weird df listing

Can someone please explain to me what's going on with /dev/sda6? I
couldn't log into GNOME after my reboot yesterday, and when I asked for
a df listing in the console, I got this. Shouldn't there be 4GB
available?

camille ~ # df -h
/dev/sda6 78G 74G 0G 100% /
udev 10M 184K 9.9M 2% /dev
/dev/sda7 52G 40G 12G 78% /mnt/store
shm 247M 0 247M 0% /dev/shm
catherine:/backup 44G 34G 8.5G 80% /backup/catherine

"Boris Fersing" 09-02-2008 11:57 AM

Weird df listing

On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 13:51, Michael Sullivan <michael@espersunited.com> wrote:
> Can someone please explain to me what's going on with /dev/sda6? I
> couldn't log into GNOME after my reboot yesterday, and when I asked for
> a df listing in the console, I got this. Shouldn't there be 4GB
> available?

Hi,

that might be the 5% which are reserved for the super-user. (on ext FSs)

regards,

Boris.

--
$ ruby -e'puts " .:@BFegiklnorst".unpack("x4ax7aaX6ax5aX15ax4aax6aa X7ax2
aX5aX8axaX3ax8aX4ax6aX3aX6ax3ax3aX9ax4ax2aX9axaX6a x3aX2ax4

ert256 09-02-2008 12:02 PM

Weird df listing

[ 02.09.2008 13:51 ], Michael Sullivan :
> Can someone please explain to me what's going on with /dev/sda6? I
> couldn't log into GNOME after my reboot yesterday, and when I asked for
> a df listing in the console, I got this. Shouldn't there be 4GB
> available?
>
> camille ~ # df -h
> /dev/sda6 78G 74G 0G 100% /
> udev 10M 184K 9.9M 2% /dev
> /dev/sda7 52G 40G 12G 78% /mnt/store
> shm 247M 0 247M 0% /dev/shm
> catherine:/backup 44G 34G 8.5G 80% /backup/catherine
Hello
If this is ext3 partition, it may be root reserved space.
You reduce it by running as root
tune2fs /dev/sda6 -m <reserved-blocks-percentage>
or
tune2fs /dev/sda6 -r <reserved-blocks-count>
Bye
--
Rafał (ert16) Trójniak
m@il : ert256@gmail.com

Xav' 09-02-2008 12:03 PM

Weird df listing

On Tue, 02 Sep 2008 06:51:14 -0500, Michael Sullivan
<michael@espersunited.com> wrote:
> Can someone please explain to me what's going on with /dev/sda6? I
> couldn't log into GNOME after my reboot yesterday, and when I asked for
> a df listing in the console, I got this. Shouldn't there be 4GB
> available?
>
> camille ~ # df -h
> /dev/sda6 78G 74G 0G 100% /

If you use journalised filesystem like ext3, it save some space for the
filesystem logs and for the root user.

> udev 10M 184K 9.9M 2% /dev
> /dev/sda7 52G 40G 12G 78% /mnt/store
> shm 247M 0 247M 0% /dev/shm
> catherine:/backup 44G 34G 8.5G 80% /backup/catherine

HTH.

--
Xavier

Volker Armin Hemmann 09-02-2008 01:39 PM

Weird df listing

On Dienstag, 2. September 2008, Michael Sullivan wrote:
> Can someone please explain to me what's going on with /dev/sda6? I
> couldn't log into GNOME after my reboot yesterday, and when I asked for
> a df listing in the console, I got this. Shouldn't there be 4GB
> available?
>
> camille ~ # df -h
> /dev/sda6 78G 74G 0G 100% /
> udev 10M 184K 9.9M 2% /dev
> /dev/sda7 52G 40G 12G 78% /mnt/store
> shm 247M 0 247M 0% /dev/shm
> catherine:/backup 44G 34G 8.5G 80% /backup/catherine

you have space left, but the inodes are all used up.

Typical problem for fs like extX.

Michael Sullivan 09-02-2008 05:05 PM

Weird df listing

On Tue, 2008-09-02 at 15:39 +0200, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
> On Dienstag, 2. September 2008, Michael Sullivan wrote:
> > Can someone please explain to me what's going on with /dev/sda6? I
> > couldn't log into GNOME after my reboot yesterday, and when I asked for
> > a df listing in the console, I got this. Shouldn't there be 4GB
> > available?
> >
> > camille ~ # df -h
> > Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
> > /dev/sda6 78G 74G 0G 100% /
> > udev 10M 184K 9.9M 2% /dev
> > /dev/sda7 52G 40G 12G 78% /mnt/store
> > shm 247M 0 247M 0% /dev/shm
> > catherine:/backup 44G 34G 8.5G 80% /backup/catherine
>
> you have space left, but the inodes are all used up.
>
> Typical problem for fs like extX.

What fs should I use instead? For future reference what's the current
standard?

kashani 09-02-2008 05:15 PM

Weird df listing