Old 09-02-2008, 06:03 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

Default Weird df listing

On Dienstag, 2. September 2008, kashani wrote:
> Michael Sullivan wrote:
> > On Tue, 2008-09-02 at 15:39 +0200, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
> >> you have space left, but the inodes are all used up.
> >>
> >> Typical problem for fs like extX.
> >
> > What fs should I use instead? For future reference what's the current
> > standard?
>
> I would verify that you are actually out of inodes before attempting to
> fix that problem. df -i should show you your inode usage.
>
> As everyone else has stated ext3 is set to keep 5% of the disk available
> for root by default and that is likely what the issue is. I would not
> change this as ext3 and most other file systems start having severe
> fragmenting issues at 90% usage and up.
>
> kashani

with 5% reserved for root he would see 5% free.

Old 09-02-2008, 06:32 PM
kashani

Michael Sullivan wrote:

On Tue, 2008-09-02 at 15:39 +0200, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:

you have space left, but the inodes are all used up.

Typical problem for fs like extX.

What fs should I use instead? For future reference what's the current
standard?

I would verify that you are actually out of inodes before attempting to
fix that problem. df -i should show you your inode usage.

As everyone else has stated ext3 is set to keep 5% of the disk available
for root by default and that is likely what the issue is. I would not
change this as ext3 and most other file systems start having severe
fragmenting issues at 90% usage and up.

kashani

with 5% reserved for root he would see 5% free.

Not true because to a general user the disk is full and df will reflect
that. People have been asking this same question for decades.

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.linux.setup/browse_thread/thread/84c3ca88bef26f90

kashani

Old 09-02-2008, 07:01 PM

On Tue, Sep 02, 2008 at 08:03:35PM +0200, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
> > Michael Sullivan wrote:
> > /dev/sda6 78G 74G 0G 100% /
> with 5% reserved for root he would see 5% free.

These are truncated integers.

78.0G * 5% = 3.9G

78.9G * 5% = 3.945G

Looks like 5% to me.

Felix Finch: scarecrow repairman & rocket surgeon / felix@crowfix.com
GPG = E987 4493 C860 246C 3B1E 6477 7838 76E9 182E 8151 ITAR license #4933

Old 09-02-2008, 08:05 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Tuesday 02 September 2008 19:05:53 Michael Sullivan wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-09-02 at 15:39 +0200, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
> > On Dienstag, 2. September 2008, Michael Sullivan wrote:
> > > Can someone please explain to me what's going on with /dev/sda6? I
> > > couldn't log into GNOME after my reboot yesterday, and when I asked for
> > > a df listing in the console, I got this. Shouldn't there be 4GB
> > > available?
> > >
> > > camille ~ # df -h
> > > Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
> > > /dev/sda6 78G 74G 0G 100% /
> > > udev 10M 184K 9.9M 2% /dev
> > > /dev/sda7 52G 40G 12G 78% /mnt/store
> > > shm 247M 0 247M 0% /dev/shm
> > > catherine:/backup 44G 34G 8.5G 80% /backup/catherine
> >
> > you have space left, but the inodes are all used up.
> >
> > Typical problem for fs like extX.
>
> What fs should I use instead? For future reference what's the current
> standard?

There isn't one, you get to use whatever filesystem and layout you feel will
get the job done best for you.

You might as well ask what's the current recommended standard 4-wheeled
vehicle (i.e. car) for a family

:-)

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 09-02-2008, 09:29 PM
Hal Martin

Alan McKinnon wrote:

[...]

I use JFS. It's a heck of a lot faster than extX to run a file system
check on I've never run into any problems with inodes, and it's fast to
create/delete files. The vehicle analogy works best, because it really
is to each their own when it comes to file systems.

Here are some file system benchmarks:
http://fsbench.netnation.com/

And for the graphically represented results people:
http://tservice.net.ru/~s0mbre/old/?section=projects&item=fs_contest2

To make a long read short:
JFS is less CPU intensive than most other file systems, faster to
create, check, and unmount; however, it's not as fast as others
(ReiserFS being the main one) when it comes to a large directory/file
structure.

-Hal

:-)

Old 09-02-2008, 09:35 PM
Nikos Chantziaras

Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:

Can someone please explain to me what's going on with /dev/sda6? I
couldn't log into GNOME after my reboot yesterday, and when I asked for
a df listing in the console, I got this. Shouldn't there be 4GB
available?

camille ~ # df -h
/dev/sda6 78G 74G 0G 100% /
udev 10M 184K 9.9M 2% /dev
/dev/sda7 52G 40G 12G 78% /mnt/store
shm 247M 0 247M 0% /dev/shm
catherine:/backup 44G 34G 8.5G 80% /backup/catherine

you have space left, but the inodes are all used up.

Typical problem for fs like extX.

How did you come to that conclusion? Default reserved space is 5%. 5%
of 78G is 3.9GB. Exactly the amount the OP is "missing" (df -h is
rounding the values, you don't get exact number, so here we can say
3.9GB == 4GB.)