Old 12-08-2007, 02:57 PM
John covici

Default is it safe to unmask sys-auth/policykit

Sorry if this is a duplicate -- II never got it back, so I am sending
it again.

Hi. I was trying to do an emerge --update --deep --with-bdeps=y world
and got the following error:

!!! All ebuilds that could satisfy ">=sys-auth/policykit-0.6" have
been masked.
!!! One of the following masked packages is required to complete your
request:
- sys-auth/policykit-0.6 (masked by: package.mask, ~x86 keyword)
/usr/portage/profiles/package.mask:
# Saleem Abdulrasool <compnerd@gentoo.org> (23 Nov 2007)
# Mask this until we get the input and mounting issues worked out

In view of this comment, should I unmaks it anyway and if not, how can
I get past this one?

Any assistance would be appreciated.

How do
you spend it?

John Covici
covici@ccs.covici.com

Old 12-08-2007, 04:03 PM
Rumen Yotov

John covici написа:
> Sorry if this is a duplicate -- II never got it back, so I am sending
> it again.
>
> Hi. I was trying to do an emerge --update --deep --with-bdeps=y world
> and got the following error:
>
> !!! All ebuilds that could satisfy ">=sys-auth/policykit-0.6" have
> been masked.
> !!! One of the following masked packages is required to complete your
> request:
> - sys-auth/policykit-0.6 (masked by: package.mask, ~x86 keyword)
> /usr/portage/profiles/package.mask:
> # Saleem Abdulrasool <compnerd@gentoo.org> (23 Nov 2007)
> # Mask this until we get the input and mounting issues worked out
>
> In view of this comment, should I unmaks it anyway and if not, how can
> I get past this one?
>
> Any assistance would be appreciated.

Hi,
Just add "-t"(--tree) to your emerge command, it'll probably show which
app requires policykit.
Then mask the update (not policykit) till the issues are fixed.
Or omit --deep which could eventually help here.
Rumen

Old 12-08-2007, 04:32 PM
John covici

on Saturday 12/08/2007 Rumen Yotov(rumen@qrypto.org) wrote
> John covici ??????:
> > Sorry if this is a duplicate -- II never got it back, so I am sending
> > it again.
> >
> > Hi. I was trying to do an emerge --update --deep --with-bdeps=y world
> > and got the following error:
> >
> > !!! All ebuilds that could satisfy ">=sys-auth/policykit-0.6" have
> > been masked.
> > !!! One of the following masked packages is required to complete your
> > request:
> > - sys-auth/policykit-0.6 (masked by: package.mask, ~x86 keyword)
> > /usr/portage/profiles/package.mask:
> > # Saleem Abdulrasool <compnerd@gentoo.org> (23 Nov 2007)
> > # Mask this until we get the input and mounting issues worked out
> >
> > In view of this comment, should I unmaks it anyway and if not, how can
> > I get past this one?
> >
> > Any assistance would be appreciated.
> >
> Hi,
> Just add "-t"(--tree) to your emerge command, it'll probably show which
> app requires policykit.
> Then mask the update (not policykit) till the issues are fixed.
> Or omit --deep which could eventually help here.

Well it said that dependency required by "sys-apps/hal-0.5.10"
[ebuild] so how do I prevent the update of hal and still be able
to let the rest of them go through? The -t gave nothing more.

How do
you spend it?

John Covici
covici@ccs.covici.com

Old 12-08-2007, 04:46 PM
Daniel Pielmeier

John covici schrieb:

on Saturday 12/08/2007 Rumen Yotov(rumen@qrypto.org) wrote
> John covici ??????:
> > Sorry if this is a duplicate -- II never got it back, so I am sending
> > it again.
> >
> > Hi. I was trying to do an emerge --update --deep --with-bdeps=y world

> > and got the following error:
> >
> > !!! All ebuilds that could satisfy ">=sys-auth/policykit-0.6" have

> > been masked.
> > !!! One of the following masked packages is required to complete your
> > request:
> > - sys-auth/policykit-0.6 (masked by: package.mask, ~x86 keyword)
> > /usr/portage/profiles/package.mask:
> > # Saleem Abdulrasool <compnerd@gentoo.org> (23 Nov 2007)
> > # Mask this until we get the input and mounting issues worked out
> >
> > In view of this comment, should I unmaks it anyway and if not, how can

> > I get past this one?
> >
> > Any assistance would be appreciated.
> >
> Hi,

> Just add "-t"(--tree) to your emerge command, it'll probably show which
> app requires policykit.
> Then mask the update (not policykit) till the issues are fixed.
> Or omit --deep which could eventually help here.

Well it said that dependency required by "sys-apps/hal-0.5.10"
[ebuild] so how do I prevent the update of hal and still be able
to let the rest of them go through? The -t gave nothing more.

sys-apps/hal-0.5.10 is masked itself. Why have you unmasked it?

Remove the unmask of hal-0.5.10 and go back to version 0.5.9.1-r3, The
masked version needs policykit, so no way around this!

Old 12-08-2007, 05:56 PM
Rumen Yotov

On (08/12/07 18:46) Daniel Pielmeier wrote:
> John covici schrieb:
>> on Saturday 12/08/2007 Rumen Yotov(rumen@qrypto.org) wrote
>> > John covici ??????:
>> world
>> have
>> how can
>> > Just add "-t"(--tree) to your emerge command, it'll probably show which
>> > app requires policykit.
>> > Then mask the update (not policykit) till the issues are fixed.
>> > Or omit --deep which could eventually help here.
>> Well it said that dependency required by "sys-apps/hal-0.5.10"
>> [ebuild] so how do I prevent the update of hal and still be able
>> to let the rest of them go through? The -t gave nothing more.
>
> sys-apps/hal-0.5.10 is masked itself. Why have you unmasked it?
>
> Remove the unmask of hal-0.5.10 and go back to version 0.5.9.1-r3, The
> masked version needs policykit, so no way around this!

+1 - please check the contents of your: /etc/portage/package.unmask file
IIRC.
Remove (comment) any entries you don't know why they are there.
Could also check the system profile: ls -ld /etc/make.profile
HTH. Rumen

Old 12-08-2007, 06:37 PM
John covici

on Saturday 12/08/2007 Rumen Yotov(rumen@qrypto.org) wrote
> On (08/12/07 18:46) Daniel Pielmeier wrote:
> > John covici schrieb:
> >> on Saturday 12/08/2007 Rumen Yotov(rumen@qrypto.org) wrote
> >> world
> >> have
> >> how can
> >> Well it said that dependency required by "sys-apps/hal-0.5.10"
> >> [ebuild] so how do I prevent the update of hal and still be able
> >> to let the rest of them go through? The -t gave nothing more.
> >
> > sys-apps/hal-0.5.10 is masked itself. Why have you unmasked it?
> >
> > Remove the unmask of hal-0.5.10 and go back to version 0.5.9.1-r3, The
> > masked version needs policykit, so no way around this!
> > --
> >
> Hi,
>
> +1 - please check the contents of your: /etc/portage/package.unmask file
> IIRC.
> Remove (comment) any entries you don't know why they are there.
> Could also check the system profile: ls -ld /etc/make.profile

OK, I remasked hal and got the following:

!!! All ebuilds that could satisfy ">=sys-apps/hal-0.5.10" have been
masked.
!!! One of the following masked packages is required to complete your
request:
- sys-apps/hal-0.5.10 (masked by: package.mask, ~x86 keyword)
/usr/portage/profiles/package.mask:
# Saleem Abdulrasool <compnerd@gentoo.org> (23 Nov 2007)
# Mask this until we get the input and mounting issues worked out

For more information, see MASKED PACKAGES section in the emerge man
page or
refer to the Gentoo Handbook.
(dependency required by "app-misc/hal-info-20071011" [ebuild])

!!! Problem resolving dependencies for media-sound/alsa-utils
!!! Depgraph creation failed.

and if I then remask hal-info I get

!!! All ebuilds that could satisfy "gnome-extra/policykit-gnome" have
been masked.
!!! One of the following masked packages is required to complete your
request:
- gnome-extra/policykit-gnome-0.6 (masked by: package.mask, ~x86
keyword)
/usr/portage/profiles/package.mask:
# Saleem Abdulrasool <compnerd@gentoo.org> (23 Nov 2007)
# Mask this until we get the input and mounting issues worked out

For more information, see MASKED PACKAGES section in the emerge man
page or
refer to the Gentoo Handbook.
(dependency required by "gnome-base/gnome-mount-0.7" [ebuild])

!!! Problem resolving dependencies for media-sound/alsa-utils
!!! Depgraph creation failed.

So you see wher we go, it would cancel all updates of gnome or a lot
of them.

How do
you spend it?

John Covici
covici@ccs.covici.com

Old 12-08-2007, 07:17 PM
Daniel Pielmeier

John covici schrieb:

on Saturday 12/08/2007 Rumen Yotov(rumen@qrypto.org) wrote
> On (08/12/07 18:46) Daniel Pielmeier wrote:
> > John covici schrieb:
> >> on Saturday 12/08/2007 Rumen Yotov(rumen@qrypto.org) wrote
> >> world

> >> have

> >> how can

> >> Well it said that dependency required by "sys-apps/hal-0.5.10"
> >> [ebuild] so how do I prevent the update of hal and still be able
> >> to let the rest of them go through? The -t gave nothing more.
> >
> > sys-apps/hal-0.5.10 is masked itself. Why have you unmasked it?
> >
> > Remove the unmask of hal-0.5.10 and go back to version 0.5.9.1-r3, The
> > masked version needs policykit, so no way around this!
> > --

> Hi,
>
> +1 - please check the contents of your: /etc/portage/package.unmask file

> IIRC.
> Remove (comment) any entries you don't know why they are there.
> Could also check the system profile: ls -ld /etc/make.profile

OK, I remasked hal and got the following:

!!! All ebuilds that could satisfy ">=sys-apps/hal-0.5.10" have been
masked.
!!! One of the following masked packages is required to complete your
request:
- sys-apps/hal-0.5.10 (masked by: package.mask, ~x86 keyword)
/usr/portage/profiles/package.mask:
# Saleem Abdulrasool <compnerd@gentoo.org> (23 Nov 2007)
# Mask this until we get the input and mounting issues worked out

For more information, see MASKED PACKAGES section in the emerge man
page or
refer to the Gentoo Handbook.
(dependency required by "app-misc/hal-info-20071011" [ebuild])

!!! Problem resolving dependencies for media-sound/alsa-utils
!!! Depgraph creation failed.

and if I then remask hal-info I get

!!! All ebuilds that could satisfy "gnome-extra/policykit-gnome" have
been masked.
!!! One of the following masked packages is required to complete your
request:
- gnome-extra/policykit-gnome-0.6 (masked by: package.mask, ~x86
keyword)
/usr/portage/profiles/package.mask:
# Saleem Abdulrasool <compnerd@gentoo.org> (23 Nov 2007)
# Mask this until we get the input and mounting issues worked out

For more information, see MASKED PACKAGES section in the emerge man
page or
refer to the Gentoo Handbook.
(dependency required by "gnome-base/gnome-mount-0.7" [ebuild])

!!! Problem resolving dependencies for media-sound/alsa-utils
!!! Depgraph creation failed.

So you see wher we go, it would cancel all updates of gnome or a lot
of them.

I would suggest to leave all packages which are hard-masked in it's
state as there are always reasons why packages are hard-masked

sys-apps/hal-0.5.10
hal-info-20071011
gnome-extra/policykit-gnome-0.6
gnome-base/gnome-mount-0.7

If gnome is really the issue then it shouldn't go stable when a
dependency is not stable!

Old 12-08-2007, 08:09 PM
John covici

on Saturday 12/08/2007 Daniel Pielmeier(daniel.pielmeier@googlemail.com) wrote
> John covici schrieb:
> > on Saturday 12/08/2007 Rumen Yotov(rumen@qrypto.org) wrote

> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > +1 - please check the contents of your: /etc/portage/package.unmask file
> > > IIRC.
> > > Remove (comment) any entries you don't know why they are there.
> > > Could also check the system profile: ls -ld /etc/make.profile
> >
> > OK, I remasked hal and got the following:
> >
> > !!! All ebuilds that could satisfy ">=sys-apps/hal-0.5.10" have been
> > masked.
> > !!! One of the following masked packages is required to complete your
> > request:
> > - sys-apps/hal-0.5.10 (masked by: package.mask, ~x86 keyword)
> > /usr/portage/profiles/package.mask:
> > # Saleem Abdulrasool <compnerd@gentoo.org> (23 Nov 2007)
> > # Mask this until we get the input and mounting issues worked out
> >

> > For more information, see MASKED PACKAGES section in the emerge man
> > page or
> > refer to the Gentoo Handbook.
> > (dependency required by "app-misc/hal-info-20071011" [ebuild])
> >

> > !!! Problem resolving dependencies for media-sound/alsa-utils
> > !!! Depgraph creation failed.
> >
> > and if I then remask hal-info I get
> >
> > !!! All ebuilds that could satisfy "gnome-extra/policykit-gnome" have
> > been masked.
> > !!! One of the following masked packages is required to complete your
> > request:
> > - gnome-extra/policykit-gnome-0.6 (masked by: package.mask, ~x86
> > keyword)
> > /usr/portage/profiles/package.mask:
> > # Saleem Abdulrasool <compnerd@gentoo.org> (23 Nov 2007)
> > # Mask this until we get the input and mounting issues worked out
> >

> > For more information, see MASKED PACKAGES section in the emerge man
> > page or
> > refer to the Gentoo Handbook.
> > (dependency required by "gnome-base/gnome-mount-0.7" [ebuild])
> >

> > !!! Problem resolving dependencies for media-sound/alsa-utils
> > !!! Depgraph creation failed.
> >
> > So you see wher we go, it would cancel all updates of gnome or a lot
> > of them.
> >

> I would suggest to leave all packages which are hard-masked in it's
> state as there are always reasons why packages are hard-masked
>
> sys-apps/hal-0.5.10
> hal-info-20071011
> gnome-extra/policykit-gnome-0.6
> gnome-base/gnome-mount-0.7
>
> If gnome is really the issue then it shouldn't go stable when a
> dependency is not stable!

What I would like to do is get gnome-2.20 -- this is my real problem
and since a lot of packages were masked either by ~x86 or hard mask --
this is how the whole thing got started -- actually a lot of these
were done for gnome 2.18.

How do
you spend it?

John Covici
covici@ccs.covici.com

Old 12-08-2007, 08:26 PM
Daniel Pielmeier

John covici schrieb:

on Saturday 12/08/2007 Daniel Pielmeier(daniel.pielmeier@googlemail.com) wrote
> John covici schrieb:
> > on Saturday 12/08/2007 Rumen Yotov(rumen@qrypto.org) wrote

> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > +1 - please check the contents of your: /etc/portage/package.unmask file

> > > IIRC.
> > > Remove (comment) any entries you don't know why they are there.
> > > Could also check the system profile: ls -ld /etc/make.profile
> >
> > OK, I remasked hal and got the following:
> >
> > !!! All ebuilds that could satisfy ">=sys-apps/hal-0.5.10" have been

> > masked.
> > !!! One of the following masked packages is required to complete your
> > request:
> > - sys-apps/hal-0.5.10 (masked by: package.mask, ~x86 keyword)
> > /usr/portage/profiles/package.mask:
> > # Saleem Abdulrasool <compnerd@gentoo.org> (23 Nov 2007)
> > # Mask this until we get the input and mounting issues worked out
> >

> > For more information, see MASKED PACKAGES section in the emerge man

> > page or
> > refer to the Gentoo Handbook.
> > (dependency required by "app-misc/hal-info-20071011" [ebuild])
> >

> > !!! Problem resolving dependencies for media-sound/alsa-utils

> > !!! Depgraph creation failed.
> >
> > and if I then remask hal-info I get
> >
> > !!! All ebuilds that could satisfy "gnome-extra/policykit-gnome" have

> > been masked.
> > !!! One of the following masked packages is required to complete your
> > request:
> > - gnome-extra/policykit-gnome-0.6 (masked by: package.mask, ~x86
> > keyword)
> > /usr/portage/profiles/package.mask:
> > # Saleem Abdulrasool <compnerd@gentoo.org> (23 Nov 2007)
> > # Mask this until we get the input and mounting issues worked out
> >

> > For more information, see MASKED PACKAGES section in the emerge man

> > page or
> > refer to the Gentoo Handbook.
> > (dependency required by "gnome-base/gnome-mount-0.7" [ebuild])
> >

> > !!! Problem resolving dependencies for media-sound/alsa-utils

> > !!! Depgraph creation failed.
> >
> > So you see wher we go, it would cancel all updates of gnome or a lot

> > of them.
> >

> I would suggest to leave all packages which are hard-masked in it's
> state as there are always reasons why packages are hard-masked
>
> sys-apps/hal-0.5.10

> hal-info-20071011
> gnome-extra/policykit-gnome-0.6
> gnome-base/gnome-mount-0.7
>
> If gnome is really the issue then it shouldn't go stable when a
> dependency is not stable!

What I would like to do is get gnome-2.20 -- this is my real problem
and since a lot of packages were masked either by ~x86 or hard mask --
this is how the whole thing got started -- actually a lot of these
were done for gnome 2.18.

Do you mean gnome-2.20 or gnome-2.20.1. The latter is stable on x86 so
all dependencies should be stable too.

What happens if you remove the above packages from packages.unmask. Does
the upgrade work. Which version of gnome-power-manager have you
installed, the latest in portage version 2.20.1 needs hal-0.5.10 so my
guess is that it is causing the mess.

Old 12-09-2007, 12:35 AM
John covici

on Saturday 12/08/2007 Daniel Pielmeier(daniel.pielmeier@googlemail.com) wrote
> John covici schrieb:
> > on Saturday 12/08/2007 Daniel Pielmeier(daniel.pielmeier@googlemail.com) wrote

> > > I would suggest to leave all packages which are hard-masked in it's
> > > state as there are always reasons why packages are hard-masked
> > >
> > > sys-apps/hal-0.5.10
> > > hal-info-20071011
> > > gnome-extra/policykit-gnome-0.6
> > > gnome-base/gnome-mount-0.7
> > >
> > > If gnome is really the issue then it shouldn't go stable when a
> > > dependency is not stable!
> >
> > What I would like to do is get gnome-2.20 -- this is my real problem
> > and since a lot of packages were masked either by ~x86 or hard mask --
> > this is how the whole thing got started -- actually a lot of these
> > were done for gnome 2.18.
> >

> Do you mean gnome-2.20 or gnome-2.20.1. The latter is stable on x86 so
> all dependencies should be stable too.
>
> What happens if you remove the above packages from packages.unmask. Does
> the upgrade work. Which version of gnome-power-manager have you
> installed, the latest in portage version 2.20.1 needs hal-0.5.10 so my
> guess is that it is causing the mess.

OK, I remasked the gnome-base/gnome-mount and the power manager and it
looks like it willgo through now -- thanks for all your help.

How do
you spend it?

John Covici
covici@ccs.covici.com