Old 09-01-2008, 05:51 PM
Sebastian Günther

Default emerge -1 `eix -Iu --only-names` & removing old version of Python

* Mick (michaelkintzios@gmail.com) [01.09.08 19:35]:
> On Sunday 31 August 2008, Neil Bothwick wrote:
> > On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 09:04:03 +0100, Mick wrote:
> > > $ eix -Iu --only-names
> > > app-arch/lzma-utils
> > > dev-libs/libsigc++
> > > media-plugins/gst-plugins-x
> > > media-plugins/gst-plugins-xvideo
> > > sys-apps/hdparm
> > > sys-kernel/gentoo-sources
> > > virtual/perl-Test-Harness
> > >
> > > However, when I run emerge -upDv --with-deps y world I get just one
> > > package:
> > >
> > > Where's the others gone?
> >
> > Probably old dependencies that are no longer needed? Did you run
> > emerge --depclean -p?
>
> No! --depclean is evil! ) (and/or my system is borked).

Your system is borked! ;-)

> It tells me to remove dev-python/pycrypto, when portage seems to depend on it:
>
> # equery depends dev-python/pycrypto
> [ Searching for packages depending on dev-python/pycrypto... ]
> sys-apps/portage-2.1.4.4 (!build? >=dev-python/pycrypto-2.0.1-r6)

Well you could just add it to your world file, but I really think there
is something misconfigure on your system.

> Also, it tells me to remove hdparm-8.6. I noticed that there is a 8.7 version
> available, but emerge -uDv world does not pick this up . . . why would that
> be so?

hdparm is not in the world file, and since no other package is depending
on it, portage is considering it's removal.

with emerge -n hdparm you can add it.

> # emerge -upDv hdparm

> Calculating dependencies... done!
> [ebuild U ] sys-apps/hdparm-8.9 [8.6] 75 kB
>
> Total: 1 package (1 upgrade), Size of downloads: 75 kB
> # emerge -upDv world

> Calculating world dependencies |
> ... done!
>
> Total: 0 packages, Size of downloads: 0 kB

All correct: hdparm is not in your world file.

Sebastian

--
" Religion ist das Opium des Volkes. " Karl Marx

SEB@STI@N GÜNTHER mailto:samson@guenther-roetgen.de

Old 09-01-2008, 08:07 PM
Sebastian Günther

* Mick (michaelkintzios@gmail.com) [01.09.08 20:22]:

> Where should I look?

An emerge --info is a start..

> > with emerge -n hdparm you can add it.
>
> Sure, but I had emerged (many years ago) so it should be in there, right?

Not necessarily, maybe you unmerged the package which required it,
removed the useflag which pulled it in or the dependency simply
vanished.

So just look at /var/lib/portage/world if it's in there.

If not: emerge -n hdparm, if you still want it.

Sebastian

Old 09-01-2008, 09:57 PM
Sebastian Günther

* Neil Bothwick (neil@digimed.co.uk) [01.09.08 23:14]:
> On Mon, 1 Sep 2008 11:49:36 +0100, Mick wrote:
>

> > It tells me to remove dev-python/pycrypto, when portage seems to depend
> > on it:
> >
> > # equery depends dev-python/pycrypto
> > [ Searching for packages depending on dev-python/pycrypto... ]
> > sys-apps/portage-2.1.4.4 (!build? >=dev-python/pycrypto-2.0.1-r6)
>
> equery is borked. pycrypto is a conditional dependency of portage, but
> equery depends takes no accounts of that, emerge --depclean does.

But it is a *negativ* condition: portage is not depending on pycrypto if
and only if the build useflag is specified, which noone should specify.

So --depclean should not consider it to be removed.

Sebastian