-   -   sound hosed after running python-updater (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/152270-sound-hosed-after-running-python-updater.html)

"Matthew R. Lee" 09-01-2008 04:36 PM

On Monday 01 September 2008 12:23:03 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> Matthew R. Lee wrote:
> > Yesterday I was having problems with a few packages, like openoffice,
> > because of java issues. The advice I found to correct the problem was to
> > run python-updater, which I did. It reemerged 33 packages one of which
> > was alsa-libs. It reemerged alsa-lib, it did not upgrade it.
>
> This should fix it:
>
> revdep-rebuild -X -i --ask
>
> the problem seems to be a link problem with the ALSA lib. When you hear
> "link problem", revdep-rebuild is the solution most of the time. It
> will rebuild packages that use the ALSA lib.

I ran revdep-rebuild last night after the big reemerge it didn't pick anything
up. Just to be sure I re-ran it when I got your email. I doesn't want to
rebuild anything.
Thanks
Matt

--
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
Dr. Matthew R. Lee

matt@matthewlee.org

Dale 09-01-2008 04:43 PM

Nikos Chantziaras wrote:

Matthew R. Lee wrote:
Yesterday I was having problems with a few packages, like openoffice,
because of java issues. The advice I found to correct the problem was
to run python-updater, which I did. It reemerged 33 packages one of
which was alsa-libs. It reemerged alsa-lib, it did not upgrade it.

This should fix it:

revdep-rebuild -X -i --ask

the problem seems to be a link problem with the ALSA lib. When you
hear "link problem", revdep-rebuild is the solution most of the time.
It will rebuild packages that use the ALSA lib.

I ran into this the other day. It doesn't like the -a or --ask option.

root@smoker / # revdep-rebuild -i --ask

Encountered unrecognized option --ask.

revdep-rebuild no longer automatically passes unrecognized options to
portage.

Separate emerge-only options from revdep-rebuild options with the -- flag.

For example, revdep-rebuild -v -- --ask

See the man page or revdep-rebuild -h for more detail.

root@smoker / #

Looks like it needs a little extra code. The -p option works tho.

Dale

:-) :-)

John covici 09-01-2008 04:54 PM

sound hosed after running python-updater

on Monday 09/01/2008 Matthew R. Lee(gentoo@matthewlee.org) wrote
> On Monday 01 September 2008 12:23:03 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> > Matthew R. Lee wrote:
> > > Yesterday I was having problems with a few packages, like openoffice,
> > > because of java issues. The advice I found to correct the problem was to
> > > run python-updater, which I did. It reemerged 33 packages one of which
> > > was alsa-libs. It reemerged alsa-lib, it did not upgrade it.
> >
> > This should fix it:
> >
> > revdep-rebuild -X -i --ask
> >
> > the problem seems to be a link problem with the ALSA lib. When you hear
> > "link problem", revdep-rebuild is the solution most of the time. It
> > will rebuild packages that use the ALSA lib.
>
> I ran revdep-rebuild last night after the big reemerge it didn't pick anything
> up. Just to be sure I re-ran it when I got your email. I doesn't want to
> rebuild anything.

I discovered that python-updater can emerge obsolete packages because
it tries to emerge exactly what it had before, so when running it,
emerge by hand without the = sign and the version numbers -- works
much better that way.

Not sure if this will help, but possibly.

Don't know how the alsa stuff got in python-updater, never heard of
python bindings for that.

How do
you spend it?

John Covici
covici@ccs.covici.com

Alan McKinnon 09-02-2008 07:05 AM

On Monday 01 September 2008 18:43:35 Dale wrote:
> Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> > Matthew R. Lee wrote:
> >> Yesterday I was having problems with a few packages, like openoffice,
> >> because of java issues. The advice I found to correct the problem was
> >> to run python-updater, which I did. It reemerged 33 packages one of
> >> which was alsa-libs. It reemerged alsa-lib, it did not upgrade it.
> >
> > This should fix it:
> >
> > revdep-rebuild -X -i --ask
> >
> > the problem seems to be a link problem with the ALSA lib. When you
> > hear "link problem", revdep-rebuild is the solution most of the time.
> > It will rebuild packages that use the ALSA lib.
>
> I ran into this the other day. It doesn't like the -a or --ask option.
>
> root@smoker / # revdep-rebuild -i --ask
>
> Encountered unrecognized option --ask.
>
> revdep-rebuild no longer automatically passes unrecognized options to
> portage.
> Separate emerge-only options from revdep-rebuild options with the -- flag.
>
> For example, revdep-rebuild -v -- --ask
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
You missed this bit. It's working as designed.

Command line parsers are written this way to avoid option conflicts. If
revdep-rebuild and emerge both have -a options, which one should be used?
Logic says it should be revdep-rebuild gets the -a option but what if you do
want to pass it to emerge? That's why there's a "--" and why you have to use
it

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Dale 09-02-2008 07:28 AM

root@smoker / # revdep-rebuild -i --ask <<<<<<--------- I entered this <<<------

Encountered unrecognized option --ask. <<<<<------ It said this <<<<------

revdep-rebuild no longer automatically passes unrecognized options to
portage.
Separate emerge-only options from revdep-rebuild options with the -- flag.

For example, revdep-rebuild -v -- --ask

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
You missed this bit. It's working as designed.

Command line parsers are written this way to avoid option conflicts. If
revdep-rebuild and emerge both have -a options, which one should be used?
Logic says it should be revdep-rebuild gets the -a option but what if you do
want to pass it to emerge? That's why there's a "--" and why you have to use
it

I saw that but look at what I entered. I did enter --ask or am I still
missing something? My command was 'revdep-rebuild -i --ask'. What
should the command be for it to ask whether to update or not and pass it
on to emerge?

Dale

:-) :-)

Alan McKinnon 09-02-2008 07:41 AM

On Tuesday 02 September 2008 09:28:41 Dale wrote:

> >> root@smoker / # revdep-rebuild -i --ask <<<<<<--------- I entered
> >> this <<<------
> >>
> >> Encountered unrecognized option --ask. <<<<<------ It said this
> >> <<<<------
> >>
> >> revdep-rebuild no longer automatically passes unrecognized options to
> >> portage.
> >> Separate emerge-only options from revdep-rebuild options with the --
> >> flag.
> >>
> >> For example, revdep-rebuild -v -- --ask
> >
> > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > You missed this bit. It's working as designed.
> >
> > Command line parsers are written this way to avoid option conflicts. If
> > revdep-rebuild and emerge both have -a options, which one should be used?
> > Logic says it should be revdep-rebuild gets the -a option but what if you
> > do want to pass it to emerge? That's why there's a "--" and why you have
> > to use it
>
> I saw that but look at what I entered. I did enter --ask or am I still
> missing something? My command was 'revdep-rebuild -i --ask'. What
> should the command be for it to ask whether to update or not and pass it
> on to emerge?

You said this:

revdep-rebuild -i --ask

revdep-rebuild doesn't have an -a option so you get an error just like every
other time you use wrong options with commands. You should have said this

revdep-rebuild -i -- -ask
^^
NB!!

Which is what the output was telling you all along. Previously you didn't need
the "--", but that leads to all manner of horrible screw-ups

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Dale 09-02-2008 08:12 AM

You said this:

revdep-rebuild -i --ask

revdep-rebuild doesn't have an -a option so you get an error just like every
other time you use wrong options with commands. You should have said this

revdep-rebuild -i -- -ask
^^
NB!!

Which is what the output was telling you all along. Previously you didn't need
the "--", but that leads to all manner of horrible screw-ups

Aaaaa, I gotcha. Keep in mind I'm not a programmer here. Not real sure
what the -- means either but as long as it works. Wooooo Oooooooo !!

Dale

:-) :-)

Alan McKinnon 09-02-2008 08:42 AM

On Tuesday 02 September 2008 10:12:33 Dale wrote:
> > Which is what the output was telling you all along. Previously you didn't
> > need the "--", but that leads to all manner of horrible screw-ups
> >

> > *
>
> Aaaaa, I gotcha. *Keep in mind I'm not a programmer here. *Not real sure
> what the -- means either but as long as it works. *Wooooo Oooooooo !!

It's just a convention. revdep-rebuild launches some other process (emerge) so
when it does that it takes everything it finds on it's own command line after
the " -- " and passes it on to emerge literally.

it's quite a common trick, startx/xinit also do the same thing, for the same
reason.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Neil Bothwick 09-02-2008 10:57 AM

On Tue, 2 Sep 2008 10:42:27 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:

> It's just a convention. revdep-rebuild launches some other process
> (emerge) so when it does that it takes everything it finds on it's own
> command line after the " -- " and passes it on to emerge literally.
>
> it's quite a common trick, startx/xinit also do the same thing, for the
> same reason.

In general it means "end of options", anything after the -- is considered
an argument to the program rather than an option. For example, suppose
you managed to create a file called -f, rm -f wouldn't work, but rm -- -f
would.

--
Neil Bothwick

Procedure: (n.) a method of performing a program sub-task in an
inefficient way by extensively using the stack instead of a GOTO.

"Walter Dnes" 09-02-2008 11:15 AM

sound hosed after running python-updater

On Mon, Sep 01, 2008 at 11:11:45AM -0400, Matthew R. Lee wrote

> I found a thread on the gentoo forums discussing this problem. It seems some
> pcm plugins need to be specified. So I specified all of them! reemerged
> alsa-libs and tools, utils, etc.
> Still the same error message!

Did you list them properly in /etc.make.conf ? Here's mine. The
plugins are listed on the last line. You should only need it if your
USE variable has the (in)famous "-*".

# These settings were set by the catalyst build script that automatically
# built this stage.
# Please consult /etc/make.conf.example for a more detailed example.
CFLAGS="-O2 -march=prescott -mmmx -msse -msse2 -msse3 -mfpmath=sse -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
# This should not be changed unless you know exactly what you are doing. You
# should probably be using a different stage, instead.
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
MAKEOPTS="-j1"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="ftp://gentoo.arcticnetwork.ca/pub/gentoo/ http://mirrors.acm.cs.rpi.edu/gentoo/ http://gentoo.netnitco.net"
SYNC="rsync://rsync.namerica.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
PORT_LOGDIR=/var/log/portage
PORTAGE_ELOG_CLASSES="warn error"
PORTAGE_ELOG_COMMAND="echo >> /var/log/portage/elog/cumulative.log"
PORTAGE_ELOG_SYSTEM="save"
PORTAGE_TMPFS="/dev/shm"
FEATURES="parallel-fetch fixpackages"
INPUT_DEVICES="keyboard mouse"
VIDEO_CARDS="i810 vga"
USE="-* X a52 aac bzip2 dga doc dri exif ffmpeg flac gif jpeg mmx mng mp3 mpeg nptl nptlonly nsplugin offensive ogg opengl png posix sse sse2 theora threads tiff truetype vim-syntax vorbis win32codecs wmf xcomposite xpm xv xvid zlib"
ALSA_PCM_PLUGINS="adpcm alaw asym copy dmix dshare dsnoop empty extplug file hooks iec958 ioplug ladspa lfloat linear meter mulaw multi null plug rate route share shm softvol"

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org>