-   -   sound hosed after running python-updater (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/152223-sound-hosed-after-running-python-updater.html)

"Matthew R. Lee" 09-01-2008 03:11 PM

sound hosed after running python-updater

Yesterday I was having problems with a few packages, like openoffice, because
of java issues. The advice I found to correct the problem was to run
python-updater, which I did. It reemerged 33 packages one of which was
alsa-libs. It reemerged alsa-lib, it did not upgrade it. All the emerges
finished without errors, but now the sound doesn't work. I've tried
reemerging all the alsa stuff but no joy. I have the alsa drivers in the
kernel and I'm using alsa-libs-1.0.16
When I try running madplay -v Music/Megamix/19.mp3
I get the following error:
MPEG Audio Decoder 0.15.2 (beta) - Copyright (C) 2000-2004 Robert Leslie et
al.
ALSA lib dlmisc.c:118:(snd_dlsym_verify) unable to verify version for symbol
_snd_pcm_plug_open
ALSA lib pcm.c:2108:(snd_pcm_open_conf) symbol _snd_pcm_plug_open is not
defined inside [builtin]
audio: No such device or address

I found a thread on the gentoo forums discussing this problem. It seems some
pcm plugins need to be specified. So I specified all of them! reemerged
alsa-libs and tools, utils, etc.
Still the same error message!
I've run out of ideas, anybody know what the problem is?
Thanks
Matt
--
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
Dr. Matthew R. Lee

matt@matthewlee.org

Nikos Chantziaras 09-01-2008 04:23 PM

Matthew R. Lee wrote:
Yesterday I was having problems with a few packages, like openoffice, because
of java issues. The advice I found to correct the problem was to run
python-updater, which I did. It reemerged 33 packages one of which was
alsa-libs. It reemerged alsa-lib, it did not upgrade it.

This should fix it:

revdep-rebuild -X -i --ask

the problem seems to be a link problem with the ALSA lib. When you hear
"link problem", revdep-rebuild is the solution most of the time. It
will rebuild packages that use the ALSA lib.