Old 09-01-2008, 06:45 AM
Alan McKinnon

Default grub.conf

On Monday 01 September 2008 08:24:45 vetrocemento@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I've succesfully installed gentoo on my pc, but when i wrote grub.conf,
> i've made a mistake; in the second line, instead of < kernel
> /boot/kernel-2.6.25- gentoo-r7 root=/dev/sda3> i wrote < kernel
> /boot/linux-2.6.25-gentoo-r7 root=/dev/sda3>.
> I discovered this when i tried to boot and grub gave me error 15.So i
> edited this line while in grub and then pressed 'b' to boot. Everything was
> ok. but the changes I made to the grub.conf are not permanent. How can I
> fix it? Should I use livecd to reach grub.conf and edit it? if yes, what's
> the path?

No, just boot again like you did the first time by editing the kernel line on
the fly at the boot screen.

When the machine has booted, edit (as root!)
/boot/grub/grub.conf
or
/boot/grub/menu.lst
you may have to mount /boot first depending how you set up fstab.
Both file names are commonly used in real life and one will be a symlink to
the other

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com