Old 09-01-2008, 12:09 AM
David Relson

Default numeric keypad problem

G'day,

Yesterday I updated from 2.6.24 to 2.6.25 and, after rebooting, found
that I have problems with my numeric keypad. Its arrow keys, home,
end, etc are _not_ working. I can use the comparable keys between the
alpha keys and the keypad.

I'm guessing that it's an xorg.conf issue but don't know what to check.

Any suggestions about xorg.conf or other things to check and examine?

Thanks.

David

P.S. The num lock light is off, as I like it.

Old 09-01-2008, 04:30 AM
Nikos Chantziaras

David Relson wrote:

G'day,

Yesterday I updated from 2.6.24 to 2.6.25 and, after rebooting, found
that I have problems with my numeric keypad. Its arrow keys, home,
end, etc are _not_ working. I can use the comparable keys between the
alpha keys and the keypad.

I'm guessing that it's an xorg.conf issue but don't know what to check.

Any suggestions about xorg.conf or other things to check and examine?

If you're using the evdev driver for your keyboard, make sure your
desktop applet that is responsible for keyboard layouts (both Gnome and
KDE have one) is configured to use an "evdev managed keyboard" rather
than something like "pc104" and the like.

Old 09-01-2008, 10:50 PM
David Relson

On Mon, 01 Sep 2008 07:30:21 +0300
Nikos Chantziaras wrote:

> David Relson wrote:
> > G'day,
> >
> > Yesterday I updated from 2.6.24 to 2.6.25 and, after rebooting,
> > found that I have problems with my numeric keypad. Its arrow
> > keys, home, end, etc are _not_ working. I can use the comparable
> > keys between the alpha keys and the keypad.
> >
> > I'm guessing that it's an xorg.conf issue but don't know what to
> > check.
> >
> > Any suggestions about xorg.conf or other things to check and
> > examine?
>
> If you're using the evdev driver for your keyboard, make sure your
> desktop applet that is responsible for keyboard layouts (both Gnome
> and KDE have one) is configured to use an "evdev managed keyboard"
> rather than something like "pc104" and the like.

Here's the keyboard section. Looks like I'm using pc104.

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Keyboard0"
Driver "kbd"
Option "CoreKeyboard"
Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
Option "XkbModel" "pc104"
Option "XkbOptions" "grp:toggle,grp_led:scroll"
Option "XkbVariant" ",winkeys"
EndSection

The numeric keypad's keys seem to be quite totally nonfunctional. The
cursor control keys do nothing in OpenOffice, emacs, claws-mail, etc
(while the cursor keys to the keypad's left all work fine). With
NumLock on, the keypad's numbers do nothing.

Old 09-01-2008, 11:15 PM
Nikos Chantziaras

David Relson wrote:

[...]

For reference, this is mine:

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Keyboard0"
Driver "kbd"
Option "AutoRepeat" "250 30"
Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
Option "XkbModel" "pc104"
Option "XkbLayout" "us"
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
# [various other stuff]
InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
EndSection

Old 09-02-2008, 12:10 PM
Michael Sullivan

On Tue, 2008-09-02 at 02:15 +0300, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> David Relson wrote:
> > On Mon, 01 Sep 2008 07:30:21 +0300
> > Nikos Chantziaras wrote:

> >> If you're using the evdev driver for your keyboard, make sure your
> >> desktop applet that is responsible for keyboard layouts (both Gnome
> >> and KDE have one) is configured to use an "evdev managed keyboard"
> >> rather than something like "pc104" and the like.
> >
> > Here's the keyboard section. Looks like I'm using pc104.
> >
> > Section "InputDevice"
> > Identifier "Keyboard0"
> > Driver "kbd"
> > Option "CoreKeyboard"
> > Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
> > Option "XkbModel" "pc104"
> > Option "XkbOptions" "grp:toggle,grp_led:scroll"
> > Option "XkbVariant" ",winkeys"
> > EndSection
> >
> > The numeric keypad's keys seem to be quite totally nonfunctional. The
> > cursor control keys do nothing in OpenOffice, emacs, claws-mail, etc
> > (while the cursor keys to the keypad's left all work fine). With
> > NumLock on, the keypad's numbers do nothing.
>
> For reference, this is mine:
>
> Section "InputDevice"
> Identifier "Keyboard0"
> Driver "kbd"
> Option "AutoRepeat" "250 30"
> Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
> Option "XkbModel" "pc104"
> Option "XkbLayout" "us"
> EndSection
>
> Section "ServerLayout"
> # [various other stuff]
> InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
> EndSection

My numeric keypad hasn't been working either. I altered my xorg.conf to
match the segments listed above and restarted xdm and it still doesn't
work. I'm using

camille ~ # uname -a
Linux camille 2.6.25-gentoo-r6 #1 SMP Sun Jul 20 08:49:07 CDT 2008 i686
GNU/Linux

Old 09-02-2008, 12:32 PM
Philip Webb

080902 various people discussed:
> Yesterday I updated from 2.6.24 to 2.6.25
> and, after rebooting, I have problems with my numeric keypad.
> Its arrow keys, home, end, etc are _not_ working.

I have the keypad arrows set to move the curse (like the mouse).
IIRC it's a setting somewhere in KDE. Might this be the cause/problem ?

SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb

Old 09-03-2008, 12:09 AM
David Relson

On Tue, 2 Sep 2008 08:32:49 -0400
Philip Webb wrote:

> 080902 various people discussed:
> > Yesterday I updated from 2.6.24 to 2.6.25
> > and, after rebooting, I have problems with my numeric keypad.
> > Its arrow keys, home, end, etc are _not_ working.
>
> I have the keypad arrows set to move the curse (like the mouse).
> IIRC it's a setting somewhere in KDE. Might this be the
> cause/problem ?

I don't think that a KDE setting is the issue as I'm a Gnome user :->
However I have noticed something interesting. The numeric keypad's
cursor control keys move the _mouse_ cursor while the other set move
the text cursor, i.e. where the next character typed will appear.

Old 09-03-2008, 01:21 AM
Philip Webb

080902 David Relson wrote:
> 080902 Philip Webb wrote:
>> I have the keypad arrows set to move the cursor (like the mouse).
>> IIRC it's a setting somewhere in KDE. Might this be the cause/problem ?
> I don't think that a KDE setting is the issue as I'm a Gnome user :->
> However the numeric keypad's cursor control keys move the _mouse_ cursor
> while the other set move the text cursor,
> i.e. where the next character typed will appear.

That's what I have: it's set in

KDE Control Centre -> Peripherals -> Mouse -> Navigation -> checkbox

Perhaps Gnome has a similar setting somewhere ?

SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb