Old 08-30-2008, 11:11 PM
CJoeB

Default Default profile question

Hi all,

I just did an emerge --sync and when I did 'emerge --pretend --update
--deep world', I got told that my profile was deprecated.

I was told to run the following steps:

# cd /etc/
# rm make.profile
# ln -s ../usr/portage/profiles/default/linux/x86/2008.0 make.profile

I just want to make sure that if I do this, nothing will get broken or
if there are any "gotchas". If anyone has some words of wisdom, I would
appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

Colleen

--

Registered Linux User #411143 with the Linux Counter, http://counter.li.org

Old 08-30-2008, 11:24 PM
Tomáš Krasničan

Hi,

you can manage your /etc/make.profile symlink by eselect (emerge -av
eselect) tool.

"Eselect is a tool for administration and configuration on Gentoo
systems. It provides consistent interface and tool names."

eselect profile list - lists available profiles on your system
eselect profile set <num> - select a profile for portage to use

Old 08-31-2008, 12:05 AM
Dale

CJoeB wrote / nap*sal(a):

Hi all,

I just did an emerge --sync and when I did 'emerge --pretend --update
--deep world', I got told that my profile was deprecated.

I was told to run the following steps:

# cd /etc/
# rm make.profile
# ln -s ../usr/portage/profiles/default/linux/x86/2008.0 make.profile

I just want to make sure that if I do this, nothing will get broken
or if there are any "gotchas". If anyone has some words of wisdom, I
would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

Colleen

And I have been using the 2008 profile for a while with no issues. You
can use a 2007 profile if they are not to old yet.

Hope that helps.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 08-31-2008, 07:35 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Sat, 30 Aug 2008 18:11:31 -0500, CJoeB wrote:

> I just want to make sure that if I do this, nothing will get broken or
> if there are any "gotchas". If anyone has some words of wisdom, I
> would appreciate it.

As already mentioned use eselect to manage your profiles.

Run emerge -uavDN world after changing it, as a changed profile usually
brings changed default USE flags.

--
Neil Bothwick

If a deaf person swears, does his mother wash his hands with soap?