Old 08-29-2008, 05:15 PM
Alan McKinnon

Default KDE and Gnome start-up apps

Hi all,

I use e17 as my window manager as well as various KDE and Gnome apps. I find
that fonts used in these apps are much bigger in e17 than in their native
environments - GTK apps being especially bad and Firefox being the worst.

By reading the 'startkde' script I found that running kcminit from my .xinitrc
makes a huge difference to KDE apps (they are now almost perfect). But kcminit
has something to do with control modules, so I think this is more a happy
side-effect that the RightThingToDo(tm). And I can't find the magic Gnome
thingy that has the same effect.

Anyone know the correct commands that KDE and Gnome run during startup to set
their environment correctly? I don't want to fiddle with themes and font
sizes, I do use the other desktops occasionally and when I do things must
still be readable.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com