Old 08-28-2008, 01:13 PM
"Chuanwen Wu"

Default How to publish a project?

Hi,

I am not sure if here is a right place to ask such question, but I
just think maybe someone here have such experience and may help me.

I have written a project, which is a distribution net file system, and
I want to publish it under GPL.
I have source code now of course, but I don't know how to make package
and publish it as a project .
I need the details, then I can follow step by step and make my dream
come true

I have read "Software Release Practice
HOWTO"(http://en.tldp.org/HOWTO/Software-Release-Practice-HOWTO/index.html),
but it seems very old.

So maybe you can give some advice?

Any help will be appreciated!

--
wcw

Old 08-28-2008, 05:22 PM
James

Chuanwen Wu <wcw8410 <at> gmail.com> writes:

> I have written a project, which is a distribution net file system, and
> I want to publish it under GPL.
> I have source code now of course, but I don't know how to make package
> and publish it as a project .

Well you can just make the code available via cvs or svn. Or you
can publish your code via freshmeat or sourceforge, or directly
off of your ftp/web server.

First you have to decide if it is just a command line package or
gui as to how to package it. The answer will differ, slightly according
to which distro you wish to publish it for. Let assume gentoo is your
distro choice.

My suggestion would be to have a look at these links (but google for more):

http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/sunrise/

http://devmanual.gentoo.org/

http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/devrel/handbook/handbook.xml?part=0&chap=0

http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Create_an_Updated_Ebuild

hth,

James

Old 08-28-2008, 09:05 PM
"Andrey Falko"

On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 6:13 AM, Chuanwen Wu <wcw8410@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am not sure if here is a right place to ask such question, but I
> just think maybe someone here have such experience and may help me.
>
> I have written a project, which is a distribution net file system, and
> I want to publish it under GPL.
> I have source code now of course, but I don't know how to make package
> and publish it as a project .
> I need the details, then I can follow step by step and make my dream
> come true
>
> I have read "Software Release Practice
> HOWTO"(http://en.tldp.org/HOWTO/Software-Release-Practice-HOWTO/index.html),
> but it seems very old.
>
> So maybe you can give some advice?
>
> Any help will be appreciated!
>
> --
> wcw

The most important thing to do is to include a LICENSE file as part of
your source code. Also you need to have some text in the beginning of
all of your source files. Read all about there here:
http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/gpl-howto.html

After you do this, make your source code availible via svn, cvs, or
just via tar balls.

Then you can make an ebuild, etc. if you want it to work with portage, etc.

Old 08-28-2008, 09:06 PM
"b.n."

James ha scritto:

Chuanwen Wu <wcw8410 <at> gmail.com> writes:

I have written a project, which is a distribution net file system, and
I want to publish it under GPL.
I have source code now of course, but I don't know how to make package
and publish it as a project .

Well you can just make the code available via cvs or svn. Or you
can publish your code via freshmeat or sourceforge, or directly
off of your ftp/web server.

I would strongly recommend using a public version management system if
you want to maintain an open source project (and even a non-open one).

I personally use Subversion (SVN) on Google Code; which, for my needs,
fits well, is very well documented it is very simple to use. Google Code
also has a very easy web interface, even if not as flexible as
Sourceforge (but I found working with SF a bit of a pain).

A lot of people praise a lot Git, so maybe you should check that out too
before deciding (I don't know what source code repositories support Git,
by the way).

Just stay away from CVS: it is old, clunky and it is currently being
phased out by most people.

m.