Old 08-28-2008, 02:07 PM
Dirk Heinrichs

Default emerge kde-meta troubles

Am Donnerstag, 28. August 2008 15:45:01 schrieb ext Dirk Heinrichs:
> Am Donnerstag, 28. August 2008 15:41:24 schrieb ext Sebastian Beßler:
> > It is not the -1 that is added but the --newuse that is left.
>
> Once more: it's _not_ because of --newuse, but because of -D!

Seems that was nonsense, --newuse was the cause. Sorry for the hassle.

Bye...

Dirk
--
Dirk Heinrichs | Tel: +49 (0)162 234 3408
D-40468 Düsseldorf | ICQ#: 110037733

Old 08-28-2008, 02:21 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 07:32:01 -0500, Dale wrote:

> Let me give this a shot. You don't really want every package you have
> installed to be recorded in the world file. It can make you do updates
> that you may not really need.

That's not the main reason for keeping world clean, since emerge --update
will update direct dependencies of packages in world, and --deep will
update anything upon which a package in world ultimately depends.

The main reason is that it stops your system being filled with cruft by
allowing emerge --depclean to work. If you put a library in world, then
even if you have removed all the packages that previously needed it, or
those packages no longer depend on it, portage will still consider it a
necessary part of your system.

--
Neil Bothwick

I have a spelling checker, it came with my Pea See;
It helps me too correct Miss Steaks eye mite knot sea.
I ran these versus threw it, yew mae bee pleased too no
Its word prefect in every weight; my spell cheque tolled me sew!

Old 08-28-2008, 02:54 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 19:11:34 +0530, Suman Chakrabarty wrote:

> But, "emerge -1v kdelibs" worked as suggested. I don't understand why it
> works with -1 option added, but not without.

It has nothing to do with the addition of -1, which only affects the
world file, but the removal of --newuse. Had you simply added -1 to the
command you used previously, it would still have done nothing.

--
Neil Bothwick

I'm really easy to get along with once you people learn to worship me.

Old 08-28-2008, 05:41 PM
Dale

Dirk Heinrichs wrote:

It is not the -1 that is added but the --newuse that is left.

Once more: it's _not_ because of --newuse, but because of -D!

Seems that was nonsense, --newuse was the cause. Sorry for the hassle.

Bye...

Dirk

Now I'm not so confused. Whew! LOL

Dale