Old 08-28-2008, 12:26 PM
Dirk Heinrichs

Default emerge kde-meta troubles

Am Donnerstag, 28. August 2008 14:19:46 schrieb ext Suman Chakrabarty:
> Now my question is: why? "man emerge" says that the -1 option is
> equivalent to "--oneshot" which is "Emerge as normal, but do not add the
> packages to the world file for later updating." But how does it help
> emerge something which was not emerging without -1?! May be I am missing
> something obvious, but please explain.

emerge adds only those packages to the world file which you specify
explicitely on the command line. All other packages which are installed to
fulfill the dependencies are not added. When you do a normal update, only
those packages listed in world are considered. To update dependencies as well,
you need to use -D. Therefor you should emerge kdelibs with -1 to avoid having
it added to the world file.

HTH...

Dirk
--
Dirk Heinrichs | Tel: +49 (0)162 234 3408
D-40468 Düsseldorf | ICQ#: 110037733

Old 08-28-2008, 12:32 PM
Dale

Suman Chakrabarty wrote:

Thanks everybody for your helpful replies.

Try this, emerge -1v kdelibs and then try to install the rest. What
it is saying is that you have upgraded qt since kdelibs was last
compiled and it needs to link everything to the new qt. After you
reemerge kdelibs, it should work fine.

It works! I mean emerging kde-meta is not finished yet, but it has gone
past the obstacle (kscreensaver) it was getting stuck at after I have
done "emerge -1v kdelibs". Thanks.

Now my question is: why? "man emerge" says that the -1 option is
equivalent to "--oneshot" which is "Emerge as normal, but do not add the
packages to the world file for later updating." But how does it help
emerge something which was not emerging without -1?! May be I am missing
something obvious, but please explain.

Let me give this a shot. You don't really want every package you have
installed to be recorded in the world file. It can make you do updates
that you may not really need. Since kdelibs is a dependency of
kde-meta, it should get upgraded when it needs to without it being in
the world file. Mostly, it just keeps you world file nice and clean
since it only has what is really needed listed there. A huge world file
is not really a good idea. It won't break anything that I know of but
it's not needed either.

Also, what this heck is this about? MailScanner has detected a
possible fraud attempt from "mirror.ovh.net" claiming to be That
shouldn't be in your make.conf file.

Well, those lines are not there in my make.conf file. But the mail
scanner must have modified the URL in the attachment in some manner to
include those strange warning/error messages. I am not sure about the
working principles of our institute mail server/scanner.

Best regards,
Suman Chakrabarty.

OK. I see now. It changed it on the email but the make.conf file is
normal. That's cool. I thought the make.conf file was being changed by
your mail scanner which confused me. It is early here. -_0

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 08-28-2008, 01:35 PM
"Daniel Pielmeier"

2008/8/28, Suman Chakrabarty <suman@sscu.iisc.ernet.in>:

> Thanks, but I don't think my confusion was addressed fully. Let me explain.
> The following command did not work as reported (and suggested) before:
>
> ~ # emerge -D --newuse kdelibs
> Calculating dependencies... done!

> But, "emerge -1v kdelibs" worked as suggested. I don't understand why it
> works with -1 option added, but not without. Even if I had included kdelibs
> in the world file, it should have been re-emerged through the previous
> command, right? I didn't see through the additional magic done by -1!

As I said -1 is not the problem here. The interesting and different
parts of this two commands are:

emerge kdelibs

This just re-emerges kdelibs.

emerge -D --newuse kdelibs or
emerge --deep --newuse kdelibs

Here all dependencies and changed use flags of all dependencies
including kdelibs will be re-emerged. The dependencies are updated
before kdelibs and thus in this case kdescreenseaver fails as it needs
kdelibs re-emerged first.

Regards,

Daniel

Old 08-28-2008, 01:36 PM
Xav'

On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 19:11:34 +0530, Suman Chakrabarty
<suman@sscu.iisc.ernet.in> wrote:
> Dirk Heinrichs wrote:
>> Am Donnerstag, 28. August 2008 14:19:46 schrieb ext Suman Chakrabarty:
>>
>>> Now my question is: why? "man emerge" says that the -1 option is
>>> equivalent to "--oneshot" which is "Emerge as normal, but do not add
> the
>>> packages to the world file for later updating." But how does it help
>>> emerge something which was not emerging without -1?! May be I am
> missing
>>> something obvious, but please explain.
>>>

>> emerge adds only those packages to the world file which you specify
>> explicitely on the command line. All other packages which are installed
>> fulfill the dependencies are not added. When you do a normal update,
> only
>> those packages listed in world are considered. To update dependencies as
> well,
>> you need to use -D. Therefor you should emerge kdelibs with -1 to avoid
> having
>> it added to the world file.
>>

> Thanks, but I don't think my confusion was addressed fully. Let me
> explain. The following command did not work as reported (and suggested)
> before:
>
> ~ # emerge -D --newuse kdelibs
> Calculating dependencies... done!

> But, "emerge -1v kdelibs" worked as suggested. I don't understand why it
> works with -1 option added, but not without. Even if I had included
> kdelibs in the world file, it should have been re-emerged through the
> previous command, right? I didn't see through the additional magic done
> by -1!

This has not worked not because of the -1, but because you remove --newuse
! --newuse will emerge the package only if its use flags has changed, and
it wasn't the case

--
Xavier Parizet

Old 08-28-2008, 01:37 PM
Dirk Heinrichs

Am Donnerstag, 28. August 2008 15:41:34 schrieb ext Suman Chakrabarty:

> Thanks, but I don't think my confusion was addressed fully. Let me
> explain. The following command did not work as reported (and suggested)
> before:
>
> * ~ # emerge -D --newuse kdelibs
> Calculating dependencies... done!

Yes, because you wanted to _update_ the package, but it was up-to-date.

> But, "emerge -1v kdelibs" worked as suggested. I don't understand why it
> works with -1 option added, but not without.

This has nothing to do with -1 (or --oneshot). It's update vs. install. So
what you did was "emerge kdelibs" instead of "emerge -D --newuse kdelibs" with
a -1 added to prevent adding the package to world.

HTH...

Dirk

Old 08-28-2008, 01:38 PM
Dirk Heinrichs

Am Donnerstag, 28. August 2008 15:36:54 schrieb ext Xav:

> This has not worked not because of the -1, but because you remove --newuse

No, it was because he removed -D (deep update), to force a (re-)installation.

Bye...

Dirk
--
Dirk Heinrichs | Tel: +49 (0)162 234 3408
D-40468 Düsseldorf | ICQ#: 110037733
GPG Public Key C2E467BB | Keyserver: wwwkeys.pgp.net

Thu Aug 28 17:30:01 2008
> Thanks, but I don't think my confusion was addressed fully. Let me
> explain. The following command did not work as reported (and suggested)
> before:
>
> ~ # emerge -D --newuse kdelibs
> Calculating dependencies... done!

> But, "emerge -1v kdelibs" worked as suggested. I don't understand why it
> works with -1 option added, but not without. Even if I had included
> kdelibs in the world file, it should have been re-emerged through the
> previous command, right? I didn't see through the additional magic done
> by -1!

It is not the -1 that is added but the --newuse that is left.

emerge -D --newuse kdelibs means that portage should only rebuild
kdelibs if there are changed USE-Flags.
As there aren't any, emerge has nothing to do and says so.

Sebastian

Old 08-28-2008, 01:41 PM
Suman Chakrabarty

*
~ # emerge -D --newuse kdelibs

Calculating dependencies... done!

>>> Auto-cleaning packages...

>>> No outdated packages were found on your system.

But, "emerge -1v kdelibs" worked as suggested. I don't understand why
it works with -1 option added, but not without. Even if I had included
kdelibs in the world file, it should have been re-emerged through the
previous command, right? I didn't see through the additional magic done
by -1!

Regards,

Suman Chakrabarty.

dangerous content by
MailScanner, and is

believed to be clean.

Old 08-28-2008, 01:45 PM
Dirk Heinrichs

Am Donnerstag, 28. August 2008 15:41:24 schrieb ext Sebastian Beßler:

> It is not the -1 that is added but the --newuse that is left.

Once more: it's _not_ because of --newuse, but because of -D!

Bye...

Dirk

Old 08-28-2008, 01:50 PM
Xav'

On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 15:38:47 +0200, Dirk Heinrichs
<dirk.heinrichs.ext@nsn.com> wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 28. August 2008 15:36:54 schrieb ext Xav:
>
>> This has not worked not because of the -1, but because you remove
> --newuse
>
> No, it was because he removed -D (deep update), to force a
> (re-)installation.

No... The -D doesn't stand for deep update, but for deep, so with deep,
portage will also check dependencies of the package. Try to do emerge -D
kdelibs and you will see that portage reemerge kdelibs. To have a deep
update, the right command is emerge -Du/emerge --deep --update... In his
case, with emerge --newuse --deep, portage has checked that no use flags
has changed for kdelibs and all of his dependencies

> Bye...

Bye

--
Xavier

Old 08-28-2008, 02:01 PM
Dirk Heinrichs

Am Donnerstag, 28. August 2008 15:50:47 schrieb ext Xav:

> No... The -D doesn't stand for deep update, but for deep, so with deep,
> portage will also check dependencies of the package. Try to do emerge -D
> kdelibs and you will see that portage reemerge kdelibs. To have a deep
> update, the right command is emerge -Du/emerge --deep --update... In his
> case, with emerge --newuse --deep, portage has checked that no use flags
> has changed for kdelibs and all of his dependencies

Yes, you're right.

Bye...

Dirk