Old 08-27-2008, 04:28 AM
Dave Oxley

Default fdisk - expanding a partition beyond 2TB

All,

I've just added a fourth disk to my Raid 5 set increasing the capacity
from 1.5TB to 2.25TB. I have 4 partitions on this volume set; the fourth
of which is 1.49TB which is then further subdivided using lvm2. So using
fdisk I deleted partition 4 and recreated it from the same position
which expanded the partition to 1.99TB. I later realised that it should
have expanded to 2.24TB so I did some googling and found that you can't
create a partition >2TB with fdisk. I found a page that suggested using
GNU parted to create partitions of this size but it didn't mention
whether this would work to expand a partition.

So basically does anyone have any experience moving from an fdisk
partition table to a GNU parted partition table without losing
filesystems, data, etc?

Cheers,
Dave.

Old 08-27-2008, 07:18 PM
Jil Larner

Hi,

Dave Oxley a écrit :

So basically does anyone have any experience moving from an fdisk
partition table to a GNU parted partition table without losing
filesystems, data, etc?

A partition table is a partition table, whatever is the tool you use to
handle it. I didn't met your problem with size limitation but lost
partition table and changed partitions tables on drives. For this, i
used different tools, even proprietary ones, and never had conflict,
except with Vista special partition (that has a bigger size than the
actual disk size xD )

My two cents,
Jil.

Old 08-28-2008, 08:05 AM