Old 08-26-2008, 08:34 AM
Andrew Gaydenko

Default stretching AVI in time

Hi!

I have a very short (probably one or few frames) avi file (display geometry
test image). How to stretch the avi in time to long period (say, minutes)?
Software? Steps?

Old 08-26-2008, 02:20 PM
Willie Wong

On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 12:34:00PM +0400, Penguin Lover Andrew Gaydenko squawked:
> I have a very short (probably one or few frames) avi file (display geometry
> test image). How to stretch the avi in time to long period (say, minutes)?
> Software? Steps?

If you worry just about display, look at the -fps option in mplayer,
it lets you dictate the frame rate at which the movie is played.
(Though on this box here it doesn't let you stretch to ftime more than
1 sec....)

A possibly better way is to (assuming your video file has really few
frames)

mplayer -vo jpeg <videofile>

beware that if your video file has more than a few seconds, the number
of frames can really pile up and give you a whole bunch of files.

Then you can reencode the avi thus

mencoder "mf://000*jpg" -mf fps=<insert frame rate> -o <outputfile>.avi -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4

(you can, of course, encode in the codec of your choosing). The files
000*jpg are the default filenames for the output of the first command.
If you specified output file names in the first command, you need to
change the input filenames for the second. For fps insert a number
corresponding to what you want: for example, say you have 5 frames and
want to stretch it to 2 minutes, then set

fps=5/120

(number of frames divided by the amount of total run time).

Hope this helps,

Marten: That's like rule number one of dating-if the lady tells you
she wants to wait, you wait. Even if it means you get blueballed
so hard your nuts travel into the future due to relativistic effects.
Dora: Ah, the Hawking Libido Dilation Effect. Bane of frustrated young
men and physicists alike.
Sortir en Pantoufles: up 627 days, 12:37

Old 08-26-2008, 02:36 PM
Andrew Gaydenko

======= On Tuesday 26 August 2008, Willie Wong wrote: =======
> On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 12:34:00PM +0400, Penguin Lover Andrew Gaydenko
squawked:
> > I have a very short (probably one or few frames) avi file (display
> > geometry test image). How to stretch the avi in time to long period
> > (say, minutes)? Software? Steps?
>
> If you worry just about display, look at the -fps option in mplayer,
> it lets you dictate the frame rate at which the movie is played.
> (Though on this box here it doesn't let you stretch to ftime more than
> 1 sec....)
>
> A possibly better way is to (assuming your video file has really few
> frames)
>
> mplayer -vo jpeg <videofile>
>
> beware that if your video file has more than a few seconds, the number
> of frames can really pile up and give you a whole bunch of files.

Done, there was a single frame.

> Then you can reencode the avi thus
>
> mencoder "mf://000*jpg" -mf fps=<insert frame rate> -o <outputfile>.avi
> -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4
>
> (you can, of course, encode in the codec of your choosing). The files
> 000*jpg are the default filenames for the output of the first command.
> If you specified output file names in the first command, you need to
> change the input filenames for the second. For fps insert a number
> corresponding to what you want: for example, say you have 5 frames and
> want to stretch it to 2 minutes, then set
>
> fps=5/120
>
> (number of frames divided by the amount of total run time).
>
> Hope this helps,

Have got:

videocodec: libavcodec (720x576 fourcc=34504d46 [FMP4])
[mpeg4 @ 0x11004b0]bitrate tolerance too small for bitrate

Sorry, my initial message wasn't clear: the final goal is to prepare DVD to
adjust a geometry of a TV with CRT.

P.S. Oh, this mencoder magic... :-)

Old 08-27-2008, 06:50 AM
Florian Philipp

Andrew Gaydenko schrieb:
Sorry, my initial message wasn't clear: the final goal is to prepare DVD to
adjust a geometry of a TV with CRT.

P.S. Oh, this mencoder magic... :-)

Most DVD-players nowadays can handle photo-CDs/DVDs. Have you tried to
just put the JPEG on a CD?