Old 12-07-2007, 07:33 PM
Daniel Lehle

Default psmouse.c lost sync at byte 1

Hello,

on my laptop the touchpad hangs sometimes, so I have to release my
finger and touch it again to move the mouse again.

Output of dmesg:

psmouse.c: TouchPad at isa0060/serio4/input0 lost sync at byte 1
psmouse.c: TouchPad at isa0060/serio4/input0 lost sync at byte 1
psmouse.c: TouchPad at isa0060/serio4/input0 lost sync at byte 1
psmouse.c: TouchPad at isa0060/serio4/input0 lost sync at byte 1
psmouse.c: TouchPad at isa0060/serio4/input0 lost sync at byte 1
psmouse.c: issuing reconnect request
psmouse.c: TouchPad at isa0060/serio4/input0 lost sync at byte 1
psmouse.c: TouchPad at isa0060/serio4/input0 lost sync at byte 1
psmouse.c: TouchPad at isa0060/serio4/input0 lost sync at byte 1
psmouse.c: TouchPad at isa0060/serio4/input0 lost sync at byte 1
psmouse.c: TouchPad at isa0060/serio4/input0 lost sync at byte 1
psmouse.c: issuing reconnect request

Does someone know whats going wrong?

Regards,

Daniel Lehle

Old 12-07-2007, 07:52 PM
Billy Holmes

Quoting Daniel Lehle <ich@dlehle.de>:

on my laptop the touchpad hangs sometimes, so I have to release my
finger and touch it again to move the mouse again.
psmouse.c: TouchPad at isa0060/serio4/input0 lost sync at byte 1

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-source-2.6.20/+bug/96596
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-source-2.6.20/+bug/96596/comments/15

Giving a kernel parmeter did it: "i8042.nomux=1"

http://gentoo-wiki.com/HARDWARE_Maxdata_Pro_7000_DX#Synaptics_Touchpad

Old 12-07-2007, 08:30 PM
Daniel Lehle

Thanks Billy! The errors are gone now and the touchpad works fine

But what does this parameter do exactly?

Regards,
Daniel Lehle

Old 12-07-2007, 08:51 PM
Billy Holmes

Quoting Daniel Lehle <ich@dlehle.de>:

But what does this parameter do exactly?
"i8042.nomux=1"

not exactly sure

But I'd imagine it's your intel chipset, and a driver issue in the
kernel that's expecting a newer intel chipset and thus attempting to
use a newer feature (that it expects in your older chipset). That
option probably disables the kernel driver from attempting to use that
feature.