Old 12-07-2007, 06:45 PM
Roger Mason

Default cups problem

Hello,

I'm trying to set up a printer using CUPS. I have worked my way
through the printing guide but cannot get a test page to print from
the printers tab of the cups configuration page. I turned up the
logging level to debug2 and am seeing this in the logs:

d [07/Dec/2007:16:00:26 -03-30] cupsdIsAuthorized: auth=AUTH_DENY...
d [07/Dec/2007:16:00:26 -03-30] cupsdReadClient: Unauthorized request for /ipp/...

One thing I noticed in the setup that is different from the guide is
that the option to listen to "Parallel Port #1" is never offered
although it should be the most appropriate option given that the
printer is on lpt1. I have tried both the ipp and lpd devices to no
avail.

dmesg | grep -i print returns:
parport0: Printer, Hewlett-Packard HP LaserJet 5L

This is the emerge information:

[ebuild R ] net-print/cups-1.2.12-r2 USE="X dbus jpeg ldap pam
png ppds ssl tiff -nls -php -samba -slp"

Thanks for any help.

Roger

Old 12-07-2007, 06:57 PM
Billy Holmes

Quoting Roger Mason <rmason@esd.mun.ca>:

dmesg | grep -i print returns:
parport0: Printer, Hewlett-Packard HP LaserJet 5L

see if this helps

http://www.murrayc.com/blog/permalink/2005/12/24/wheres-my-parport0/

Old 12-07-2007, 07:42 PM
Roger Mason

Hello Billy,

Billy Holmes <billy@gonoph.net> writes:

> see if this helps
>
> http://www.murrayc.com/blog/permalink/2005/12/24/wheres-my-parport0/

Bingo!.

For the record, I built ppdev and lp as modules, modprobe'd them and
now everything works.

Thanks very much.

Roger

Old 12-07-2007, 07:53 PM
Billy Holmes

Quoting Roger Mason <rmason@esd.mun.ca>:

http://www.murrayc.com/blog/permalink/2005/12/24/wheres-my-parport0/

Bingo!.

cool. I wasn't sure if it would help, as it was a stab in the dark.
Glad you got it working!

Old 12-07-2007, 08:56 PM
Randy Barlow

Roger Mason wrote:
> I have tried both the ipp and lpd devices to no
> avail.

Just FYI, IPP is the Internet Printing Protocol and it is used to print
to a device on another machine, so that's why it didn't work for you here

--
Randy Barlow
http://electronsweatshop.com

Old 12-08-2007, 11:23 AM
Roger Mason

Hello Randy,

Randy Barlow <randy@electronsweatshop.com> writes:

> Roger Mason wrote:
>> I have tried both the ipp and lpd devices to no
>> avail.
>
> Just FYI, IPP is the Internet Printing Protocol and it is used to print
> to a device on another machine, so that's why it didn't work for you here

Yes, I finally tumbled to that (duh!). What confused me was that I
had set up a remote printer using IPP at some point in the past.

Cheers,
Roger

Old 12-11-2007, 10:11 PM
david walcroft

I can restart cups by "service cups restart ( stopped) (restart)"
But on Thuderbird and Firefox they both lock up after clicking
the print button,I cannot start localhost to get to cups admin.

Thanks david

Old 12-12-2007, 01:56 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Wed, 2007-12-12 at 09:11 +1000, david walcroft wrote:
> I can restart cups by "service cups restart ( stopped) (restart)"
> But on Thuderbird and Firefox they both lock up after clicking
> the print button,I cannot start localhost to get to cups admin.
>
> Thanks david

Reversing what I have said before now you can get the equivalent of
localhost:631 by running system-config-printer.
or use lpoptions and lpadmin.

Old 12-12-2007, 09:38 PM
david walcroft

Aaron Konstam wrote:

On Wed, 2007-12-12 at 09:11 +1000, david walcroft wrote:

I can restart cups by "service cups restart ( stopped) (restart)"
But on Thuderbird and Firefox they both lock up after clicking
the print button,I cannot start localhost to get to cups admin.

Thanks david

Reversing what I have said before now you can get the equivalent of
localhost:631 by running system-config-printer.
or use lpoptions and lpadmin.
I'll burn my books. -- Christopher Marlowe

Pardon my ignorance but I don't know how to use these commands.

david

Old 12-12-2007, 10:08 PM
david walcroft

david walcroft wrote:

Aaron Konstam wrote:

On Wed, 2007-12-12 at 09:11 +1000, david walcroft wrote:

I can restart cups by "service cups restart ( stopped) (restart)"
But on Thuderbird and Firefox they both lock up after clicking
the print button,I cannot start localhost to get to cups admin.

Thanks david

Reversing what I have said before now you can get the equivalent of
localhost:631 by running system-config-printer.
or use lpoptions and lpadmin.
I'll burn my books. -- Christopher Marlowe

Pardon my ignorance but I don't know how to use these commands.

david

I've done a "rpm -e --nodeps cups" then "yum install cups" and got to
the point where
thunderbird and firefox send a print request to my HP PSC 2110 but is
not printed out.

I still cannot open "localhost 631" 'Unable to connect'.

david