Old 12-15-2007, 03:48 AM
david walcroft

Default Cups problem

Craig White wrote:

On Sat, 2007-12-15 at 12:21 +1000, david walcroft wrote:

Craig White wrote:

On Sat, 2007-12-15 at 10:05 +1000, david walcroft wrote:

Craig White wrote:

On Sat, 2007-12-15 at 09:28 +1000, david walcroft wrote:

I forgot to answer did I use --nodeps,no I didn't mainly because I did
know it was necessary.

----
It shouldn't ever be necessary to use --nodeps

That's how you broke things in the first place.

If cups service is started (and didn't quit), you should be able to
use...

Administration => Printing

and set up your printer now

make sure it can print a test page from that configuration tool before
you try printing with any other program

Craig

I don't have an 'Administration => Printing' in KDE,I'm into
'localhost:631'

----
yum install system-config-printer
----

but am having problems now with password
and username,cups won't accept anything.

----
root and root's password

Craig

[root@reddwarf ~]# sudo rpm -qa | grep printer
system-config-printer-libs-0.7.74.4-3.fc8.i386
[root@reddwarf ~]#

yum install system-config-printer

No package system-config-printer available.
Nothing to do.

----
can't possibly be true...

# rpm -qa|grep system-config-printer
system-config-printer-0.7.74.4-3.fc8
system-config-printer-libs-0.7.74.4-3.fc8

try...

yum clean all
yum install system-config-printer
----

Root and Roots password do no work.

----
I presume this in reference to logging into cups via firefox and
connecting to

http://localhost:631

root and root's password always work

Craig

[david@reddwarf ~]$ sudo yum clean all
Cleaning up Everything
[david@reddwarf ~]$ sudo yum install system-config-printer
YumRepo Warning: not using ftp, http[s], or file for repos, skipping -
baseurl=ftp://reddwarf:4skin46@premium.planetmirror.com/pub/fedora/linux/updates/8/i386/
YumRepo Warning: not using ftp, http[s], or file for repos, skipping -
failovermethod=priority
http://mirror.optus.net/fedora/core/updates/8/i386/repodata/repomd.xml:
[Errno 14] HTTP Error 404: Not Found

Trying other mirror.
updates-released 26 kB 00:00
http://planetmirror.com/pub/fedora/linux/updates/8/i386/repodata/repomd.xml:
[Errno -1] Error importing repomd.xml for updates-released: Damaged
repomd.xml file

Trying other mirror.
updates-released 100% |=========================| 2.3 kB 00:00
primary.sqlite.bz2 100% |=========================| 914 kB 00:01
YumRepo Warning: not using ftp, http[s], or file for repos, skipping -
mirrorlist=http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/mirrorlist?repo=fedora-8&arch=i386

base 100% |=========================| 4.3 kB 00:00
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/releases/8/Everything/i386/os/Fedora/repodata/repomd.xml:
[Errno -1] Error importing repomd.xml for base: Damaged repomd.xml file

Trying other mirror.
base 100% |=========================| 2.3 kB 00:00
primary.sqlite.bz2 100% |=========================| 914 kB 00:01
Excluding Packages in global exclude list
Finished
Setting up Install Process
Parsing package install arguments
No package system-config-printer available.
Nothing to do
[david@reddwarf ~]$ su -
Password:
[root@reddwarf ~]# rpm -qa|grep system-config-printer
system-config-printer-libs-0.7.74.4-3.fc8.i386
[root@reddwarf ~]#

I still cannot get root acess into cups:631 via firefox.

david

Old 12-15-2007, 03:50 AM
david walcroft

Kevin J. Cummings wrote:

david walcroft wrote:

Craig White wrote:

[...]

system-config-printer-0.7.74.4-3.fc8.i386
system-config-printer-libs-0.7.74.4-3.fc8.i386

Root and Roots password do no work.

works for me.

david

Old 12-15-2007, 03:59 AM
Craig White

On Sat, 2007-12-15 at 14:48 +1000, david walcroft wrote:
> Craig White wrote:

> >> [root@reddwarf ~]# sudo rpm -qa | grep printer
> >> system-config-printer-libs-0.7.74.4-3.fc8.i386
> >> [root@reddwarf ~]#
> >>

> >> yum install system-config-printer
> >>
> >> No package system-config-printer available.
> >> Nothing to do.
> >>
> > ----
> > can't possibly be true...
> >
> > # rpm -qa|grep system-config-printer
> > system-config-printer-0.7.74.4-3.fc8
> > system-config-printer-libs-0.7.74.4-3.fc8
> >
> > try...
> >
> > yum clean all
> > yum install system-config-printer
> > ----
> >
> >> Root and Roots password do no work.
> >>
> > ----
> > I presume this in reference to logging into cups via firefox and
> > connecting to
> >
> > http://localhost:631
> >
> > root and root's password always work
> >
> > Craig
> >

> [david@reddwarf ~]$ sudo yum clean all
> Cleaning up Everything
> [david@reddwarf ~]$ sudo yum install system-config-printer
> YumRepo Warning: not using ftp, http[s], or file for repos, skipping -
> baseurl=ftp://reddwarf:4skin46@premium.planetmirror.com/pub/fedora/linux/updates/8/i386/
> YumRepo Warning: not using ftp, http[s], or file for repos, skipping -
> failovermethod=priority
> http://mirror.optus.net/fedora/core/updates/8/i386/repodata/repomd.xml:
> [Errno 14] HTTP Error 404: Not Found
> Trying other mirror.
> updates-released 26 kB 00:00
> http://planetmirror.com/pub/fedora/linux/updates/8/i386/repodata/repomd.xml:
> [Errno -1] Error importing repomd.xml for updates-released: Damaged
> repomd.xml file
> Trying other mirror.
> updates-released 100% |=========================| 2.3 kB 00:00
> primary.sqlite.bz2 100% |=========================| 914 kB 00:01
> YumRepo Warning: not using ftp, http[s], or file for repos, skipping -
> mirrorlist=http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/mirrorlist?repo=fedora-8&arch=i386
> base 100% |=========================| 4.3 kB 00:00
> http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/releases/8/Everything/i386/os/Fedora/repodata/repomd.xml:
> [Errno -1] Error importing repomd.xml for base: Damaged repomd.xml file
> Trying other mirror.
> base 100% |=========================| 2.3 kB 00:00
> primary.sqlite.bz2 100% |=========================| 914 kB 00:01
> Excluding Packages in global exclude list
> Finished
> Setting up Install Process
> Parsing package install arguments
> No package system-config-printer available.
> Nothing to do
> [david@reddwarf ~]$ su -
> Password:
> [root@reddwarf ~]# rpm -qa|grep system-config-printer
> system-config-printer-libs-0.7.74.4-3.fc8.i386
> [root@reddwarf ~]#
----
what packages are you excluding in your 'global exclude list' that is
mentioned above?

easy way to find out...
grep exclude /etc/yum.repos.d/*
----
> I still cannot get root acess into cups:631 via firefox.

----
you never will...

it's http://localhost:631

Craig

Old 12-15-2007, 04:45 AM
"Kevin J. Cummings"

david walcroft wrote:
> Craig White wrote:

>>> [root@reddwarf ~]# sudo rpm -qa | grep printer
>>> system-config-printer-libs-0.7.74.4-3.fc8.i386
>>> [root@reddwarf ~]#
>>>

>>> yum install system-config-printer
>>>
>>> No package system-config-printer available.
>>> Nothing to do.
>>>
>> ----
>> can't possibly be true...
>>
>> # rpm -qa|grep system-config-printer
>> system-config-printer-0.7.74.4-3.fc8
>> system-config-printer-libs-0.7.74.4-3.fc8
>>
>> try...
>>
>> yum clean all
>> yum install system-config-printer
>> ----
>>
>>> Root and Roots password do no work.
>>>
>> ----
>> I presume this in reference to logging into cups via firefox and
>> connecting to
>>
>> http://localhost:631
>>
>> root and root's password always work
>>
>> Craig
>>

> [david@reddwarf ~]$ sudo yum clean all
> Cleaning up Everything
> [david@reddwarf ~]$ sudo yum install system-config-printer
> YumRepo Warning: not using ftp, http[s], or file for repos, skipping -
> baseurl=ftp://reddwarf:4skin46@premium.planetmirror.com/pub/fedora/linux/updates/8/i386/
>
> YumRepo Warning: not using ftp, http[s], or file for repos, skipping -
> failovermethod=priority
> http://mirror.optus.net/fedora/core/updates/8/i386/repodata/repomd.xml:
> [Errno 14] HTTP Error 404: Not Found
> Trying other mirror.
> updates-released 26 kB
> 00:00
> http://planetmirror.com/pub/fedora/linux/updates/8/i386/repodata/repomd.xml:
> [Errno -1] Error importing repomd.xml for updates-released: Damaged
> repomd.xml file
> Trying other mirror.
> updates-released 100% |=========================| 2.3 kB 00:00
> primary.sqlite.bz2 100% |=========================| 914 kB 00:01
> YumRepo Warning: not using ftp, http[s], or file for repos, skipping -
> mirrorlist=http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/mirrorlist?repo=fedora-8&arch=i386
>
> base 100% |=========================| 4.3 kB 00:00
> http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/releases/8/Everything/i386/os/Fedora/repodata/repomd.xml:
> [Errno -1] Error importing repomd.xml for base: Damaged repomd.xml file
> Trying other mirror.
> base 100% |=========================| 2.3 kB 00:00
> primary.sqlite.bz2 100% |=========================| 914 kB 00:01
> Excluding Packages in global exclude list
> Finished
> Setting up Install Process
> Parsing package install arguments
> No package system-config-printer available.

This is a problem. If you cannot find it, there is something wrong with
your fedora repo configuration. In fact, it hasn't been called "base"
for a while now. It should be called "fedora".

When I do updates, yum finds the following:

> atrpms 100% |=========================| 951 B 00:00
> livna 100% |=========================| 2.1 kB 00:00
> google 100% |=========================| 951 B 00:00
> macromedia 100% |=========================| 1.9 kB 00:00
> dribble 100% |=========================| 951 B 00:00
> adobe-linux-i386 100% |=========================| 951 B 00:00
> updates 100% |=========================| 2.3 kB 00:00
> freshrpms 100% |=========================| 2.1 kB 00:00
> fedora 100% |=========================| 2.1 kB 00:00

yes, I have a few "extra" repositories configured. But note the
"names". Why are yours different?

system-config-printer-0.7.74.4-3.fc8 exists on the original installation
media. I can find it just by going to the repositories with my web browser.

Here is a URL to it (if you can't find it on your local media):

http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/releases/8/Everything/i386/os/Packages/system-config-printer-0.7.74.4-3.fc8.i386.rpm

Download it using your favorite WWW browser or wget.
(adjust the i386 part to match your architecture requirements if necessary)

install it using rpm. In fact, I think you can give the URL directly to
rpm and it will download it and install it for you (assuming it needs no
other dependencies).

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome@rcn.com

Old 12-15-2007, 08:56 AM
Tim

On Fri, 2007-12-14 at 16:21 -0700, Craig White wrote:
> 127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
> 192.168.0.1 reddwarf localhost.localdomain

There's a certain duplication above that *might* be a problem. It would
expected that localhost.localdomain refers to 127.0.0.1 and nothing
else. Whether having it refer to something else actually causes a
problem, I don't know.

important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.

Old 12-15-2007, 11:58 AM
Craig White

On Sat, 2007-12-15 at 00:45 -0500, Kevin J. Cummings wrote:

david walcroft wrote:
> [david@reddwarf ~]$ sudo yum clean all
> Cleaning up Everything
> [david@reddwarf ~]$ sudo yum install system-config-printer
> YumRepo Warning: not using ftp, http[s], or file for repos, skipping -
> baseurl=ftp://reddwarf:4skin46@premium.planetmirror.com/pub/fedora/linux/updates/8/i386/
>
> YumRepo Warning: not using ftp, http[s], or file for repos, skipping -
> failovermethod=priority
> http://mirror.optus.net/fedora/core/updates/8/i386/repodata/repomd.xml:
> [Errno 14] HTTP Error 404: Not Found
> Trying other mirror.
> updates-released 26 kB
> 00:00
> http://planetmirror.com/pub/fedora/linux/updates/8/i386/repodata/repomd.xml:
> [Errno -1] Error importing repomd.xml for updates-released: Damaged
> repomd.xml file
> Trying other mirror.
> updates-released 100% |=========================| 2.3 kB 00:00
> primary.sqlite.bz2 100% |=========================| 914 kB 00:01
> YumRepo Warning: not using ftp, http[s], or file for repos, skipping -
> mirrorlist=http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/mirrorlist?repo=fedora-8&arch=i386
>
> base 100% |=========================| 4.3 kB 00:00
> http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/releases/8/Everything/i386/os/Fedora/repodata/repomd.xml:
> [Errno -1] Error importing repomd.xml for base: Damaged repomd.xml file
> Trying other mirror.
> base 100% |=========================| 2.3 kB 00:00
> primary.sqlite.bz2 100% |=========================| 914 kB 00:01
> Excluding Packages in global exclude list
> Finished
> Setting up Install Process
> Parsing package install arguments
> No package system-config-printer available.

This is a problem. If you cannot find it, there is something wrong with
your fedora repo configuration. In fact, it hasn't been called "base"
for a while now. It should be called "fedora".

----

good catch...his URL for 'updates-released' (which should be fedora) points to an ftp with a login and password and it doesn't work.

another URL for updates uses 'core' which clearly won't work.

his URL for 'base' is clearly from an old Fedora because the folder is now called 'Packages' and not 'Fedora'

OK David...here's what you do. (you can probably just paste this all into a terminal)

su - # get root

cd /etc/yum.repos.d/

mkdir old-repos

mv fedora* old-repos

rpm -ivh --replacepkgs

http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/releases/8/Everything/i386/os/Packages/fedora-release-8-3.noarch.rpm

yum update

yum install system-config-printer

This should get your repos back in order (whatever you did to the configuration I don't know)

Craig

Old 12-15-2007, 01:44 PM
Aaron Konstam

> [...]
> http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/releases/8/Everything/i386/os/Fedora/repodata/repomd.xml:
> [Errno -1] Error importing repomd.xml for base: Damaged repomd.xml file
> Trying other mirror.
> base 100% |=========================| 2.3 kB 00:00
> primary.sqlite.bz2 100% |=========================| 914 kB 00:01
> Excluding Packages in global exclude list
> Finished
> Setting up Install Process
> Parsing package install arguments
> No package system-config-printer available.
> Nothing to do
> [david@reddwarf ~]$ su -
> Password:
> [root@reddwarf ~]# rpm -qa|grep system-config-printer
> system-config-printer-libs-0.7.74.4-3.fc8.i386
> [root@reddwarf ~]#
>
> I still cannot get root acess into cups:631 via firefox.

Getting access to localhost:631 has nothing to do with having
system-config-printer install led. There is something wrong with you
repos in that you can't install system-config-printer.

Is there a localhost defined in your /etc/hosts file and is cupsd
running is what is essential. Previously you did not have cupsd running.
ps aux |grep cupsd. Does it show cupsd running. We are discussing two
different ways to install printers as if they are the same. They are
not.

Old 12-15-2007, 02:12 PM
Timothy Murphy

david walcroft wrote:

> I only have a "Administration' => 'Printing' in "KDE --> settings -->
> printers "
> and it only sets up a fax system,if I go to "kDE control--> center -->
> peripherals--> printers"
> wont work because it cannot access "localhost:631.
> I hope this answer helps you as I find it difficult to follow all the
> postings.

It's amazing to me that this apparently endless thread
seems to be entirely due to the fact that
YOU DO NOT HAVE cupsd RUNNING.

If you did, you would see the CUPS web-page
if you gave entered http://localhost:631 in your browser.

Old 12-15-2007, 10:35 PM
david walcroft

Craig White wrote:

[...]

exclude=kde* gimp-libs libicu lm_sensors

david

Old 12-15-2007, 10:48 PM
david walcroft

Kevin J. Cummings wrote:

Craig White wrote:

[...]

My yum download

Installed: pirut.noarch 0:1.3.28-1.fc8
Complete!

[david@reddwarf ~]$ sudo rpm -Uvh
rpm/system-config-printer-0.7.74.4-3.fc8.i386.rpm

error: Failed dependencies:
pirut is needed by system-config-printer-0.7.74.4-3.fc8.i386
[david@reddwarf ~]$

My repo's are in 'local-updates local-extras local-base,
but yum does updates with no problem

[david@reddwarf ~]$ ls /etc/yum.repos.d/
atrpms-bleeding.repo fedora-extras-devel.repo
jpackage-fedora.repo local-extra-devel
atrpms.repo Fedora-install-media.repo
jpackage-generic.repo local-extras
atrpms-stable.repo fedora.repo
jpackage.repo local-updates
atrpms-testing.repo fedora.repo.rpmnew
kde-redhat.repo local-updates-testing
city-fan.org.repo fedora-updates.repo
kde-redhat-stable-all.repo Macromedia
crontab fedora-updates.repo.rpmnew
kde-redhat-stable.repo mirrors-rpmforge
dag.repo fedora-updates-testing.repo
livna-devel.repo newrpms.repo
dries.repo fedora-updates-testing.repo.rpmnew
livna-devel.repo.rpmorig nrpms.repo
fedora-core.repo.rpmnew fedora.us-extras
livna.repo nr.repo
fedora-core.repo.rpmsave freshrpms.repo
livna.repo.rpmorig rpmforge.repo
fedora-development.repo freshrpms.repo.rpmnew
livna.repo.rpmsave yjl.repo
fedora-devel.repo gstreamer-deps.repo
livna-testing.repo

fedora-extra-devel.repo gstreamer.repo local-base
fedora-extra.repo home.repo local-devel

[david@reddwarf ~]$ I know it needs a big clean up.

david