FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 12-14-2007, 10:22 PM
david walcroft
 
Default Cups problem

Craig White wrote:

On Sat, 2007-12-15 at 09:01 +1000, david walcroft wrote:


now back to my earlier thread...

OK, you need to register and then start cups...

/sbin/chkconfig cups on
/sbin/service cups start

Then you will have to see if printer is still set up...probably


easiest


to just use 'Administration' => 'Printing'

set up printer, apply changes, click 'Print Test Page'

until you get a test page to print, don't bother with any other


program.


Fix the settings

Craig




----
I'm sort of done with trying to help when you won't do what I


suggest,


there's little point of continuing on

Craig



I only have a "Administration' => 'Printing' in "KDE --> settings -->
printers "

and it only sets up a fax system,if I go to "kDE control--> center
-->
peripherals--> printers"

wont work because it cannot access "localhost:631.
I hope this answer helps you as I find it difficult to follow all the
postings.


----
I have clipped out all non-relevant portions...

did you install cups using --nodeps?

did you
/sbin/chkconfig cups on
/sbin/service cups start
? ? ?

Until you verify those three things (one of them is going to come up
with the solution), your ability to administer printers isn't there.

Craig



[david@reddwarf ~]$ sudo chkconfig cups on
[david@reddwarf ~]$ sudo service cups start
Starting cups: [ OK ]
[david@reddwarf ~]$


david

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 12-14-2007, 10:28 PM
david walcroft
 
Default Cups problem

Craig White wrote:

On Sat, 2007-12-15 at 09:01 +1000, david walcroft wrote:


now back to my earlier thread...

OK, you need to register and then start cups...

/sbin/chkconfig cups on
/sbin/service cups start

Then you will have to see if printer is still set up...probably


easiest


to just use 'Administration' => 'Printing'

set up printer, apply changes, click 'Print Test Page'

until you get a test page to print, don't bother with any other


program.


Fix the settings

Craig




----
I'm sort of done with trying to help when you won't do what I


suggest,


there's little point of continuing on

Craig



I only have a "Administration' => 'Printing' in "KDE --> settings -->
printers "

and it only sets up a fax system,if I go to "kDE control--> center
-->
peripherals--> printers"

wont work because it cannot access "localhost:631.
I hope this answer helps you as I find it difficult to follow all the
postings.


----
I have clipped out all non-relevant portions...

did you install cups using --nodeps?

did you
/sbin/chkconfig cups on
/sbin/service cups start
? ? ?

Until you verify those three things (one of them is going to come up
with the solution), your ability to administer printers isn't there.

Craig



I forgot to answer did I use --nodeps,no I didn't mainly because I did
know it was necessary.

david

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 12-14-2007, 10:32 PM
Craig White
 
Default Cups problem

On Sat, 2007-12-15 at 09:28 +1000, david walcroft wrote:

> >
> I forgot to answer did I use --nodeps,no I didn't mainly because I did
> know it was necessary.
----
It shouldn't ever be necessary to use --nodeps

That's how you broke things in the first place.

If cups service is started (and didn't quit), you should be able to
use...

Administration => Printing

and set up your printer now

make sure it can print a test page from that configuration tool before
you try printing with any other program

Craig

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 12-14-2007, 10:57 PM
david walcroft
 
Default Cups problem

Craig White wrote:

On Sat, 2007-12-15 at 09:12 +1000, david walcroft wrote:


Aaron Konstam wrote:


On Fri, 2007-12-14 at 09:18 +1000, david walcroft wrote:



Aaron Konstam wrote:






I've done a "rpm -e --nodeps cups" then "yum install cups" and got to
the point where
thunderbird and firefox send a print request to my HP PSC 2110 but is
not printed out.

I still cannot open "localhost 631" 'Unable to connect'.





----
how about in firefox...

http://localhost:631

?

Craig






comes up with "Unable to connect"

david




It seems to me there are only two possibilities:
1. cupsd is not running. What does : ps aux -columns 256 |grep cupsd
return/
2. Your /etc/hosts file does not define a localhost. Use the ip number
of ypur machine rather than localhost.
--
================================================== =====================
Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known. -- Carl Sagan
================================================== =====================
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam@sbcglobal.net





[root@reddwarf ~]# ps aux -columns 256 |grep cupsd



I am not doing well with things like spellins and such.
It is --columns



Could you give me an example of the /etc/hosts/ file please



hosts file:
# Do not remove the following line, or various programs
# that require network functionality will fail.
127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
192.168.1.100 vulcan vulcan.gateway.2wire.net
192.168.1.101 saturn saturn.gateway.2wire.net
192.168.1.65 cyrus cyrus.gateway.2wire.net





Would this be correct: 192.168.0.1 reddwarf localhost.localdomain


----
no - should be more like (note the first 2 lines)...

# Do not remove the following line, or various programs
# that require network functionality will fail.
127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
192.168.0.1 reddwarf localhost.localdomain

Craig



Thanks for that Craig,now the good news,i'm into 'localhost:631' then
set up the printer then I'm asked for user name and password but its
not accepting anything i put to it.can I delete a cups password file
and start again.

david

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 12-14-2007, 11:05 PM
david walcroft
 
Default Cups problem

Craig White wrote:

On Sat, 2007-12-15 at 09:28 +1000, david walcroft wrote:





I forgot to answer did I use --nodeps,no I didn't mainly because I did
know it was necessary.


----
It shouldn't ever be necessary to use --nodeps

That's how you broke things in the first place.

If cups service is started (and didn't quit), you should be able to
use...

Administration => Printing

and set up your printer now

make sure it can print a test page from that configuration tool before
you try printing with any other program

Craig



I don't have an 'Administration => Printing' in KDE,I'm into
'localhost:631' but am having problems now with password
and username,cups won't accept anything.

david

david

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 12-14-2007, 11:05 PM
Craig White
 
Default Cups problem

On Sat, 2007-12-15 at 09:57 +1000, david walcroft wrote:
> Craig White wrote:
> > On Sat, 2007-12-15 at 09:12 +1000, david walcroft wrote:
> >
> >> Aaron Konstam wrote:
> >>
> >>> On Fri, 2007-12-14 at 09:18 +1000, david walcroft wrote:
> >>>
> >>>
> >>>> Aaron Konstam wrote:
> >>>>
> >>>>
> >>>>>>>>>
> >>>>>>>>>
> >>>>>>>>>
> >>>>>>>>>
> >>>>>>>> I've done a "rpm -e --nodeps cups" then "yum install cups" and got to
> >>>>>>>> the point where
> >>>>>>>> thunderbird and firefox send a print request to my HP PSC 2110 but is
> >>>>>>>> not printed out.
> >>>>>>>> I still cannot open "localhost 631" 'Unable to connect'.
> >>>>>>>>
> >>>>>>>>
> >>>>>>>>
> >>>>>>>>
> >>>>>>> ----
> >>>>>>> how about in firefox...
> >>>>>>>
> >>>>>>> http://localhost:631
> >>>>>>>
> >>>>>>> ?
> >>>>>>>
> >>>>>>> Craig
> >>>>>>>
> >>>>>>>
> >>>>>>>
> >>>>>>>
> >>>>>>>
> >>>>>> comes up with "Unable to connect"
> >>>>>>
> >>>>>> david
> >>>>>>
> >>>>>>
> >>>>>>
> >>>>> It seems to me there are only two possibilities:
> >>>>> 1. cupsd is not running. What does : ps aux -columns 256 |grep cupsd
> >>>>> return/
> >>>>> 2. Your /etc/hosts file does not define a localhost. Use the ip number
> >>>>> of ypur machine rather than localhost.
> >>>>> --
> >>>>> ================================================== =====================
> >>>>> Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known. -- Carl Sagan
> >>>>> ================================================== =====================
> >>>>> Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam@sbcglobal.net
> >>>>>
> >>>>>
> >>>>>
> >>>>>
> >>>> [root@reddwarf ~]# ps aux -columns 256 |grep cupsd
> >>>>
> >>>>
> >>> I am not doing well with things like spellins and such.
> >>> It is --columns
> >>>
> >>>
> >>>> Could you give me an example of the /etc/hosts/ file please
> >>>>
> >>>>
> >>> hosts file:
> >>> # Do not remove the following line, or various programs
> >>> # that require network functionality will fail.
> >>> 127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
> >>> 192.168.1.100 vulcan vulcan.gateway.2wire.net
> >>> 192.168.1.101 saturn saturn.gateway.2wire.net
> >>> 192.168.1.65 cyrus cyrus.gateway.2wire.net
> >>>
> >
> >
> >> Would this be correct: 192.168.0.1 reddwarf localhost.localdomain
> >>
> > ----
> > no - should be more like (note the first 2 lines)...
> >
> > # Do not remove the following line, or various programs
> > # that require network functionality will fail.
> > 127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
> > 192.168.0.1 reddwarf localhost.localdomain
> >
> > Craig
> >
> >
> Thanks for that Craig,now the good news,i'm into 'localhost:631' then
> set up the printer then I'm asked for user name and password but its
> not accepting anything i put to it.can I delete a cups password file
> and start again.
----
the only username/password combo that is gonna make cups happy is root
and root password

Craig

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 12-14-2007, 11:30 PM
Craig White
 
Default Cups problem

On Sat, 2007-12-15 at 10:05 +1000, david walcroft wrote:
> Craig White wrote:
> > On Sat, 2007-12-15 at 09:28 +1000, david walcroft wrote:
> >
> >
> >>>
> >>>
> >> I forgot to answer did I use --nodeps,no I didn't mainly because I did
> >> know it was necessary.
> >>
> > ----
> > It shouldn't ever be necessary to use --nodeps
> >
> > That's how you broke things in the first place.
> >
> > If cups service is started (and didn't quit), you should be able to
> > use...
> >
> > Administration => Printing
> >
> > and set up your printer now
> >
> > make sure it can print a test page from that configuration tool before
> > you try printing with any other program
> >
> > Craig
> >
> >
> I don't have an 'Administration => Printing' in KDE,I'm into
> 'localhost:631'
----
yum install system-config-printer
----
> but am having problems now with password
> and username,cups won't accept anything.
----
root and root's password

Craig

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 12-15-2007, 01:21 AM
david walcroft
 
Default Cups problem

Craig White wrote:

On Sat, 2007-12-15 at 10:05 +1000, david walcroft wrote:


Craig White wrote:


On Sat, 2007-12-15 at 09:28 +1000, david walcroft wrote:







I forgot to answer did I use --nodeps,no I didn't mainly because I did
know it was necessary.



----
It shouldn't ever be necessary to use --nodeps

That's how you broke things in the first place.

If cups service is started (and didn't quit), you should be able to
use...

Administration => Printing

and set up your printer now

make sure it can print a test page from that configuration tool before
you try printing with any other program

Craig




I don't have an 'Administration => Printing' in KDE,I'm into
'localhost:631'


----
yum install system-config-printer
----


but am having problems now with password
and username,cups won't accept anything.


----
root and root's password

Craig



[root@reddwarf ~]# sudo rpm -qa | grep printer
system-config-printer-libs-0.7.74.4-3.fc8.i386
[root@reddwarf ~]#


yum install system-config-printer

No package system-config-printer available.
Nothing to do.

Root and Roots password do no work.

david

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 12-15-2007, 01:51 AM
Craig White
 
Default Cups problem

On Sat, 2007-12-15 at 12:21 +1000, david walcroft wrote:
> Craig White wrote:
> > On Sat, 2007-12-15 at 10:05 +1000, david walcroft wrote:
> >
> >> Craig White wrote:
> >>
> >>> On Sat, 2007-12-15 at 09:28 +1000, david walcroft wrote:
> >>>
> >>>
> >>>
> >>>>>
> >>>>>
> >>>>>
> >>>> I forgot to answer did I use --nodeps,no I didn't mainly because I did
> >>>> know it was necessary.
> >>>>
> >>>>
> >>> ----
> >>> It shouldn't ever be necessary to use --nodeps
> >>>
> >>> That's how you broke things in the first place.
> >>>
> >>> If cups service is started (and didn't quit), you should be able to
> >>> use...
> >>>
> >>> Administration => Printing
> >>>
> >>> and set up your printer now
> >>>
> >>> make sure it can print a test page from that configuration tool before
> >>> you try printing with any other program
> >>>
> >>> Craig
> >>>
> >>>
> >>>
> >> I don't have an 'Administration => Printing' in KDE,I'm into
> >> 'localhost:631'
> >>
> > ----
> > yum install system-config-printer
> > ----
> >
> >> but am having problems now with password
> >> and username,cups won't accept anything.
> >>
> > ----
> > root and root's password
> >
> > Craig
> >
> >
> [root@reddwarf ~]# sudo rpm -qa | grep printer
> system-config-printer-libs-0.7.74.4-3.fc8.i386
> [root@reddwarf ~]#
>
>
> yum install system-config-printer
>
> No package system-config-printer available.
> Nothing to do.
----
can't possibly be true...

# rpm -qa|grep system-config-printer
system-config-printer-0.7.74.4-3.fc8
system-config-printer-libs-0.7.74.4-3.fc8

try...

yum clean all
yum install system-config-printer
----
>
> Root and Roots password do no work.
----
I presume this in reference to logging into cups via firefox and
connecting to

http://localhost:631

root and root's password always work

Craig

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 12-15-2007, 02:46 AM
"Kevin J. Cummings"
 
Default Cups problem

david walcroft wrote:
> Craig White wrote:
>> On Sat, 2007-12-15 at 10:05 +1000, david walcroft wrote:
>>
>>> Craig White wrote:
>>>
>>>> On Sat, 2007-12-15 at 09:28 +1000, david walcroft wrote:
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>> I forgot to answer did I use --nodeps,no I didn't mainly because I did
>>>>> know it was necessary.
>>>>>
>>>> ----
>>>> It shouldn't ever be necessary to use --nodeps
>>>>
>>>> That's how you broke things in the first place.
>>>>
>>>> If cups service is started (and didn't quit), you should be able to
>>>> use...
>>>>
>>>> Administration => Printing
>>>>
>>>> and set up your printer now
>>>>
>>>> make sure it can print a test page from that configuration tool before
>>>> you try printing with any other program
>>>>
>>>> Craig
>>>>
>>>>
>>> I don't have an 'Administration => Printing' in KDE,I'm into
>>> 'localhost:631'
>>>
>> ----
>> yum install system-config-printer
>> ----
>>
>>> but am having problems now with password
>>> and username,cups won't accept anything.
>>>
>> ----
>> root and root's password
>>
>> Craig
>>
>>
> [root@reddwarf ~]# sudo rpm -qa | grep printer
> system-config-printer-libs-0.7.74.4-3.fc8.i386
> [root@reddwarf ~]#
>
>
> yum install system-config-printer
>
> No package system-config-printer available.
> Nothing to do.

system-config-printer-0.7.74.4-3.fc8.i386
system-config-printer-libs-0.7.74.4-3.fc8.i386

> Root and Roots password do no work.

works for me.

> david

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome@rcn.com
cummings@kjchome.homeip.net
cummings@kjc386.framingham.ma.us
Registered Linux User #1232 (http://counter.li.org)

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 06:35 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org