Old 01-09-2008, 10:01 AM
"Alan E. Davis"

Default CUPS problem

No I haven't. I'll try one soon. This is a new 1GB DDR2 from
Kingston. It would be interesting if it fails. Note that w/ Ubuntu's
kernel, I have not encountered a balk at all in booting.

Alan

On Jan 9, 2008 3:51 PM, Randy Barlow <randy@electronsweatshop.com> wrote:
> Alan E. Davis wrote:
> > When attempting to boot to that kernel, or other gentoo kernels I have
> > compiled around (I do not use initrd/genkernel), almost every time
> > since the initial boot (that went ok), the machine locks up during
> > boot. It might take three or four attempts, but the machine locks up
> > somewhere during the process. After cupsd has been started, somewhere
> > around where syslog-ng is started, or hal, the machine locks. The
> > next boot it stops ate approximately the same place, or perhaps
> > further along. Finally, usually three or four boots later, it boots
> > and no further problems are experienced.
>
> Have you run a memory test?
>

> --
> Randy Barlow
> http://electronsweatshop.com

Alan Davis, Kagman High School, Saipan lngndvs@gmail.com

"It's never a matter of liking or disliking ..."
---Santa Ynez Chumash Medicine Man

Old 01-09-2008, 12:00 PM
Mick

On Tuesday 08 January 2008, Alan E. Davis wrote:

> Partly because I needed to print, and partly to rule out hardware
> issues, I booted ubuntu 7.10, and installed. No problem has been
> encountered over the past few days of using ubuntu. I can print, and
> no lockups are encountered (so far, KOW).

Clearly your Gentoo installation has some configuration issues, inc. your
compiled kernels. The initialisation scripts and misconfiguration of
services at boot/default runlevels could be another problem causing it to
choke.

> This is distressing. I enjoy not having to fiddle around, not
> spending so much time maintaining the system, and it's almost
> lightning quick to install packages!. Perhaps I'll use Ubuntu for a
> while---but I'd sure like to solve this problem. I just tried an
> incantation (kernel parameter) that had been recommended somewhere.
> (noapic nolapic acpi=off pci=noacpi), but still got the same behavior.
> Sometime soon I'll try to recompile the kernel or back down to
> 2.6.22. (I'd only compiled 2.6.23 for this new motherboard).

I suggest that you zcat your Ubuntu's .config file into your
Gentoo's /usr/src/linux and then run make oldconfig. That should give you
the same kernel configuration which you can thereafter peruse at leisure. At
the same time I would copy over the CUPS configuration file from Ubuntu to
Gentoo (but don't try that until you have proven that your new Gentoo kernel
is still having problems printing). You can even diff the two files to see
if there are any significant differences in settings.

HTH.
Mick

Old 01-09-2008, 12:09 PM
"Alan E. Davis"

Thank you for the suggestions. I wonder out loud whether the Ubuntu
kernel is using something like a genkernel install, with everything as
modules. If so, in that case, how would one get a snapshot of what is
being utilized?

Alan

Old 01-09-2008, 01:11 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Wednesday 09 January 2008, Alan E. Davis wrote:
> Thank you for the suggestions. I wonder out loud whether the Ubuntu
> kernel is using something like a genkernel install, with everything
> as modules. If so, in that case, how would one get a snapshot of
> what is being utilized?

Like most binary distros, on Ubuntu just about everything that can be a
module, is a module.

You can see how it's built by reading the config in /boot, or (maybe)
via /proc/config (if enabled) - it might be zipped as well.

To see the modules in use at any given time, lsmod. This gives you the
names of modules loaded. It's up to you to match that with actual
kernel config options (sometimes it's not obvious)

alan

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 06-14-2008, 08:00 PM
"Ivan Arteaga"

Hello,

I am running centOS 4.3 and my cups print server suddenly
stopped working, now when i reboot the server it hangs a
time starting the cups service and when finally the system
boots up, everything remains in the queue but not printing
at all. Strange thing is all the print jobs appears owned
by the user nobody.
anytime i try to cancel a job i cant because it tell me i
have no rights to do it despite im logged as root.

Via webmin i got the error: lprm: unable to lprm jobs

I will appreciate any comment or tip.

Regards,

--Ivan.

Old 06-14-2008, 11:39 PM
MHR

On Sat, Jun 14, 2008 at 1:00 PM, Ivan Arteaga <iarteaga@cwpanama.net> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am running centOS 4.3 and my cups print server suddenly stopped working,
> now when i reboot the server it hangs a time starting the cups service and
> when finally the system boots up, everything remains in the queue but not
> printing at all. Strange thing is all the print jobs appears owned by the
> user nobody.
> anytime i try to cancel a job i cant because it tell me i have no rights to
> do it despite im logged as root.
> Via webmin i got the error: lprm: unable to lprm jobs
>
> I will appreciate any comment or tip.

Have you tried using cancel instead of lprm?

mhr

Old 06-15-2008, 04:52 PM
Scott Silva

on 6-14-2008 1:00 PM Ivan Arteaga spake the following:

Hello,

I am running centOS 4.3 and my cups print server suddenly stopped
working, now when i reboot the server it hangs a time starting the cups
service and when finally the system boots up, everything remains in the
queue but not printing at all. Strange thing is all the print jobs
appears owned by the user nobody.
anytime i try to cancel a job i cant because it tell me i have no rights
to do it despite im logged as root.

Via webmin i got the error: lprm: unable to lprm jobs

I will appreciate any comment or tip.

Regards,

--Ivan.

Are you really that far behind updates that you are still on 4.3?

Current is 4.6, and there have been at least 3 cups updates since 4.3.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and

Old 08-15-2008, 09:16 AM
Alexander Petrov

Hi everyone,
I have Debian Etch 2.6.18-i686* on AMDSempron 3000+. I want to*install my HP DeskJet 920C on it. I downloaded*the recomended driver HP_deskjet_920C_hpijs.ppd*from linuxprinting.org and*installed it through*CUPS installation. The printer appeared it the Gnome panel.*When I tried to print*nothing happened. The print jobs*were in 'stopped' state.*
Any help would be appreciated.

*

Alexander Harizanov

Old 08-15-2008, 11:27 AM
Alex Samad

On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 12:16:24PM +0300, Alexander Petrov wrote:
> Hi everyone,I have Debian Etch 2.6.18-i686 on AMDSempron 3000+. I want to install my HP DeskJet 920C on it. I downloaded the recomended driver HP_deskjet_920C_hpijs.ppd from linuxprinting.org and installed it through CUPS installation. The printer appeared it the Gnome panel. When I tried to print nothing happened. The print jobs were in 'stopped' state. Any help would be appreciated.

Check out package hplip, I use this to add my hp printers to cups

--
"Too many good docs are getting out of the business. Too many OB-GYNs aren't able to practice their love with women all across this country."

- George W. Bush
09/06/2004
Poplar Bluff, MO

Old 08-16-2008, 01:07 AM
Andrew Reid

On Friday 15 August 2008 05:16, Alexander Petrov wrote:
> Hi everyone,I have Debian Etch 2.6.18-i686 on AMDSempron 3000+. I want to
> install my HP DeskJet 920C on it. I downloaded the recomended driver
> HP_deskjet_920C_hpijs.ppd from linuxprinting.org and installed it through
> CUPS installation. The printer appeared it the Gnome panel. When I tried to
> print nothing happened. The print jobs were in 'stopped' state. Any help
> would be appreciated.

Check the logs, cups is reasonably good about being informative
there. You can check them from the browser-client thing,
in which case you want "error logs", or just look in /var/log
for something plausible.

Sometimes ppd files depend on other things being installed --
I recently ran into this with a third-party ppd file for a Dell
printer that needed the "foomatic" driver package in order to
work.

-- A.
--
Andrew Reid / reidac@bellatlantic.net