Old 12-16-2007, 01:33 PM
Timothy Murphy

Default Cups problem

Craig White wrote:

> Now, just to show you how absurd your concept is of grep enabled=1 is...
> This was the contents of his /etc/yum.repos.d...
> atrpms.repo
> city-fan.org.repo

Please, no more incredibly long lists.
OK, he has a lot of files in yum.repos.d .
I believe you.

However, it doesn't matter if he has a million files there.
All that matters is how many are enabled (with "enabled=1").
As far as I can see, you never mentioned this rather important point.

> As I said, you admitted you didn't follow the thread, gave minimal
> thought to the issue of his /etc/yum.repos.d condition but feel
> competent to give opinions.

The title of the thread is "Cups problem".
I doubt if the OP's cups problem has anything to do with yum.repos.d .
He has cupsd running, but can't see localhost:631 .

As I said, the solution to the problem is almost certainly very simple,
and probably obvious on looking at /var/log/cups/error_log .

I'm entitled to my opinion; you are entitled to yours.
But I wish you and the OP would learn to trim your postings.
One does not need to know everything that has happened since 1066
in order to understand that someone has got something wrong in Iraq.

Old 12-16-2007, 01:40 PM
"Mikkel L. Ellertson"

Tim wrote:

> One opens a web browser, and tries getting the local CUPS website to
> show, either by browsing to http://localhost:631 or http://127.0.0.1:631
> (they're the same thing).
Unless he fixed his /etc/hosts file, they may not the same thing. He
had two entries for localhost, with two different IP addresses. I
think it uses the first match, but I am not sure. It wounder if the
problem is that CUPS is configured to only allow administrator
logins from 127.0.0.1, but because of the hosts problem, he is
connecting on the 192.168.x.x address. (I don't remember the IP
address.)

I have been skipping a lot of the messages in this thread because
they couldn't be bothered to trim their replies... So this may have
been fixed by now.

Mikkel

Old 12-16-2007, 02:01 PM
"Mikkel L. Ellertson"

Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Craig White wrote:
>
>> Now, just to show you how absurd your concept is of grep enabled=1 is...
>> This was the contents of his /etc/yum.repos.d...
>> atrpms.repo
>> city-fan.org.repo
>
> Please, no more incredibly long lists.
> OK, he has a lot of files in yum.repos.d .
> I believe you.
>
> However, it doesn't matter if he has a million files there.
> All that matters is how many are enabled (with "enabled=1").
> As far as I can see, you never mentioned this rather important point.
>
>> As I said, you admitted you didn't follow the thread, gave minimal
>> thought to the issue of his /etc/yum.repos.d condition but feel
>> competent to give opinions.
>
> The title of the thread is "Cups problem".
> I doubt if the OP's cups problem has anything to do with yum.repos.d .
> He has cupsd running, but can't see localhost:631 .

You missed the part where he didn't have cupsd running, and didn't
have the cups RPM installed. You also missed all the trouble he had
installing the cups RPM. You also missed the messed up /etc/hosts
file, so localhost may not have been 127.0.0.1.

> As I said, the solution to the problem is almost certainly very simple,
> and probably obvious on looking at /var/log/cups/error_log .
>
> I'm entitled to my opinion; you are entitled to yours.
> But I wish you and the OP would learn to trim your postings.
> One does not need to know everything that has happened since 1066
> in order to understand that someone has got something wrong in Iraq.

Considering all the problems the OP had, there is a lot of history
that is important here. Because of the repo setup, there were enough
problems just getting the cups RPM installed. (He had removed it
using rpm --force.) So even though the title says Cups problem,
there are a lot of other things involved as well. Even if it were a
simple matter to gets CUPS running at this point, if the other
problems are not fixed as well, then there will be more problems in
the future. Knowing something has gone wrong is easy. Fixing it so
that it stays fixed is something else. Fixing the visible problem,
without doing anything about the underlying causes of the problem
will often cause worse problems in the long run.

Mikkel

Old 12-16-2007, 02:30 PM
Timothy Murphy

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

>> The title of the thread is "Cups problem".
>> I doubt if the OP's cups problem has anything to do with yum.repos.d .
>> He has cupsd running, but can't see localhost:631 .
>>
> You missed the part where he didn't have cupsd running,

I didn't actually miss that.
But he seemed to have sorted it out,
and did indeed have cupsd running.

>> As I said, the solution to the problem is almost certainly very simple,
>> and probably obvious on looking at /var/log/cups/error_log .

> Considering all the problems the OP had, there is a lot of history
> that is important here.

Well, your view of the issue seems more or less identical to mine,
from your other posting in the thread today,
which I find encouraging, as your postings always seem helpful to me.

Doubtless the OP's system is in a mess (whose isn't?)
but if I were in his position I would prefer to get CUPS running,
and then sort out all the other problems later.

Old 12-16-2007, 02:34 PM
Tim

Tim:
>> One opens a web browser, and tries getting the local CUPS website to
>> show, either by browsing to http://localhost:631 or http://127.0.0.1:631
>> (they're the same thing).

Mikkel L. Ellertson:
> Unless he fixed his /etc/hosts file, they may not the same thing. He
> had two entries for localhost, with two different IP addresses.

I have been following the whole thread, reading all the messages, though
it is getting confusing. Not to mention, difficult to read. But what I
saw was that his hosts file was strangely like this:

127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
192.168.0.1 reddwarf localhost.localdomain

Later changing to another strange setup:

127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
192.168.0.1 reddwarf.localdomain 192.68.0.1

The latter looking like a line wrapping error crept in, But "localhost"
should have worked in the normal way. *Other* things may have had
problems, though.

> I wounder if the problem is that CUPS is configured to only allow
> administrator logins from 127.0.0.1, but because of the hosts problem,
> he is connecting on the 192.168.x.x address. (I don't remember the IP
> address.)

Administrative control is handled differently than the general access
for printing. Even if some rules prevented admin control, some access
ought to have worked. Unless, the cupds.conf file had been customised
strangely, too.

important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.

Old 12-16-2007, 03:49 PM
Craig White

----
#1, he has trouble editing these files.
#2, at least 47 out of the 54 files didn't belong there
#3, how would you know which fedora.repo/fedora.repo.rpmsaved would
ultimately point to the right repo and which didn't without examining
the contents of each of them...I thought I had a good strategy. Thanks
once again for the unknowledgeable suggestion from the cheap seats.
----

> > As I said, you admitted you didn't follow the thread, gave minimal
> > thought to the issue of his /etc/yum.repos.d condition but feel
> > competent to give opinions.
>
> The title of the thread is "Cups problem".
> I doubt if the OP's cups problem has anything to do with yum.repos.d .
> He has cupsd running, but can't see localhost:631 .
>
> As I said, the solution to the problem is almost certainly very simple,
> and probably obvious on looking at /var/log/cups/error_log .
>
> I'm entitled to my opinion; you are entitled to yours.
> But I wish you and the OP would learn to trim your postings.
> One does not need to know everything that has happened since 1066
> in order to understand that someone has got something wrong in Iraq.
----
The thread started with his doing an 'rpm -e --nodeps cups' and not only
was it not running, it wasn't installed. He finally got it installed
(somehow, apparently not by yum) and who knows which version or whether
the right dependencies but he has confirmed that it is not only
installed but also running and he can indeed open it with firefox but he
can't authenticate as root. Perhaps again, if you had followed the
thread as you admitted you hadn't, you would have realized all of that.

Therefore, your supposition that he can't see localhost:631 is entirely
wrong. He can connect.
Therefore, your entry into this thread was ill-conceived since you
didn't want to do the back reading.

As for trimming, I have judiciously trimmed my replies in almost all
cases.

Craig

Old 01-06-2008, 02:27 AM
"Alan E. Davis"

CUPS has been working flawlessly for quite some time, one of the feats
of newer GNU/Linux installs (to one who couldn't get an HP mainstream
inkjet working right some 10 years ago). Simultaneously, I notices
that Apple now owns the copyright, and after a recent upgrade, stopped
working.

I have to blame myself, because running cfg-update, the changes to
/etc/cups/cupsd.conf were considerable, involving three, and not two
files to be merged. The interface of xxdiff is not intuitive, to me:
I've blundered through it's kludgey structure for a while, but this
time I was genuinely confused. Furthermore, I made the mistake of
taking a stab in the dark.

So I uninstalled CUPS completely, and reinstalled. Then installed the
printer again. It is doing the same thing: the interface at
localhost:631 says that the printer is ready to print. Any job sent
to the queue, including test prints, are immediately "stopped".
Reprint a job, and it is immediately stopped.

Hypotheses:
New ASUS M2N-E Motherboard (was working before upgrading CUPS)
Configuration file issues. (I have deleted the entire directory
/etc/cups, and the new derault file was replaced with a simplified one
scavenged of a mailing list, but with no improvement.
Unknown factors (where to start?)

So I am turning to the mailing list for suggestions.

Any ideas?

Thank you,

Alan Davis

--
Alan Davis, Kagman High School, Saipan lngndvs@gmail.com

"It's never a matter of liking or disliking ..."
---Santa Ynez Chumash Medicine Man

Old 01-06-2008, 07:00 AM
Dale

Alan E. Davis wrote:
> CUPS has been working flawlessly for quite some time, one of the feats
> of newer GNU/Linux installs (to one who couldn't get an HP mainstream
> inkjet working right some 10 years ago). Simultaneously, I notices
> that Apple now owns the copyright, and after a recent upgrade, stopped
> working.
>
> I have to blame myself, because running cfg-update, the changes to
> /etc/cups/cupsd.conf were considerable, involving three, and not two
> files to be merged. The interface of xxdiff is not intuitive, to me:
> I've blundered through it's kludgey structure for a while, but this
> time I was genuinely confused. Furthermore, I made the mistake of
> taking a stab in the dark.
>
> So I uninstalled CUPS completely, and reinstalled. Then installed the
> printer again. It is doing the same thing: the interface at
> localhost:631 says that the printer is ready to print. Any job sent
> to the queue, including test prints, are immediately "stopped".
> Reprint a job, and it is immediately stopped.
>
> Hypotheses:
> New ASUS M2N-E Motherboard (was working before upgrading CUPS)
> Configuration file issues. (I have deleted the entire directory
> /etc/cups, and the new derault file was replaced with a simplified one
> scavenged of a mailing list, but with no improvement.
> Unknown factors (where to start?)
>
> So I am turning to the mailing list for suggestions.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Alan Davis

I ran into something similar to the a while back and I had to un-merge
cups, delete the config files, then reemerge cups and reconfigure my
printer. Keep in mind that when you unmerge something, the config
files remain in /etc unchanged.

This may not help your situation but I hope it does.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 01-06-2008, 03:48 PM
Mick

On Sunday 06 January 2008, Dale wrote:
> Alan E. Davis wrote:
> >
> > Any ideas?

> I ran into something similar to the a while back and I had to un-merge
> cups, delete the config files, then reemerge cups and reconfigure my
> printer. Keep in mind that when you unmerge something, the config
> files remain in /etc unchanged.

Assuming that you have set the correct device in the GUI for your printer,
then the most likely error is that your have not provided the correct path
for it. Show us what you have defined the path as in case we can help.
Mick

Old 01-06-2008, 11:00 PM
"Alan E. Davis"

I have installed two or three times, deleted /etc/cups and reinstalled
the printer. It showed up as an HPLIP device when installing, w/ CUPS
and/or the kde printer utility. NOtably the utility OR the
localhost:631 interface did not show any option for a USB printer.
The address that ended up being used was a usb:<printername>. When I
get gentoo booted up I'll look at it again. For now, I have to print,
so I've installed Ubuntu on another partition. Printing works fine
there, so that's a start.

Thank you,

Alan