Old 12-07-2007, 04:35 PM
Mick

Default New hibernate modules in 2.6.23-gentoo-r3

Hi All,

Could you please help me understand how I should be setting hibernation for my
laptop:

There an new hibernate options in the new stable kernel:
[*] Suspend to RAM and standby[*] Hibernation (aka 'suspend to disk')
(/dev/hda1) Default resume partition[*] ACPI Support (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface) Support --->

Now, the last option contains:

--- ACPI Support (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface) Support
[ ] Deprecated /proc/acpi files
[ ] Deprecated /proc/acpi/event support

which if I deselect I end up with boot errors because the acpid no longer
finds the relevant files:

* Starting acpid ...
acpid: can't open /proc/acpi/event: No such file or directory [ !! ]

So, the question is: how is one supposed to configure hibernation under the
new setup? Is acpid deprecated altogether and should be removed, or should I
keep it and re-enable the deprecated files and event support in the kernel.
(The Docs seem to hint that it may still be of use, which implies that the
deprecated modules should be enabled.)
Mick

Old 12-07-2007, 06:45 PM
Rumen Yotov

Mick написа:
> Hi All,
>
> Could you please help me understand how I should be setting hibernation for my
> laptop:
>
> There an new hibernate options in the new stable kernel:
>
>[*] Suspend to RAM and standby
>[*] Hibernation (aka 'suspend to disk')
> (/dev/hda1) Default resume partition
>[*] ACPI Support (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface) Support --->
>
> Now, the last option contains:
>
> --- ACPI Support (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface) Support
> [ ] Deprecated /proc/acpi files
> [ ] Deprecated /proc/acpi/event support
>
> which if I deselect I end up with boot errors because the acpid no longer
> finds the relevant files:
>
> * Starting acpid ...
> acpid: can't open /proc/acpi/event: No such file or directory [ !! ]
>
> So, the question is: how is one supposed to configure hibernation under the
> new setup? Is acpid deprecated altogether and should be removed, or should I
> keep it and re-enable the deprecated files and event support in the kernel.
> (The Docs seem to hint that it may still be of use, which implies that the
> deprecated modules should be enabled.)
Hi,

Do you have sys-power/acpid installed ?
Beside it's in-kernel support.
Rumen

Old 12-07-2007, 10:56 PM
Mick

On Friday 07 December 2007, Rumen Yotov wrote:
> Mick написа:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > Could you please help me understand how I should be setting hibernation
> > for my laptop:
> >
> > There an new hibernate options in the new stable kernel:
> >
> >[*] Suspend to RAM and standby
> >[*] Hibernation (aka 'suspend to disk')
> > (/dev/hda1) Default resume partition
> >[*] ACPI Support (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface) Support
> > --->
> >
> > Now, the last option contains:
> >
> > --- ACPI Support (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface) Support
> > [ ] Deprecated /proc/acpi files
> > [ ] Deprecated /proc/acpi/event support
> >
> > which if I deselect I end up with boot errors because the acpid no longer
> > finds the relevant files:
> >
> > * Starting acpid ...
> > acpid: can't open /proc/acpi/event: No such file or directory [ !! ]
> >
> > So, the question is: how is one supposed to configure hibernation under
> > the new setup? Is acpid deprecated altogether and should be removed, or
> > should I keep it and re-enable the deprecated files and event support in
> > the kernel. (The Docs seem to hint that it may still be of use, which
> > implies that the deprecated modules should be enabled.)
>
> Hi,
>
> Do you have sys-power/acpid installed ?
> Beside it's in-kernel support.

Thanks Rumen ,

Yes I have been running sys-power/acpid for the last couple of years. Am I
supposed to unmerge this now?
Mick

Old 12-07-2007, 11:35 PM
"Hemmann, Volker Armin"

On Freitag, 7. Dezember 2007, Mick wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Could you please help me understand how I should be setting hibernation for
> my laptop:
>
> There an new hibernate options in the new stable kernel:
>
>[*] Suspend to RAM and standby
>[*] Hibernation (aka 'suspend to disk')
> (/dev/hda1) Default resume partition
>[*] ACPI Support (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface) Support
> --->
>
> Now, the last option contains:
>
> --- ACPI Support (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface) Support
> [ ] Deprecated /proc/acpi files
> [ ] Deprecated /proc/acpi/event support
>
> which if I deselect I end up with boot errors because the acpid no longer
> finds the relevant files:
>
> * Starting acpid ...
> acpid: can't open /proc/acpi/event: No such file or directory [ !! ]
>
> So, the question is: how is one supposed to configure hibernation under
> the new setup? Is acpid deprecated altogether and should be removed, or
> should I keep it and re-enable the deprecated files and event support in
> the kernel. (The Docs seem to hint that it may still be of use, which
> implies that the deprecated modules should be enabled.)

acpid is just not 'ready' for moving away from the deprecated files. Just
select the two options - it won't hurt. And they will stay for a long, long
time.

--
Conclusions
In a straight-up fight, the Empire squashes the Federation like a bug. Even

Old 12-08-2007, 02:03 PM
Mick

On Saturday 08 December 2007, Hemmann, Volker Armin wrote:
> On Freitag, 7. Dezember 2007, Mick wrote:

> > So, the question is: how is one supposed to configure hibernation under
> > the new setup? Is acpid deprecated altogether and should be removed, or
> > should I keep it and re-enable the deprecated files and event support in
> > the kernel. (The Docs seem to hint that it may still be of use, which
> > implies that the deprecated modules should be enabled.)
>
> acpid is just not 'ready' for moving away from the deprecated files. Just
> select the two options - it won't hurt. And they will stay for a long, long
> time.

Cool, works fine now with the acpid scripts and files.

Thank you.
Mick